Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 3,647 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are a family originally from North Jersey (NY Metro area) who has spent the last few years moving around the NorthEast (Western Mass, Connecticut Shoreline, Hudson Valley). We are now looking to relocate to a beach town and wonder if there is anyone here who lives somewhere they could recommend with the following qualities:

1. Location: We've discovered we NEED to be near the water--open ocean preferred, but Sound, Gulf, or Bay areas also possible. By "near," we mean no farther than a very short walk (less than 5 min walk?). Water view from our home, even a slight one, would be terrific if we could find it in our price range. Nothing like waking up to a view of the ocean to fill your day with possibilities!

2. Climate: we have lived in the northeast most of our lives (except for a short stint in San Diego) and while there is lots to like about this area, we are getting sick of the cold. Someplace with seasons would still be nice, but not so much snow and ice please.

3. Cost: 3 BR homes should generally go for $400,000 or less, with taxes on them $6,000 or less . Borderline is okay if you want to recommend something slightly higher; even someplace where we could get a fixer-upper for that amount could possibly work. We will probably start off renting, so rent for a 2-3 BR should be no more than $2000 generally for something walking distance to the beach.

4. Schools: we are looking for good public schools as we have young children, but we are slightly picky when we say "good schools." I'm not talking about hyper-academic schools where they start drilling the children in Kindergarten with worksheets and 30 minutes of homework each night (this is what we had in Connecticut). Most schools are rated based on their test scores, which makes it difficult to find a school that knows how to encourage high academic standards by instilling a *genuine* love of learning and a *balanced* atmosphere at the school (vs. total high academic pressure), while also letting children be children. This requires a progressive community, and usually works better in a small school district. Someplace with affordable private schools, unique charter schools that aren't impossible to get in to, or magnet schools would also be an option.

5. Neighborhood: We are looking for someplace with a genuine neighborhood feel--where people live relatively close to one another (not too rural), know their neighbors, children play at each other's houses and in each other's yards, where neighbor's come together to help one another in times of need. I don't think anyone actually prefers the stereotypical small-town busy-body or the smothering pressure for homogeneity that can happen in small towns, but rather we're looking for a place that has a true sense of community. A place with walk-able sidewalks, where people will wave and say hello from their front porches, maybe even invite you in for a snack, or stop by for a chat as they are passing yours.

6. Work: We work from home, so job center not too important.

7. Culture: Would be great to be within 40 minutes of someplace where you can get a great meal, see a little theater, music, dance or art, etc. We don't go out too much, but having something to do around once a month is nice. The immediate neighborhood should be inclusive and tolerant. We are not hard-core hippies, but we do lean to the left so a place known for its conservatism or homogeneity wouldn't work. A place where people like to openly debate politics, religion, art and economics would be wonderful!

8. Coffee: I've left the most important criteria for last! Cafe culture strongly preferred. Must have a good "third place" where people congregate--where you can stop by and usually see someone you know. A place where people talk to strangers.

I know these are a lot of criteria, but the internet is a big place and I'm hoping someone reading this will say, "Hey, this pretty much describes MY town!" If you've got some of the qualities but not others, please comment because we will probably end up having to prioritize and compromise.

Many, many thanks for any helpful comments. If, on the other hand, you think this is the stupidest post you've ever seen and I must be some kind of total moron, please don't bother to respond. I don't know why people waste their time responding to posts they think are idiotic, but there seems to be a lot of that here.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 PM

93,100 posts, read 123,681,975 times
Perhaps Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach and maybe Wilmington NC.

Old 03-22-2011, 01:39 PM

148 posts, read 370,606 times
Virginia Beach comes to mind almost right away. It's more family friendly and more affordable than a place like San Diego.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:03 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,997,474 times
You can get a 3 bedroom town house in Huntington Beach, CA in your price range. For a little bit more you can get a detached home. These homes are all walking distance to the downtown village.

I like to call it a college town without a college. UCI and CalState Long Beach are both nearby.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,647 times
Thanks for some quick suggestions!

I've always figured Virginia Beach to be a pretty conservative place--am I wrong?

Huntington Beach is an interesting prospect. Thanks again!

Old 03-22-2011, 03:58 PM

68 posts, read 179,484 times
Jersey Shore & Florida Gulf Coast (Tampa Bay Area) has nice family oriented places to live. North Carolina & down in Texas(Galveston) are nice as well. I just don't know how great of expectations of education you have. But all areas have decent-good public schools, good-great private schools, and great university systems in and around each area. There are plenty of quality beach towns really everywhere these are some that I know of.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:10 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,997,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenn1967 View Post

Huntington Beach is an interesting prospect. Thanks again!

Im also from the NY Metro Area. The transition to NY was very easy. You are also between two major areas (LA and San Diego)

My friend has been looking for a home and we are both very surprised how relatively inexpensive some of the home prices are. The Downside is that you really have no yard, but the upside is that the HOAs provide more than adequate green/open space (and there are tons of parks here and the worlds largest ocean is walking distance)

Old 03-22-2011, 04:13 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,908,945 times
Corpus Christi, Texas, or for a smaller town, nearby Aransas Pass or Rockport.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:21 PM

148 posts, read 370,606 times
Virginia Beach is pretty much 50/50 in terms of liberal/conservative. I used to live in Sacramento, CA and found the transition to be pretty smooth if not transparent. There's not as much diversity persay than Sacramento, but it's close due to the transient population nearby as well as the tourists. There's a lot of good schools in the area as well as Chesapeake and it's a very family friendly environment throughout the year.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 AM

68 posts, read 179,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Corpus Christi, Texas, or for a smaller town, nearby Aransas Pass or Rockport.
Another good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.