Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puerto Rico the 51st state?
Yes 78 46.71%
No 89 53.29%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,629,280 times

Advertisements

Dude for every pretty picture you post, I've got 10 crummy ones, you really want to play this game?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 12:39 PM

994 posts, read 1,820,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Dude for every pretty picture you post, I've got 10 crummy ones, you really want to play this game?

What's you point? For every beautiful picture of Chicago's northside I can also show parts of Chicago's southside that look third world. That doesn't mean that the city is a third world place.

Puerto Rico definitely has it's poor parts and slummy areas, but it is not how the majority of the island is. The standard of living is very good in Puerto Rico when compared to other many other countries in the Western Hemisphere.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:13 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,629,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikid View Post
What's you point? For every beautiful picture of Chicago's northside I can also show parts of Chicago's southside that look third world. That doesn't mean that the city is a third world place.

Puerto Rico definitely has it's poor parts and slummy areas, but it is not how the majority of the island is. The standard of living is very good in Puerto Rico when compared to other many other countries in the Western Hemisphere.
So you're saying PR competes with Chicago in terms of economic importance? Thanks

Old 03-29-2011, 01:15 PM

785 posts, read 1,871,741 times
Quote:

Even if there are 10 pictures of Puerto Rican poverty for every one of prosperity, that has no bearing on the amount of poverty versus prosperity. If I could show you a million images of children versus only 10 of adults, would that be evidence that children were more prevalent?

Quote:
So you're saying PR competes with Chicago in terms of economic importance? Thanks
He was simply showing you how you can spin things to your own ends.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,527,342 times
I've been to Puerto Rico numerous times for work (biotech), and not just San Juan, but inland as well. I like the Puerto Rican people and culture.

HOWEVER, in the past I've always felt "the Puerto Rican people can decide for themselves". But I'm beginning to wonder what benefits does Puerto Rico bring to the US with the current Commonwealth status? As mentioned above, the residents are already getting federal government benefits. Do they pay federal taxes? (It's not a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know the answer.)

At this point, if they don't want to be a state, shouldn't the US let them go forcibly? Educate me and help me understand the benefits that Puerto Rico brings to the US. At this point it's hard to tell if the benefits outweigh the costs.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:14 PM

44 posts, read 220,990 times
I won't get into political discussions as I'm not neither american nor Puerto Rican. But I'll always be grateful to Puerto Rico for having produced one of the best humans that any country has ever produced: the man that changed the life and the way to feel the life of many people in Latin America, the king, the voice, the singer of singers: Hector Lavoe.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:17 PM

785 posts, read 1,871,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
I've been to Puerto Rico numerous times for work (biotech), and not just San Juan, but inland as well. I like the Puerto Rican people and culture.

HOWEVER, in the past I've always felt "the Puerto Rican people can decide for themselves". But I'm beginning to wonder what benefits does Puerto Rico bring to the US with the current Commonwealth status? As mentioned above, the residents are already getting federal government benefits. Do they pay federal taxes? (It's not a rhetorical question, I honestly don't know the answer.)

At this point, if they don't want to be a state, shouldn't the US let them go forcibly? Educate me and help me understand the benefits that Puerto Rico brings to the US. At this point it's hard to tell if the benefits outweigh the costs.
How can you let some one go forcibly?

Old 03-29-2011, 02:31 PM

994 posts, read 1,820,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post

In the past I know they did not pay taxes, but I think they do pay taxes now, but I am not sure if it goes to the federal goverment. That's why I think Puerto Rico just needs to become a state, because as I said ealier the U.S. does not need Puerto Rico as a commonwealth. Puerto Rico needs the U.S. I am sure the U.S. can easily just cut the cord with Puerto Rico if it really wanted to, without letting the Puerto Ricnas decide. I mean Puerto Rico pretty much is like a state already, except that they predominantaly speak Spanish there.

This is the way I see it. Puerto Rico is kind of like the unemployed adult son or daughter who has moved back home to save money, have a roof over their head, etc., while the U.S. are like the parents. I am sure the parents would let their adult children live in the house, but once they become more of a burden the parents have the power and authority to kick them out. I think it's been too long fiddling with the commonwealth status. I think Puerto Rico needs to become a state and go ahead and include the Virgin Islands too, making it a new state.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:00 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,527,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
How can you let some one go forcibly?
The U.S. can say "Puerto Rico, you're now on your own as an independent country." Much like the post above refers to parents kicking out an adult child out of the nest. Time to support yourself if you don't want to become a state.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:25 PM

34 posts, read 187,055 times
Quote:
Funny, you post pictures inside the last remaining shantytown in Puerto Rico. A slum planned for urban renewal (Which also includes tearing down public housing in the area).

Credit to Planetizen/Davsot

San Juan to Ban Cars, Make "Walkable City" | Planetizen

La Perla by no means describes the living situation in Puerto Rico or even San Juan, only for an unfortunate few.

The standard of living in Puerto Rico is comparable to the United States, specifically Hawaii.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.