Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one of these would be the best for going to college?
Cleveland 6 17.65%
Kansas City 6 17.65%
St. Louis 15 44.12%
Detroit 7 20.59%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 10:23 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,231,055 times

Advertisements

Usually, you'd have to establish permant residency in the state for two full years, no longer be tax dependent on your parents, and be employed in that state with proof that you have enough income to support yourself 100%. Basically, they make it impossible to do-- otherwise everybody would try to do it. Unless if you can convince your parents to move back to Detroit, or wherever you want to go, I'd forget it. CTownNative, I can tell you are just 16 years old! You have a lot to learn about how things work...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 10:24 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,626,774 times
So do you actually have to be from the state for it to cost $8,294?If it costs that I would move in state in a apartment.$8,294 is not bad for college anymore.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:27 AM

Im 15 1/2 right now,but I like to plan earlier on things.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:54 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
What vegaspilgrim and I are trying to tell you is that you have to be independent from your parents' support. Just living there isn't going to cut it. If you really want midwest, try to do better in school (I assume you are going to be a sophomore?), and get a scholarship to a private college, which will then cost about the same as in-state tuition.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:43 PM

117 posts, read 505,961 times
From the choices that you listed, I would probably say that St. Louis would be a good bet.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:20 PM

607 posts, read 2,973,616 times
sorry ctownnative my last user bame wasn't working right, it wouldn't except my password. I live in michigan, I used to live in Illinois with my parents but I moved out at sixteen to live with my grandparents for a summer, and decided I wanted to stay in the state. so my parents let me stay with them for the rest of that year and another one where I realized I wanted to go to WSU, after attending Livonia-Churchhill for highschool. so I didn't apply while in Illinois to know the cost from out of state. but it might be 11,000. I'm just guessing or not. I heard a price like that around school for incoming students. for me it is only 8K and room and board. for nice areas and diversity. Midtown is primarily black but with all the new lofts coming in and the business, and it's close location to Corktown, Downtown, and the mexicantown area, WSU cAmpus, Midtown, gets alot of different cultures. a nice resturant I like to eat at in Midtown is a resturant called union st. also you can find alot of nice resturants downtown. some of the best delis in the state are located in downtown Detroit. Downtown's population has more diversity than midtown's. the downtown is a main pop mix of white, black, and mexican. mainly white.
all the business people and all the bands conferences etc. draw in more of a white crowd making it 60% white, 25% black, and about 4% asian, and 11% mexican and arab. Mexicantown is also nice, except spots can be bummy. the resturants are nice but the old Michigan station bums up the area. in mexicantown and southwest is the most diversity in the city. the main pop is white and mexican, but alot of blacks and arabs hang around the area. corktown, neighboring Mexicantown is an Irish area, so there are alot of pubs and so on. I hope this helps and the name Biggio, just off the top of mu head.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:35 PM

So the cost would be around 11,000 for and out of state person,because thats still not that bad of a price if it is that much.

Old 07-30-2007, 04:36 PM

The closest family I have to Detroit is in Cleveland.My parents might let me move out when Im 17 which is in like a year and a half.Im about to get a job so that should help out with the cost.Id probably want to live in Michigan if I was going to college there through.How much does it cost to rent in the burbs?It doesn't have to be the best suburb.And yes the information has been helpful so far.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:33 PM

It can be a nice neighborhood in Detroit too as long as rent is between 400 and 500 $.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 PM

202 posts, read 268,299 times
I went out of state to a crazy-ass expensive private college that, after financial aid/scholarships/need-based grants, cost less than an in-state public university. If you're going out of state anyway, I recommend that route as well.

It looks like you're settled on Detroit, but my personal picks of the locales you listed would have been KC or St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.