U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2011, 06:22 PM

73 posts, read 100,493 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I've made a few postings on here and have gotten very helpful replies. I know there have been some threads about these two cities, but nothing recent, and a lot were family oriented.

Basically I have two job prospects, one in Raleigh and one in Austin. I'm a born and raised New Yorker but am itching for a change. I'm 26, single, very active, friendly, play guitar, love checking out local coffee shops, bars and restaurants. I'll be looking to rent a room downtown in either city for a few months until I get more comfortable, and then I can start looking for my own place.

Just looking for advice on both downtown areas. Which offers better outdoor activities, restaurants, singles scene. Any by singles scene I don't mean "hook-ups" there is plenty of that going on in NYC and I'm quite over it. I'll be bringing a car and don't mind driving to work, but would prefer a location where I can walk to grocery stores, the gym, bars after work and on the weekends.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 06:44 AM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
For someone perhaps transitioning out of "party-ville" into young adulthood I would suggest Raleigh. It offers every bit of the criteria you're looking for on a smaller, less pervasive scale than Austin's. Check out the Cameron Park/Cameron Village neighborhood north of Hillsborough Street and west of Glenwood Avenue.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:25 AM

11,145 posts, read 14,119,247 times
I'm 26 years old and live in CT. I lived in NYC from ages 22-23, so I can speak from experience.

According to the 2000 Census, the percentage of nonfamily households in Raleigh is 45.5% and for Austin, 46.7%. The national average is 31.9%. This means that both cities are not family oriented at all. Maybe the suburbs are, but the actual cities aren't. This is one of my favorite statistics. It is very telling of the types of households and people that live in the place.

Another statistic I like is age group. For age group 25-34, this comprised 21.1% of the population of Austin. For Raleigh it is 20.7%. The national average is 14.2% for this statistic.

Therefore, both cities are extremely similar with regard to nonfamily households and people aged 25-34. You'd probably fit in with either city just fine. And both cities are rather liberal enclaves in the South. I know that Austin, however, is huge into the live music thing. Since you are a guitarist, that might be better for you. And the activity of hooking up goes on almost everywhere. Just beacuse it's rampant in NYC doesn't mean that it's nonexistent in the South. It still happens, just to a lesser extent, because the South is far more religious and many don't believe in pre-marital sex. But you said you wanted to get away from that, so I'm sure it's reduced in the South, if anything.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm 26 years old and live in CT. I lived in NYC from ages 22-23, so I can speak from experience.

According to the 2000 Census, the percentage of nonfamily households in Raleigh is 45.5% and for Austin, 46.7%. The national average is 31.9%. This means that both cities are not family oriented at all. Maybe the suburbs are, but the actual cities aren't. This is one of my favorite statistics. It is very telling of the types of households and people that live in the place.

Another statistic I like is age group. For age group 25-34, this comprised 21.1% of the population of Austin. For Raleigh it is 20.7%. The national average is 14.2% for this statistic.

Therefore, both cities are extremely similar with regard to nonfamily households and people aged 25-34. You'd probably fit in with either city just fine. And both cities are rather liberal enclaves in the South. I know that Austin, however, is huge into the live music thing. Since you are a guitarist, that might be better for you. And the activity of hooking up goes on almost everywhere. Just beacuse it's rampant in NYC doesn't mean that it's nonexistent in the South. It still happens, just to a lesser extent, because the South is far more religious and many don't believe in pre-marital sex. But you said you wanted to get away from that, so I'm sure it's reduced in the South, if anything.
You're not going to have to worry about this in Austin.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:39 AM

297 posts, read 503,121 times
I recently moved from Austin to Raleigh. I'm in my mid 40s and married so Raleigh is just right for me now, but if I was 20 years younger and single I would be pretty bored here - at least compared to Austin. Statistics may not back me up, but my experience has been that when I'm out and about in Raleigh I'm one of the younger people around, or at least average; in Austin I was a geezer.

I haven't really spent time in downtown Raleigh, I've heard that there is one. I wouldn't say that there is no nightlife around here, but from what I see and hear it is at least an order of magnitude below Austin.

As for outdoor activities, both places are good but different. Austin has Town Lake with hike and bike trail around it. Raleigh has an extensive greenbelt system throughout the city. The Town Lake trail gets very crowded - on weekends it can be like Times Square, seriously. The greenbelt here in Raleigh is much more manageable - it can actually make for a tranquil walk/run/ride.

Austin is much more crowded in general which, if you are 26 and very socially active can be a good thing, but it was one of the main reasons I wanted to move. In Raleigh you would meet many other New Yorkers - it seems as if 1/2 the people I meet are from the Northeast. Austin does have alot of transplants, but it is still full of Texans - the less I say about that the better

Last edited by slim2none; 04-04-2011 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 11:49 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,654,059 times
IMO you shouldn't make a move that drastic at that age but do you...

i will never understand why young ppl choose to move from a large city to a really small city while they're still young unless the salary is really, really large. or unless somebody in the family passed away.

there's a greater chance than not that they end up bored, miserable and stuck.

BUT

the OP has his/her head on their shoulders. several things that were on my to do list checked off. you already have two job prospects and you plan to rent in either location for a few months to get a feel for the area. great job. i'd take austin over raleigh.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 PM

749 posts, read 1,903,416 times
This might be stating the obvious, but a move to Raleigh might be less "daunting" in that you would have easier access to family and friends in New York/easier to travel back home. That is of course if that's a consideration for you.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,982,727 times
Raleigh is still Mayberry, go to Austin.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:59 AM

3,593 posts, read 5,842,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
IMO you shouldn't make a move that drastic at that age but do you...

i will never understand why young ppl choose to move from a large city to a really small city while they're still young unless the salary is really, really large. or unless somebody in the family passed away.

there's a greater chance than not that they end up bored, miserable and stuck.

BUT

the OP has his/her head on their shoulders. several things that were on my to do list checked off. you already have two job prospects and you plan to rent in either location for a few months to get a feel for the area. great job. i'd take austin over raleigh.
Unless the lifestyle is preferable in the smaller city to that individual, then I agree with you. I spent the first part of my life in Orlando then moved to Spartanburg, SC and had a really hard time adjusting to the smaller, slower life. It gave me some perspective as to why people from New York complain all the time when they move lol. Now in the OP's case it seems they truly desire what Austin & Raleigh have to offer that NYC doesn't. Therefore I could understand the move to a smaller city from a larger one if ultimately, you'll be happier. Just don't move to a small town if you're from any sized city, the shock was way to great for me and I'm only used to a mid-sized city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or