Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 03:43 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times

Advertisements

Look at :

2010 US Census News & Data - USATODAY.com

Pretty interesting stats.Texas has (for the moment) the highest diversity index, and Vermont the lowest (lowest than South Dakota, it's unbelievable for a northeastern state)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 04:07 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Look at :

2010 US Census News & Data - USATODAY.com

Pretty interesting stats.Texas has (for the moment) the highest diversity index, and Vermont the lowest (lowest than South Dakota, it's unbelievable for a northeastern state)
I don't know why Vermont having no diversity surprises you. It has been that way forever, and when I say forever I mean like since 1776. It was the first to abolish slavery so you had no slave owners or slaves to make the population diverse and a good portion of the borders of the state were really not conducive to migration in the colonies early years so that kept the population low and mostly white. When the states were getting an influx of immigrants there was really no reason to go to Vermont, farming there is hard, no manufacturing, etc. And now many people that are non whites look at the state and ask themselves could I live in a state where I would probably never see another person of color?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:38 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Yeah. Maybe the person was interested in it not changing much. I think Connecticut was once pretty white, but it's received a fair amount of Cape Verdeans and Jamaicans. I think even Maine has received some non-white migration. Vermont I think did get some "French-Canadian" or Quebecois immigration at times, but those would still generally count as "white." (A few might have very partial indigenous ancestry I guess) Chittenden looks to be the most "diverse county" in Vermont at "just" 92.5% white.

Although according to this there still are counties outside Vermont that look to be less "diverse than any county in Vermont. Dickenson County, Virginia has a diversity index of 3. No Vermont county looks to be below a 7. Maryland is counted as quite diverse, but the state's Garret County has a diversity index of 5. Hanson County, South Dakota has a DI of 3. The counties that contain Dallas and Houston appear to have the highest of counties they list as both had 75. Still many states are not yet counted.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:50 AM

21 posts, read 25,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
I don't know why Vermont having no diversity surprises you. It has been that way forever, and when I say forever I mean like since 1776. It was the first to abolish slavery so you had no slave owners or slaves to make the population diverse and a good portion of the borders of the state were really not conducive to migration in the colonies early years so that kept the population low and mostly white. When the states were getting an influx of immigrants there was really no reason to go to Vermont, farming there is hard, no manufacturing, etc. And now many people that are non whites look at the state and ask themselves could I live in a state where I would probably never see another person of color?
Vermont has diversity. FL is the state lacking.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:58 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Yeah. Maybe the person was interested in it not changing much. I think Connecticut was once pretty white, but it's received a fair amount of Cape Verdeans and Jamaicans. I think even Maine has received some non-white migration. Vermont I think did get some "French-Canadian" or Quebecois immigration at times, but those would still generally count as "white." (A few might have very partial indigenous ancestry I guess) Chittenden looks to be the most "diverse county" in Vermont at "just" 92.5% white.

Although according to this there still are counties outside Vermont that look to be less "diverse than any county in Vermont. Dickenson County, Virginia has a diversity index of 3. No Vermont county looks to be below a 7. Maryland is counted as quite diverse, but the state's Garret County has a diversity index of 5. Hanson County, South Dakota has a DI of 3. The counties that contain Dallas and Houston appear to have the highest of counties they list as both had 75. Still many states are not yet counted.
I think the big difference between Vermont and Conn., Maine, etc is they have the coast and with that comes the docks where people would enter the country.

If you break it down to county level you will get some areas that are not diverse at all but it will be on both sides of the spectrum. Those counties mentioned are also extremely small.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:30 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,747,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the redneck riviera View Post
Florida lacks diversity. Understand?
can you actually explain what you mean instead of just saying it and expecting us to totally understand

Old 02-22-2011, 11:02 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
You know what's awesome? Vermont is notorious for its liberalism, yet it's the least diverse state in the United States. Meanwhile, Texas, the favorite punchline among liberals in the last 10 years, is the most diverse state in the United States. Ironic, no?

Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
So am curious if not on the mexican borer or the influx from there, what would be the change to the index

meaning if this population were at the national average (for hispanic), understanding it cant be done, but outside of this aspect is TX truly diverse. Overall the population seems mostly non-integrated and co-existing, not much different than many other first/second generation immigrant groups

Old 02-22-2011, 11:11 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
You know what's awesome? Vermont is notorious for its liberalism, yet it's the least diverse state in the United States. Meanwhile, Texas, the favorite punchline among liberals in the last 10 years, is the most diverse state in the United States. Ironic, no?
Ahaha so true

Old 02-22-2011, 11:35 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That doesn't mean a thing. Calirnonia is notoriously liberal and it IS the most diverse state in the country. So I see zero correlation here. I'm sure you'll get lots of responses from political blowhards who love to argue, but you don't have much of a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.