Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 01:16 AM

177 posts, read 405,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA7cities View Post
From my observation there are different types of dread heads.

A) Your Rasta type (Mainly seen in Miami/florida)
B) Island/Carribbean type
C) Fashionable dreads (kept very neat/the pretty boy type dreads)
D) Dope boy type (most popular type today)

I feel the dope boy type dreads started in the south and is most popular today from DC on down to Florida. The fashionable type dreads are the second most popular type youll see when traveling through different areas.
You'll see the 'Rasta type" in FL & NY. These are called locs. People from the Carribean would rather ya say that than dreadlocs.

The Island type is still considered locs.

Ya got that one right.

Those are called wick dreads. You'll always see these kind in the South.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:25 AM

418 posts, read 809,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
Your average black Philadelphian sounds more like freeway, black thought, young Chris or cassidy than meek mill. And no one in Philly dresses like how you said. People down in Baltimore still rock long white t's and baggy clothes with foams lmao
u know damn well they wear capris in philly year-round... i was there less than a month ago, and saw it myself. however, you'd be hard pressed to find somebody in baltimore wearing baggy jeans and long white t's...r u stealing DC's jokes now??

Old 05-02-2011, 01:40 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
What I was saying is that Kenzo character in the film is unfortunatley all too realistic. Alot of guys from New York and I mean alot are really extremely arrogant acting and condescending towards southerners. I mean you see that all the time in real life not just youtube videos.
Of course I disagree with this. I'm not going to lie, I'm very confident but I feel as if I have to be (but I don't notice it). Why should I walk around with my head low or feel as if I'm not just as important as anyone else? I don't discriminate towards anyone regardless of where they're from. I just don't prefer anything that's not my city, whether it's L.A, Chicago, ATL, etc (and It's fine if you feel the same about NY, I honestly respect that). Sometimes I feel like you guys are thinking anything we post, it's coming from a "we're better than you" type of place when we're JUST replying. I also think our "arrogance" and/or cockiness is emphasized by alot of transplants who move to Manhattan and act like snobs etc.

NYers (as a whole) - yeah we are aggressive, very blunt and can't (won't) hide our emotions. We're not conventional but I don't think we're obnoxious/loud (maybe the ones in the ghetto are, but we aren't ALL from the ghetto). I could be in denial but I doubt it.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:00 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciDiva View Post
Yes our diets are totally different. For example for breakfast we usually eat grits, eggs, gravy, biscuits, sausage, smothered pork chops with apple juice. For dinner we want hog maws, collards, blueberry cornbread, & rice with ice tea with pet milk. We also eat subs(what yall call hoagies), baked pretzels with honey mustard, and cheesesteaks. But, we prefer the Chicago style.
You can find people here that eats all of that up here. You might find some that eat all of that for breakfast, but it will depend on age, where they were born and to what degree.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You can find people here that eats all of that up here. You might find some that eat all of that for breakfast, but it will depend on age, where they were born and to what degree.
I've been following through these posts and I haven't saw where ya said ya from.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciDiva View Post
I've been following through these posts and I haven't saw where ya said ya from.
Syracuse, but it's in my heading too. My mother, who is from SC, would sometimes have me go and get neckbones, hog maws, chicken gizzards and she used to clean chitterlings and get pickled pigs feet. I wasn't into any of it though. I do eat some swine(sausage and bacon) once in a while, but it's at a minimum. I'll kill some turkey bacon though.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:39 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,157,846 times
Some of you cats are ignorant. All black people eat soul food homey. From Brooklyn to Omaha, it's in our culture. As for the Philly/Bmore connection, its there. In Philly, they listen to the Bmore club BS all day and night. Big greasy dudes with beards and capris on the dance floor perculating. LOL Off brand city!

Old 05-02-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Syracuse, but it's in my heading too. My mother, who is from SC, would sometimes have me go and get neckbones, hog maws, chicken gizzards and she used to clean chitterlings and get pickled pigs feet. I wasn't into any of it though. I do eat some swine(sausage and bacon) once in a while, but it's at a minimum. I'll kill some turkey bacon though.
Thats whats up. What I actually trying to say is we eat that on a regular basis compared to Northern blacks who eat it every few months. I love turkey bacon as well

Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,449,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Some of you cats are ignorant. All black people eat soul food homey. From Brooklyn to Omaha, it's in our culture. As for the Philly/Bmore connection, its there. In Philly, they listen to the Bmore club BS all day and night. Big greasy dudes with beards and capris on the dance floor perculating. LOL Off brand city!
I can surely tell you that's not true.
I'm not eating anyones foot, or guts. I do like honey ham though, but that's it for pork.
I also don't eat grits & don't like collard greens, I prefer spinach.

The closest to soul food I've ever had is Mac & Cheese and Chicken.
My mom is mixed so she didn't really make traditional black/southern dishes.

And maybe because I can trace where my family is from and sadly my great, great grandmother and father settled in Jersey from Europe ( ) in the late 1800's. But THEN moved to New York

Old 05-02-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Dudes in capris??? Perculating??? Havent did that dance since elementary school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.