Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puerto Rico the 51st state?
Yes 78 46.71%
No 89 53.29%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 PM

105 posts, read 212,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Puerto Rico has got to get on the USA's level if it ever wants to become a state. It's basically a third world country now

(ive been there so hold your lame arguments)
Yea, it's pretty ghetto. This country will definitely have some problems to fix theirs, as if we have the money to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 02:54 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Have you ever been there? Outside from the rural areas, pretty much everyone speaks English for the most part. Yes Spanish is the main spoken language, but if you were to visit Puerto Rico and only knew English, you wouldn't have that big of a problem.

I don't see how language would cause such a big no from you. It think you are overracting the language issue. If anything it would be more of a struggle for Puerto Ricans than the mainland U.S. for languages.
Irrelevant. Point blank, the U.S. should not allow in any territory in which English is not already the overwhelmingly dominant language. Adding more Spanish-speakers? No, the very thought is a misstep.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:48 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Irrelevant. Point blank, the U.S. should not allow in any territory in which English is not already the overwhelmingly dominant language. Adding more Spanish-speakers? No, the very thought is a misstep.
Right because Hawaii has been worthless right? I think I see where you are coming from, apparently against Spanish speakers or something as well as immigrants. Just FYI, Puerto Rico has contributed many citizens to fight in World War II, the Korean War and the Vietnam War. Puerto Rico also had to give up an island Vieques, so that the American military can bomb it to for whatever reasons. So saying that exclusively because of Spanish they should not be allowed statehood I think is ignorant. There are probably some Puerto Ricans out there that have probably done more for this country than you or I have ever.

I can understand if you said that because Puerto Rico leaches money from the American government, or something like that, I could understand. But because of language? English is taught as a requirement in Puerto Rico, so please, the issue here isn't language, it's economics, development, money, etc.

Last edited by chikid; 03-28-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 03-28-2011, 08:30 PM

34 posts, read 187,311 times
Quote:
Puerto Rico has got to get on the USA's level if it ever wants to become a state. It's basically a third world country now

(ive been there so hold your lame arguments)
How is Puerto Rico like a third world country?

The standard of living in Puerto Rico is significantly higher than the rest of Latin America, even pretty well off places like Argentina, Chile, and Uruguay.

One of the highest rates of college graduates in the world, unfortunately the economic outlook is not on par so there is a lack of professional jobs.

There is only one major shantytown left in Puerto Rico and the government is in the process of tearing it down to build what I believe is mixed income housing. There is low income public housing scattered across the island for the poor (mostly San Juan), and much of that is being torn down for mixed income housing. There are major infrastructure projects in the works. First rapid transit system (subway) built in the Caribbean, light rail and street car systems in San Juan.

Remember, PR is already part of the United States.

Puerto Rico has it's problems and those problems negatively effect the life of many and should not be belittled but the island is NOT the third world. It has too much economic power and a high quality of life for most.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:33 PM

Yeah these people that are saying Puerto Rico is third world, have either never been to Puerto Rico, or never been to a true third world country. Puerto Rico would be the poorest state, but it is far from being third world. Just alone compare the standard of living in Jamaica and the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico. You will clearly see that Puerto Rico is not third world.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:44 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
Ok, ok. I guess it's not technically a third-world country. I know what that is. I studied it in college while obtaining a Bachelor's Degree. However, PR is still a poor poor place. Saying "It's economy is better than the rest of Latin America" isn't really saying much, especially when PR is a territory of the USA.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Ok, ok. I guess it's not technically a third-world country. I know what that is. I studied it in college while obtaining a Bachelor's Degree. However, PR is still a poor poor place. Saying "It's economy is better than the rest of Latin America" isn't really saying much, especially when PR is a territory of the USA.
Well I think that's my point. It's economy really is not that big and not that great. It's the standard of living that is one of the highest in Latin American and easily in the top 5 probably following Canada, U.S., Chile, and maybe another country in the Western Hemisphere.

The only reason it's standard of living is so high is because of the U.S. Now if Puerto Rico became independent, yes it would indeed become a very third world country.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:55 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,675,473 times
I think that if the Puerto Rican people wanted to be a 'state' enough, they would have made a hard enough push to become so. I think being a UNITED STATE is a priveledge that shouldn't be taken for granted. It's something that the people fo the island should have fought hard for (or should fight hard for) if that's what they really want

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 PM

You also have to think about it. That status quo is pretty sweet deal though. I recently heard in an article that there is referndum or they are trying to pass some bill that when the next time Puerto Rico votes for either independence, statehood, or commonwealth, that the commonwealth opition will be gone. They will basically have to either choose between statehood or independent country. I think they are realizing that they can no longer depend on the U.S. as a commonwealth as their economy is just tragic right now.

I am pretty sure they will do for a state, because all they have to do is look to the west and the southwest to their neighbors to really see what they will be like. If anything, most of the educated people are leaving the island like crazy due to the economy, so I think some stabilization from being a state would help and curb the mass exodus.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 PM

34 posts, read 187,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
Yeah these people that are saying Puerto Rico is third world, have either never been to Puerto Rico, or never been to a true third world country. Puerto Rico would be the poorest state, but it is far from being third world. Just alone compare the standard of living in Jamaica and the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico. You will clearly see that Puerto Rico is not third world.
Quote:
Living in Puerto Rico is almost like living in the United States economically. No matter what your income.

The poor and unemployed are eligible for all the perks like Federal and state funded public housing for the poor, unemployment benefits, welfare, Medicare/Medicaid.

The middle class and wealthy enjoys the lifestyle as on the mainland, however living cost are higher due to the fact the place is an island.

Third world?

Credit to http://www.metrolic.com/ and Marriot.

Not to mention...

Credit to abnelphoto.com@Flickr

Flickr: abnelphoto.com's Photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/abnelgonzalez/ - broken link)

Haha.

Last edited by AMERICANGUY231123; 03-28-2011 at 10:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.