U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 11:13 AM

515 posts, read 293,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:

America's child population grew more far diverse over the past decade as a decline in the ranks of white children was offset by surging growth of Asians and Hispanics.
All told in 2010, the Census Bureau counted 74.2 million people under age 18, up 1.9 million from 2000.
Census Shows Hispanic, Asian Children Surging - WSJ.com

Very good ! From Wall Street Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 AM

3,798 posts, read 8,165,159 times
Another multi-cultural article with some reverse racism. The white folk' are ignored once again.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:27 PM

964 posts, read 2,045,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Another multi-cultural article with some reverse racism. The white folk' are ignored once again.
I don't know how much I agree with this assessment. This is WSJ - which leans conservative in their editorial stance - have you read their editorial page? If anything, I found the article to be shockingly neutral by their standards.

Look at it this was - if the escalating non-white population in the US is alarming to you, would you rather know about the trend in advance, or wake up and suddenly be surprised by Asian, Latino, and black Americans outnumbering you?

I personally have no problem with the shifting demographics of America. As one of those non-white folks, I have a lifetime of knowing what it means to be a 'minority;' a status that one certainly is aware of, though it also doesn't run my life, and it's not the only thing that determines my identity. I am comfortable in my own skin, and do not find people whose backgrounds are different to be threatening to me in any way at all (and my black-person-life-experiences with 'difference' run a gamut from living in deep Appalachia for 12 years [where I was definitely a minority, and still somehow managed to make a zillion great friends and fall in love with the landscape], to - at the other extreme - dating natives of places like Bangalore and Chengdu); thus if others' have issues with my race or background, it's their problem and not mine.

My white, non-US-black, Asian and Latino friends have added so much depth and perspective to my outlook on the world. And yes, that includes white, along with everyone else. As I dislike black folks who insist on victimology (there are those who do), I find this outlook just as ugly when it comes to white people, or any other people for that matter. Anyone with a really rich sense of personal identity is above that sort of self-destructive defeatism.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
It's not white bashing at all.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 PM

Old 04-06-2011, 03:35 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,282,796 times
A significant fraction of Hispanics are indistinguishable from non-Hispanic whites.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:57 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,161,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
A significant fraction of Hispanics are indistinguishable from non-Hispanic whites.
The same is true of Latinos of African and Asian descent. Not sure what stating that gains though. They aren't culturally White American so what does it matter?

Old 04-06-2011, 04:15 PM

5,522 posts, read 12,282,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
The same is true of Latinos of African and Asian descent. Not sure what stating that gains though. They aren't culturally White American so what does it matter?
First of all, what dies it mean to be culturally White Anerican? Listening to country music?

Secondly, some fraction of Hispanics are culturally and visually indistinguishable from non-Hispanic whites.

Old 04-06-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
First of all, what dies it mean to be culturally White Anerican? Listening to country music?

Secondly, some fraction of Hispanics are culturally and visually indistinguishable from non-Hispanic whites.
Mostly Cubans and Argentinians..These groups live mostly in Florida

Old 04-06-2011, 06:42 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,262,003 times
I've noticed that NJ always tends to get lost under a sea of bubbles in any given map haha.

But as for "culturally white," I think he just means when a group is considered white by popular perception. While Mexicans aren't considered white today, maybe they will be someday. Who knows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.