Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 05:01 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times

Advertisements

Deja Vu http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...can-their.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
What is the cause of this identity confusion?
Mostly because their heritage goes back in so many different directions that they don't usually identify with one ethnicity over another.

I am a mutt who most strongly identifies as Irish only because I have red hair, freckles, and an ancestor with the surname of Kelly as proof, but in reality I have no stronger ties to my Irish ancestry than I do to any of my many other bloodlines.

Last edited by DubbleT; 03-26-2011 at 05:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 05:10 PM

399 posts, read 819,940 times
We have already tried to answer the question in another topic.

The best answer would be that the majority of white southerner are of English/Scottish/Scots-Irish ancestry or generally of British ancestry.
But these ancestors come for most of very far and like other region of America, the south is a melting-pot, even if diversity is more limited, so it's difficult to know precisely.

For those who say they're also of Cherokee descent, I have even more doubts about the true number...

By the way, their nationality is American, you may confuse nationality and ancestry.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:38 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
I went to Ireland and England when I was younger wanting to see the "home" countries where my families came from and after returning I really realized that I was an American and there was no connection to those places. All the talk about Irish pride or Italian American whatever is crap because we're Americans and those ties are long gone.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,999,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosis View Post
90% of the ones I've asked, they simply just don't know and reply "White" this is all they know. Is it lacking culture in these states? What is the cause of this identity confusion?
I'm pretty sure that, if you asked any Southerner what their "nationality" is, they would all most definitely reply "American". Also, to suggest that Southern states don't have "culture" is insulting. Besides- what is wrong with being "white"? Why would that identity be confusing? To me, it's a whole lot less confusing than this thread.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I am wondering what drew all those people who were born in Ireland, England or Germany to move to the southern U.S. Do they say if their move was permanent or temporary?
??? The immigrants that came to the US in the 1800's did so to keep their families from starving to death. (Among other reasons) They settled in the South because that's where there were established agricultural areas for the men to get work. I'm pretty sure (since it's been, like, 200 years now) that the move was permanent.

Where the heck are these people from who are asking these questions? This is truly one of the weirdest threads I've ran across in a while.

Old 03-26-2011, 09:59 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
I went to Ireland and England when I was younger wanting to see the "home" countries where my families came from and after returning I really realized that I was an American and there was no connection to those places. All the talk about Irish pride or Italian American whatever is crap because we're Americans and those ties are long gone.
I'm pretty sure you don't speak for everyone. Many Americans are just one generation removed from their European ancestral homelands and still have relatives there.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm pretty sure you don't speak for everyone. Many Americans are just one generation removed from their European ancestral homelands and still have relatives there.
For real. My principal's secretary is 1st generation Irish.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:18 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
The big wave of European immigrants in the late 19th and early 20th Centuries largely bypassed the South, and record-keeping probably wasn't as good back then, so a lot of people in the South might not be as sure of their ancestry, although it's fair to say that most are probably English or Scotch-Irish.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:04 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash XY View Post
We have already tried to answer the question in another topic.

The best answer would be that the majority of white southerner are of English/Scottish/Scots-Irish ancestry or generally of British ancestry.
But these ancestors come for most of very far and like other region of America, the south is a melting-pot, even if diversity is more limited, so it's difficult to know precisely.

For those who say they're also of Cherokee descent, I have even more doubts about the true number...

By the way, their nationality is American, you may confuse nationality and ancestry.
The idea that the south is not diverse really needs to be put to bed. 4 out of the top 10 most diverse states are in the south, 7 of the top 15 and 11 of the top 20.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:18 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,464,653 times
The White Southerners with wealthy backgrounds usually have English roots and are usually Episcopalian or Methodist while the poorer White Southerners tend to have Scots-Irish backgrounds and tend to be Baptist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.