Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 07:55 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Not amongst the Black population, which is what we are talking about here.
that guy wasn't talking about "amongst black ppl" so credit accepted and argument validated.

Quote:
Just sweep Philly, Chicago, Detroit, DC, etc. all under the rug and act as though they don't exist.
NY is a monster within the region. it is what it is. most ppl, especially black ppl, on the east coast think of NY period when they think of the north. we're not even talking about the NE yet.

by far you meet more NY transplants in the south than any transplants from chicago, detroit, or philly which contributes to this.

oh and DC is a part of the south. not that you meet a whole lot of ppl from DC outside of the DMV area.

Quote:
It's the world against NYC and NYC wins baby![/sarcasm]
such is elife on CD.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
thats complete bull.

everything i post on the south is either fact or opinion based on personal experiences. none of this i gotta google or ask somebody else what they thought because i've been there, lived there, have family there, etc. etc.

if a lot of you stop acting like exaggerated stereotypes maybe so many of us wouldn't have "exaggerated views" about you guys.
there's no reason to catch feelings and be spiteful.
It's bull to us considering we live in the south and see things completely different from what you list. Stating we're ignorant, complacent, pushovers and more. Yet you expect us not to be offended??

You're disrespecting millions of hardworking people in the south who exhibit a completely different behavior than what you listed.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 PM
eek

of course you're going to see things differently, being that you're from the south. there are things that you see that i don't and things that we see that you don't.

that is why this thread exists.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,750,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Delilha's is the only one I know of, and to a lesser extent OCB, but those are chains, so we don't really have that many soul-food places unless you consider every fried chicken place as a soul-food spot. Jamaican food and chinese food are alot more common than slave-scraps for black ppl up north.

Chicago, while up north, is midwestern, very different from the east coast. I'll leave it at that.
Where do you live? Let me rephrase that. Where do you live up North, that you're trying to tell me only has two Soul Food resturants?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
of course you're going to see things differently, being that you're from the south. there are things that you see that i don't and things that we see that you don't.

that is why this thread exists.
And I'm telling you that your perception of the south is skewed and you lack understanding of how things work here.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
what i mean is that you have a lot of black ppl down south content with their 20 something thousand dollar jobs that think making 30 something is making money when its not. a bunch of barely getting by but content with it ppl.

thats not a slower pace of lifestyle thats called complacency. we gotta move on from that and reach for a better life.
Once again, you're missing something pretty big here: cost of living. In the small towns in the South, a $38K/year job can go a long way. And when you look at where Black entrepreneurship is highest, it's in the South--Atlanta in particular (metro DC comes in 2nd).

Furthermore, don't act like every Black person in the North--I mean NYC--is living it up. While neither situation is ideal for me, I'd rather be living in a trailer park in the South than a crime-infested section 8 project apartment in NYC.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Not amongst the Black population, which is what we are talking about here.

But I give you credit: it's a nice way to try and validate your argument. Just sweep Philly, Chicago, Detroit, DC, etc. all under the rug and act as though they don't exist.

It's the world against NYC and NYC wins baby![/sarcasm]
The mid-western cities are in a different category, DC blacks are for the most part southern or borderline southern. NYC is a ball of money greater than you can fathom, and C.R.E.A.M., get the money dolla dolla billz y'all, so it does pretty much run $hit.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Are ya'll serious? All those Soul Food spots up North and nobody goes to them????? Wasn't the movie Soul Food based in Chicago? LMAO!! And for the record, nobody is saying blacks down south eat Soul Food everyday. That's crazy too.
To be honest.Southerners don't eat Soul Food. They eat Southern food..

Old 04-06-2011, 08:08 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Quote:
that guy wasn't talking about "amongst black ppl" so credit accepted and argument validated.
What guy? Can you not read the title of this thread?

Quote:
NY is a monster within the region. it is what it is. most ppl, especially black ppl, on the east coast think of NY period when they think of the north. we're not even talking about the NE yet.

by far you meet more NY transplants in the south than any transplants from chicago, detroit, or philly which contributes to this.
I'm not sure who "you" are, but here in Atlanta, most of the Northern transplants that I've personally encountered have been from Detroit by far. I was just telling two guys originally from Detroit how it's a whole bunch of them down here. When I lived in Charlotte, most of the Northern transplants I came across were from Buffalo and Pittsburgh actually, especially Buffalo.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:09 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
And I'm telling you that your perception of the south is skewed and you lack understanding of how things work here.
i was a part of the system down there. i understand pretty well and wanted no part of it. everything was real cliquish, you had to participate in the gossip or you weren't a team player, ppl didn't like you, ppl thought you were stuck up, etc. etc.

all because you don't want to talk about somebody else or share all of your business with them.

its odd to me. whatever happened to just going to work to do a good job and to make money without all of the side stuff?

Quote:
Once again, you're missing something pretty big here: cost of living. In the small towns in the South, a $38K/year job can go a long way. And when you look at where Black entrepreneurship is highest, it's in the South--Atlanta in particular (metro DC comes in 2nd).
more black ownership and black entrepreneurs are something that is definitely needed in NY, i agree with you there.

i just see a lot of poor black ppl that don't want to move up in life there (and you have that there to, to be honest).

or not quite middle class black ppl that are content. never be content and always look for that next thing, IMO. hell, at least wait until your 40's or something before you get content.

Quote:
Furthermore, don't act like every Black person in the North--I mean NYC--is living it up. While neither situation is ideal for me, I'd rather be living in a trailer park in the South than a crime-infested section 8 project apartment in NYC.
as far as crime, the crime rate in the north is lower than in the south. nyc included. you're more likely to get robbed in that trailer than you are a section 8 apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.