Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM

643 posts, read 1,118,694 times

Advertisements

Since the oil spill a number of people are boycotting their stations when filling up.

I get why they are doing it but what do you think of the people that are doing it.
Remember a number of Americans will have pensions paid by BP and BP is a large multi national company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,484,119 times
I don't buy from BP often. I tend to stick with Chevron. I uh... don't know if that counts. I don't like BP for the oil spill for sure.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,818,776 times
I am/was.....but boycotting the stations is hurting the "little guy" who owns the local franchise the most. Although if you want to make a statement, you have to start there, unfortunately. I don't usually feel bad for people who work for a criminalistic company and complain that none of what they do is "their fault". I disagree, if they employ you, you make money from them, you help them make more money, and you adhere to their demands/goals, then you ARE them.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Since the oil spill a number of people are boycotting their stations when filling up.

I get why they are doing it but what do you think of the people that are doing it.
Remember a number of Americans will have pensions paid by BP and BP is a large multi national company.
Why did you remind us of this -- is this a threat? Do you think pensions won't be paid if BP goes bankrupt and liquifies their assets? I don't remember where in the pecking order pensions and other liabilites fall during liquidation/bankrupcy but it's definitely higher up the ladder.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:26 PM

769 posts, read 1,723,546 times
BP makes most of their money from selling food and drinks and stuff at the food mart, not from gas. By boycotting BP, all you're doing is causing the franchise owners to lose money. BP is a huge company, they will always be rich no matter what. I don't really care, I fill up wherever it's cheaper.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:27 PM

643 posts, read 1,118,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Why did you remind us of this -- is this a threat? Do you think pensions won't be paid if BP goes bankrupt and liquifies their assets? I don't remember where in the pecking order pensions and other liabilites fall during liquidation/bankrupcy but it's definitely higher up the ladder.
Is this a threat? Are you one of those people that thinks BP stands for British People?

I simply stated a point.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonUSA View Post
Is this a threat? Are you one of those people that thinks BP stands for British People?

I simply stated a point.
What are you talking about? You answered my question with a question, in other words, you deflected the question. This is nothing against Great Britain, get over yourself.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:26 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,937,733 times
Most gas stations are franchises. Most gasoline comes from the same distribution center.
Boycotting a filling station will only hurt the franchisee. (Boycot only if there is blatant price gouging)

Old 04-13-2011, 08:37 PM

840 posts, read 2,076,079 times
I boycott just one BP, its in Charlotte, NC on Ashley Rd. If I had the exact address I would give it to you. But no I would never boycott a business like BP with franchises.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:39 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,889,678 times
Nobody is boycotting BP. Most people probably don't even remember they have beef with BP. That was sooooo last summer.

Honestly, I think your perception of American attitudes towards the UK are a little off. Didn't you start another thread asking if Americans really hated the British or something??

Quit worrying. We love you guys!! It's the rest of the damn world we hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.