Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM

93,175 posts, read 123,783,345 times

Advertisements

It is interesting about the Black child decrease, but many that are in the two race category, still identify as Black to some degree. I think the lack of Black, non-Hispanic immigration and a lower Black birth rate in comparison to those other groups have something to do with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 AM

515 posts, read 368,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is interesting about the Black child decrease, but many that are in the two race category, still identify as Black to some degree. I think the lack of Black, non-Hispanic immigration and a lower Black birth rate in comparison to those other groups have something to do with that.
I think the decline in black child is just temporary.In 2000s the immigration from Africa,Haiti and Jamaica boomed, so if this growth continues the black child population will boom too.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:59 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I've noticed that NJ always tends to get lost under a sea of bubbles in any given map haha.

But as for "culturally white," I think he just means when a group is considered white by popular perception. While Mexicans aren't considered white today, maybe they will be someday. Who knows.
I'm still not certain what "culturally white" means.

Here's a list of a few prominent Mexican Americans. Are they culturally white?

Bill Richardson - Gov of New Mexico
Eva Longorio - actress
Edward James Olmos - actor
Ted Williams - athlete
Joan Baez - singer
Ricardo Sanchez - Army General
Alberto Gonzalez - US Atty General

Old 04-07-2011, 12:00 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
we should continue to thank our lucky stars that we have a positive birthrate. European countries and japan would kill for that.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:29 PM

515 posts, read 368,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
we should continue to thank our lucky stars that we have a positive birthrate. European countries and japan would kill for that.
Yep their economic growth will be weak or negative (japan) in the future, but for the US no problemo, we're so gifted

Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
Yep their economic growth will be weak or negative (japan) in the future, but for the US no problemo, we're so gifted
If these kids are successful in the future then yes if not, then I'd rather have a lower birth rate.

Old 04-07-2011, 04:21 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
First of all, what dies it mean to be culturally White Anerican? Listening to country music?

Secondly, some fraction of Hispanics are culturally and visually indistinguishable from non-Hispanic whites.
No.

It's convoluted for sure, but to be considered "culturally white american" you must fall into one of the following groups:

-Descended from the original European colonialists. *Extremely rare outside the Eastern (both North and South) United States

-Descended from the mass immigrations the United States from Europe in the 19th and early 20th century

-Be at least second generation or higher descendant of Hispanic White immigrants from Mexico, Central America, South America or the Caribbean with an exception to those of mestizo origin (more on this in a second). People that fall into that category would typically be seen as being "culturally White American" after a generation or two intermarriage with one of the first two groups

Now as you might have noticed I have used the moniker "culturally White American" as opposed to "ethnically White American". The reason is that in United States, race takes on both a physical and cultural persona regardless of anyone's ethnic make up. As sad and as f'ed as it may sound this is due to how handled "race" since the founding of the country (and before) and the way it was handled after the Civl War: Where on the totem pole do people who are either half white/half black or half white/half native american fall on the social pecking order scale of society and how much will these people be included or excluded from certain roles and rights in society.

Back in those times, many European Americans saw the other "races" as being not completely human. Even those who were enlightened enough to know that chaining people up and using them as slave labor or the ethnic cleansing that took place in the homelands of Native Americans was a bad thing still often believed in this train of thought. Since they had descended from a society in which social order was everything and determined what people could and could not do, they "had to" come up with a way of classifying where these people who blurred the lines between the obvious. This is where the trouble began.

In their system people, it worked basically like this:

1. People who were without a doubt had 100% European ancestry. They could own land, vote, serve in public office, and pretty much live liberty to the fullest. Well, "the right kind of" European ancestry at least (see 2a below).

2. People of half European, half Native American ancestry. In some places they could enjoy all the rights someone of full European ancestry could enjoy, in some places they had no rights. In many cases, no distinction was made if they physically appeared White and "passed" for such in public (more on this in a second).

2a. Poor whites who were 100% European. Even though society considered them White, position in early American society was determined by your ability to own land and/or slaves. Since poor whites could do neither, they were disenfranchised in the same manner those of mixed European and Native American ancestry were. Recent immigrants to America post Revolution most usually fell into this category, others fell into another mysterious category (see 3a below).

3. People of half European, half African ancestry. In most places they were never afforded most of the rights or position in society that groups 2 enjoyed. While there were pockets of the country where they could live a peacefully and productive life (mostly New England and in French territories), there would never be seen as being "more White" than they were "black" in the same manner group 2 could be.

3a. This may come as a surprise but people who were of Southern European or most parts of Eastern European descent fell into the group 3 sphere of rights and liberty. Most of this was due to cultural friction between Western Europe and other parts of Europe at the time. In some cases, people from Southern or Eastern European weren't even considered "White" in American society due to the darker skin tones of some peoples in that region. The only way out of this in early America was to change your name, dress, and customs to something either Anglo, Germanic or Franco. (F'ed up, ain't it?)

{gap)

4. White women.

{very big gap}

5. Everyone else.

Now of course, none of this makes sense and is extremely subjective, but this is how society operated for a long time and there was little way to escape it until the Civil Rights movements of the mid-19th to mid-20th century. Unless of course, if you "passed".

When the genetic material of different ethnicities is mixed, you will never get exact results. In one family of mixed ethnicities you can have 1 child that looks like an "equal mix" of both ethnicities and one child that could be indistinguishable from the appearance of one of the parents. Due to this genetic anomaly, many people who fell into the category of looking more like their European ethnicity acted as if they were fully of European descent so that they can get all the rights of those who were truly 100% of European descent.

There were even communities where people of mixed European/African ancestry that formed so that they could only procreate with each in an effort to keep their descendants "looking White", thus being able to avoid being denied educational or employment opportunities.

On the flip side of that, those who were of half European/half Native American ancestry often wore it of a badge of honor. Since there were less societal stigmas against that social union, descendants continued to acknowledge their ancestry even if they had intermarried through the generations with so many people of European descent that there were no longer any physical signs of their Native American ancestry.

Getting back on point, I say all of this because you must know this to understand fully what it means to be a "White American" in our society. For sure, we have came a long way since the horrible days of race based hierarchy and legalized discrimination in this country, but the echoes of this past still remain. So much so it is as not as easy to say that someone who physically may appear "White" would be considered "White" in America.

In one way, it is the culture one accepts for themselves. For instance, a man named Walter White (surname irony) was the founder of the NAACP. He also looked like this:

To clear up any confusion, he was of mixed European and African ancestry and as you can tell he could very easily pass for being 100% white and most would never think to think otherwise if they were not told who he was or what he did with his life. However, despite what must have been a very tempting proposition for anyone living during that time, he chose not to and embraced his African-American roots more so. He attended the Historically black college Atlanta University and as I mentioned before he went on to found and preside over the NAACP. Most people would acknowledge that he is partially white, but would most definitely subconsciously label him as being "more black" than "white"

This is basically what it comes down to with being considered "White" in America. It is balance between how people identify (or not acknowledge their ancestry openly) themselves, and how others are perceived by appearance.

For instance, if it were just as simple as having European ancestry that made you white, then why is it that President Obama by appearance would never be labeled as such yet someone one like this guy would always be assumed to be white even though he has a "white" father and an Asian mother making him "just as white" as President Obama genetically speaking:

All of this is why I made the distinction to be careful to not automatically label those Hispanics of European origin as "White" in American terms. On one hand, of them have a different set of cultural values that differ from those Americans of European descent have thus while they appear "White" and are European, American society in most cases would not label them as such.

On the other hand, they may only physically appear to be "100% White" but are of mixed ethnic ancestry. For Latinos from Mexico, Central and South America that is extremely likely as interracial marriage and procreation did not have the same stigma it had in America for so long. Hell, in some places it was encouraged.

I want to state for the record though that your argument does have merit. Despite all of the cultural factors we deal with in society, there are many people who are Latino that are literally 100% European. Most people in the United States are not aware that in the 1920s the Federal government began to limit immigration from Southern and Eastern Europe to almost zero and it continued this way until reforms were passed in 1965. During that period, Europeans from those regions still wanted to come to the Americas so they shifted elsewhere. Mainly Brazil and Argentina. There was so much immigration from places like Italy to Argentina and Brazil that they have a Italian population on par with the United States.

Finally I do want to say that I hope for a time where all of these dark areas regarding race are no longer with us Americans. More so than pretty much every other country on the planet, we dice and dived ourselves on such trivial matters it is to the point of idiocy. All people should be allowed to honor their ancestors and their cultural heritage, but I hope for the day when Americans stop defining people strictly by which category they fit in by appearance.

Sadly, it will be several generations before this happens in any real and meaningful way.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:21 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Another multi-cultural article with some reverse racism. The white folk' are ignored once again.
I wonder how many times I'm gonna have to say this on this forum...There is no such thing as "reverse racism". Racism is racism. Look up the word in the dictionary.

Anyone can be a perpetrator or racism; anyone can be a victim of racism.

Also, I didn't find this article racist against whites. It's just stating facts in a neutral manner. The article basically stated that the number of Hispanic and Asian children grew while the number of white, black, and Native American children declined. It also said that non-whites will collectively outnumber whites in '42. Where's the racism in that?

I've seen that statistic before, and it always says "non-Hispanic whites", but whites (both Hispanic and non-Hispanic) will still form a solid majority (over 70%) by mid-century. Keep in mind that the word "Hispanic" doesn't automatically mean "non-white". "Hispanic" is an ethnicity; therefore Hispanics can be of any race (i.e. white, black, Asian, etc.). Americans of European descent will still be high in numbers in the future. There isn't a whole lot to worry about here.

Old 04-10-2011, 12:54 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Data Guy View Post
I wonder how many times I'm gonna have to say this on this forum...There is no such thing as "reverse racism". Racism is racism. Look up the word in the dictionary.

Anyone can be a perpetrator or racism; anyone can be a victim of racism.

Also, I didn't find this article racist against whites. It's just stating facts in a neutral manner. The article basically stated that the number of Hispanic and Asian children grew while the number of white, black, and Native American children declined. It also said that non-whites will collectively outnumber whites in '42. Where's the racism in that?

I've seen that statistic before, and it always says "non-Hispanic whites", but whites (both Hispanic and non-Hispanic) will still form a solid majority (over 70%) by mid-century. Keep in mind that the word "Hispanic" doesn't automatically mean "non-white". "Hispanic" is an ethnicity; therefore Hispanics can be of any race (i.e. white, black, Asian, etc.). Americans of European descent will still be high in numbers in the future. There isn't a whole lot to worry about here.
My dad is 100% Italian and I've seen Hispanics or people who told me they were who are paler than he is.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 AM

84 posts, read 157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragneel View Post
Mostly Cubans and Argentinians..These groups live mostly in Florida
Nah, I have some Mexican friends that are very white culturally. It depends on how long their family has been in America i guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.