U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:13 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,334,714 times

Advertisements

Lord knows there are plenty of South threads, and plenty of Black threads, but I wonder how these groups of people view their counterparts in different regions? Is there as much of the North/South thing going on here? Or do most Blacks tend to identify well with each other as far as region goes?

Old 04-01-2011, 06:23 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,395,026 times
I'm speaking from an outsiders perspective, but in many ways northern blacks and southern blacks are more similiar to their regional white counterparts than to each other. Northern blacks tend to be more abrasive, blunt, and have a face paced approach towards things while I found Southern blacks to be more polite, religious, and I often found them to be more ignorant in many cases by my standards(just like I find many Southern whites to be so).

Old 04-01-2011, 07:23 PM

116 posts, read 278,365 times
I mainly disagree with the above post. I kinda agree about the pace thing, however not all N Easteners have a hurry up lifestyle. Pace has a lot do with what city/region a person was raised in.

Abrasive, blunt, religious, polite are words that can describe African American culture in the North or South.

I know this can come off as stereotypical, but in general:

We have similar history (most of us originated from the South)
We have different speech patterns, but dialect is very similar(especially slang). This is something I love about our culture!
We listen to a lot of the same music (R & B, Soul, Hip Hop, Gospel)
Eat similar foods
We have similar taste in fashion (I know someone from up North may try to fry me for that, but o well).

So, yes to me Northern and Southern blacks have more in common than Northern and Southern whites. Also, I feel that in AA culture we are more accepting/tolerant of other races and cultures which is why we dont have these Northern vs Southern debates as much as I see on the internet.

Oh yeah, we are similar to black people in the Mid/South/Upper West and West coast also .

Old 04-01-2011, 07:41 PM

2,706 posts, read 3,334,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenfiveseven View Post
I mainly disagree with the above post. I kinda agree about the pace thing, however not all N Easteners have a hurry up lifestyle. Pace has a lot do with what city/region a person was raised in.

Abrasive, blunt, religious, polite are words that can describe African American culture in the North or South.

I know this can come off as stereotypical, but in general:

We have similar history (most of us originated from the South)
We have different speech patterns, but dialect is very similar(especially slang). This is something I love about our culture!
We listen to a lot of the same music (R & B, Soul, Hip Hop, Gospel)
Eat similar foods
We have similar taste in fashion (I know someone from up North may try to fry me for that, but o well).

So, yes to me Northern and Southern blacks have more in common than Northern and Southern whites. Also, I feel that in AA culture we are more accepting/tolerant of other races and cultures which is why we dont have these Northern vs Southern debates as much as I see on the internet.

Oh yeah, we are similar to black people in the Mid/South/Upper West and West coast also .
One thing that the previous poster said struck me though. I realized that as a Georgian, I have much more in common with southern Blacks than I do northern Whites. Like you said, we eat the same foods, have similar dialect, music preferences may be somewhat different(I'm kind of a Dead Head), but the gospel, soul thing still applies. This is where my original question comes from. I identify far more with southern blacks than I do northern whites. I was wondering if it was reciprocal.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:56 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
I can see where everyone is coming from to some degree. As a person with Southern parents, if I were to move Down South, I would be able to make an easy transition due to my upbringing. I think there is more commonality between Black and White Southerners versus Black and White Northerners due to White Northerners having roots in various parts of Europe and that the roots are relatively recent too. You also have to look at the urban, suburban and rural aspects as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
From my perspective, black people in the South are more approachable than black people in the North.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:54 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,534,754 times
Default Hard to generalize with either

IMO nobody can generalize what northern blacks are like vs southern blacks anymore than one can generalize the same with northern and southern whites. All one can say is that blacks in the north are trying to cope with life as they perceive it where they live and blacks in the south are doing same in their neck of the woods. They both are black in a nation that fails to make racial discrimination against blacks the "issue of our time."

Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,651,818 times
*actually, i'm going to sit this one out for a few and read more responses before i chime in because i know that my post will be controversial...

Last edited by eek; 04-02-2011 at 08:53 AM..

Old 04-02-2011, 09:55 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,581,051 times
"Controversial" posts are usually considered such because of generalizations and misinformation. This thread is pretty much destined to get nasty. Southern blacks will be accused of being slow, uneducated, overweight, lazy, bad dressers; Western blacks will be called white-washed and corny; and northern blacks will be called unattractive, salty, and arrogant. Pages after that, it will turn into a comparison of hip-hop scenes, complete with profanity laced YouTube videos. I look forward to it.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:56 AM

65 posts, read 126,092 times
Northern blacks can be quite cocky.
Northern blacks believe they are years ahead of their southern counterparts.

Blacks in the north and blacks in the south DO NOT dress the same by far.

Black people in the north are loud and obnoxious whereas their counterparts in the south are more calm and laid back, so to speak.

I don't consider myself to be northern or southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or