Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 06:10 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,541,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
No you don't.

Then why are the BB/pellet pistols locked up with conventional handguns with a sign that says "purchase permit required"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 07:06 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,712,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Then why are the BB/pellet pistols locked up with conventional handguns with a sign that says "purchase permit required"?
because the display you are seeing is for handguns of any type, the permit is for the "real" handguns". Not the spring powered ones. All you have to be is 18 years old. Pellet guns of all types though are considered firearms and all regulations have to be followed. BB guns are NOT considered firearms and therefore do NOT fall under the regulations for firearms.

Quote:
directly from MI penal code section 750-222 paragraph d:
Or Section 28-421
Firearm does not include a smooth bore rifle or handgun designed and manufactured exclusively for propelling by a spring, or by gas or air, BB's not exceeding .177 caliber.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,541,704 times
So I do need a purchase permit for a pellet pistol, which is an airgun and not a real firearm. I told you Michigan's laws were silly. You don't need any permits in Ohio or Indiana for pellet guns.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:51 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,114,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
Read the British press and you'd think that every street in every town in Britain is a war zone, the reality is thankfully still very different.

There has certainly been an increase in gun crime in the UK over the past 20 years or so but these incidents are still nearly always confined to certain gangs on certain estates (projects in the US) within our larger cities.

Britain's certainly not without its problems but for the vast majority of people here, it'd still be incredibly difficult to get your hands on a gun.
With your strict gun control, how has gun crime increased so much? Seems a contradiction in terms. Consider too, that a gun is a great equalizer. An 80 year old grandmother with a gun might have a chance against a young beefy thug breaking into her house. Unarmed, she is no match for him and he can tear her limb from limb.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:53 AM

643 posts, read 1,119,020 times
This may not be about a grandma but still impressive...

A knife thug was left battered after trying to rob a 71-year-old ex-boxing champ | The Sun |News

Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,114,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Good enough for him. Something like that should happen to every thug who attacks a citizen anywhere. 4-5 years ago, we had a motel clerk shoot an armed robber. Robber was arrested 30 minutes later at emergency room. Some years before that, a pizza driver killed a mugger. That was a time when muggings were at a record high in our city. Someone made a phony call, driver takes pizza there. Thug comes from shrubbery, points gun and demands $. Driver pulls from pocket, but it's not $, it's a pistol. 2 shots to chest, no more mugger. Muggings dropped to 0 for about 2 weeks after that.

Gas station owner was robbed years back. He started open carrying a pistol on his hip. Has never been robbed since then.

Old 05-09-2011, 03:36 PM

643 posts, read 1,119,020 times
When it comes to shop owners/workers they have to be careful about carrying a weapon. Sometimes the best thing to do is give over the stuff and maybe get a cheeky shot when their back is turned!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 PM

142 posts, read 441,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
With your strict gun control, how has gun crime increased so much? Seems a contradiction in terms. Consider too, that a gun is a great equalizer. An 80 year old grandmother with a gun might have a chance against a young beefy thug breaking into her house. Unarmed, she is no match for him and he can tear her limb from limb.
I wasn't trying to get into a debate re: whether guns should be readily available to the public. I simply wanted to explain in a little more detail the reality of guns in the UK.

By the way, i haven't heard of many 80yr old women being torn limb from limb but perhaps it happens every day as they are unarmed and i don't hear about it.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,786,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I never claimed that, we have many problems. But I don't recall knowing anyone who moved to NJ from anywhere for better opportunities. I knew one guy who went there 40 years ago for work, then moved back in recent years. I know 15-20 people from NJ who moved here & never plan to return. 1 guy hated NJ so badly, he advises friends not to even travel through there on the interstate. He may be a little extreme.
Pay no attention to that guy. He's a troll who hates NC (and particularly Charlotte) for some reason but finds a way to comment on anything relating to the place everywhere he can. He seems obsessed really.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:03 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,354,129 times
In New Mexico its pretty easy. You do need a background check for handguns unless you buy from a gun show / private sale.

Most of the people I know buy from Gun Shows / Private Sales. I used to organise a Gun Show here myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.