Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 01:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times

Advertisements

Nearly everybody in South Texas can speak English, and actually prefer to speak English with other English speakers, because they want to get better at it. However, if there is something really important for them to understand correctly, like government bureaucracy or service contracts, they appreciate the simple courtesy of someone explaining it to them in Spanish.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-30-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 01:38 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
I am really enjoying all of your responses. It makes me realize how stereotyped many of us feel, just for different things.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM

67 posts, read 166,876 times
I wish people knew that Tennesseans aren't all uneducated, mountain people that smoke meth. I LOVE having all my teeth and I don't own a gun.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
That life goes on in spite of the snow in the winter, as we know how to take care of it in a timely manner. It's not just dependant on manufacturing and is the heart of a region with one of the highest rates of college students. It is also close to a high percentage of fresh water in the world. There was population growth for the metro this decade.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
People tend to magnify Camden, Trenton, and Newark as if these cities make up a large chunk of NJ's population (about 2%), when NJ is actually one of, if not, the most affluent state.

People know Camden has been America's most dangerous city before.
But people DON'T know Brick NJ has been America's safest city.
(Both Camden and Brick are about the same size in population)

NJ is #1 in the production of pharmaceuticals.
NJ has more diners than anywhere else in the world.
The tallest and fastest roller coaster in the world is in NJ.
NJ has the lowest rate of rape
NJ has the lowest suicide rate
NJ is one of the most educated states (on CD, most people know that- But irl, people generally look at NJ as a land full of morons)
NJ has the most extensive statewide PT system in the nation
NJ is one of the most diverse state

etc etc..

It's a very well established state, hence the high taxes.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:59 PM

2,330 posts, read 3,808,212 times
Minneapolis is not a city of church ladies and boyscouts. It is actually a cool and sophisticated place. A lot of people on the coasts have trouble believing that, they think that the whole midwest is like rural Ohio.

Last edited by Drewcifer; 03-30-2011 at 10:08 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 02:40 AM

8 posts, read 16,393 times
I wish people realized New Mexico was, in fact, one of the 50 United States.

Also, as a US State, we DO speak English, and we do NOT use pesos!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:30 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Would you care to elaborate?
WV is thought of as a hick state, with junky trailer trash homes and uneducated people. This can be very true in "some parts" of the state, but the other 90% of West Virginian lives like average Americans, in average homes, nice neighborhoods, and send their children to great learning institutions.

Take where I'm from for example. Clendenin is a small town located about 20 miles north of Charleston. There is a "country" vibe to the culture of the town, but most of the people live middle class lives with jobs in Charleston.

West Virginia is not the hillbilly trash hole that MTV makes it out to be. In fact, WV is a very high tech, beautiful, and progressive state that is filled with the best resorts, ski areas, caves, rivers, trails, small towns, people, that you can find anywhere!

Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
WV is thought of as a hick state, with junky trailer trash homes and uneducated people. This can be very true in "some parts" of the state, but the other 90% of West Virginian lives like average Americans, in average homes, nice neighborhoods, and send their children to great learning institutions.

Take where I'm from for example. Clendenin is a small town located about 20 miles north of Charleston. There is a "country" vibe to the culture of the town, but most of the people live middle class lives with jobs in Charleston.

West Virginia is not the hillbilly trash hole that MTV makes it out to be. In fact, WV is a very high tech, beautiful, and progressive state that is filled with the best resorts, ski areas, caves, rivers, trails, small towns, people, that you can find anywhere!
I didn't want to jump the gun and offend you. I wanted you to say how you feel it's perceived yourself.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:01 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Something that belies the stereotypes that your area endures?

I live in SE Michigan. I wish that people knew that SE Michigan, much less all of Michigan, ISN'T Detroit. There are many, many desirable, safe, nonurban areas here. I live in a small town just under an hour from downtown Detroit and we live in a new subdivision surrounded by cornfields. No factories, no ghettos, and very little crime. People here have jobs, and some of them are very good, high paying jobs. There is not a mass exodus of people from our area, in fact, our little town has grown by 12% since the last census.

Anyone else?
I never thought of Michigan as "Detroit", if it makes you feel better. I think of Michigan as another place, like north Jersey, where a lot of Dutch people settled and they have tulip festivals.

As far as what I wished people knew about NJ--pretty much everything that they don't know about our state and what they think of it, thanks to that retarded TV show.

But mostly I would like people to get it through their heads that NOBODY in New Jersey says "Joisey".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.