U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2011, 02:13 PM

928 posts, read 1,402,272 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are in our mid-twenties and looking for a new place to live to start the next chapter in our lives. I'll tell you a little about us and would love input on where we should live next!

We both currently work in the film industry (we work on movie sets on major films and TV shows). We have mostly worked in NYC and have lived in Brooklyn. A thriving movie industry is NOT an absolute requirement for where ever we move but it would be nice if there was at least a decent independent movie-making scene and a young, creative population. We are both from the East Coast (Massachusetts and Connecticut). Here are some of the things we're looking for in our next place to live:

WANT:
- lots of restaurants, bars, and shopping
- good music scene
- lots of green space
- a walking/biking friendly city with a health and environment-conscious population
- pet friendly
- access to hiking and a coast within a 2-3 hour drive (would love there to be surfing nearby!)
- rents for a 1-bedroom or studio in the $1000-$1550 range (house or apartment)
- we both prefer warm weather to cold

Would love some suggestions. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 02:18 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,569,115 times
I wanted to give you a new suggestion that you probably hadn't thought of, but despite that I still feel like I have to say Austin.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:19 PM

38 posts, read 74,568 times
DC, SF, or Atlanta.
Possibly Miami?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:21 PM

38 posts, read 74,568 times
Wait wouldn't LA be the most ideal city?

Old 03-27-2011, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Please keep them coming.

DCpictures - LA is the most obvious for my career, but I'm trying to see what my other options are as far as my interests. LA just seems so sprawling (a concrete jungle) and I'm kind of trying to get away from that since it was a big dislike of mine in NYC.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:32 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,569,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far! Please keep them coming.

DCpictures - LA is the most obvious for my career, but I'm trying to see what my other options are as far as my interests. LA just seems so sprawling (a concrete jungle) and I'm kind of trying to get away from that since it was a big dislike of mine in NYC.
LA is definately sprawling but it's not a concrete jungle like NYC. San Diego would be another option. It's a little more affordable than LA but still very within driving distance. I like San Diego better than LA myself.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:14 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,110,159 times
Vancouver? The film industry - as I'm sure you know - has been filming a lot in BC for quite some time now to cut costs, so I'm sure you could get work there. It seems to me as though a lot of movies that are purportedly located in the US are filmed in BC. Case in point: I was watching a movie just the other night that was supposed to be located in Reno, NV, but was obviously filmed in the Pacific Northwest; it was pretty funny! Good luck with the relocation.

Old 03-27-2011, 11:03 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,091,270 times
I second Austin it has alot of what your looking for great outdoor activities with tons of parks and Greenbelts plenty of restaurants and Corpus Christi is about 3 hours for the beach

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOABhN4hj3I

Austin Film Society - Welcome to the Austin Film Society!

Austin Studios

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Greenbelts

Austin, TX | Austin Events, Hotels, Attractions, Things To Do & More | AustinTexas.org

Old 03-27-2011, 11:16 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far everyone!

I'd say my biggest contender currently is Austin. Have always loved it as most of my family lives there. Just not sure I can handle the humidity in the summer... So looking for other possible options!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or