Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 03:06 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

All of the major cities and I'm being serious too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 03:20 PM

146 posts, read 225,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
What type of liberal are we talking about?

If it's the stereotypical liberal (left-wing but "live and let live" when it comes to social issues), then I think the stereotypical liberal cities like Seattle, San Fran, etc. would be best.

If it's the left-wing Christian type (like the types I'm around) then anywhere with a large black population would be fine.

Blacks are largely left-wing, so in the end, it will be based on whether you prefer being around Christians or the liberals Fox News hates.
As a Black (and 100% secular) liberal myself, I think Nivalis hit the nail on the head.

Take Atlanta, for instance, which is often held up as the "Black mecca." While it's a great place to visit, you could not pay me enough money to move there. The Blacks there (and across nearly all of the South), while left-of-center Democrats on many things, are wayyyyyyyy too damn overtly religious for my taste. I can't stand overt religiosity. I do have some religious friends, but they're the types who don't make a point of bringing it up regularly in conversation, any more than I start spouting atheist talking points.

I'm moving to New York City soon from the Miami area; both two good fits for me culturally. I would also say Los Angeles, Denver, Boston, San Francisco, Chicago, and Seattle were good liberal cities where I liked the overall cultural environment.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:57 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Now that I think about it, Oakland does have a subset of Black people who wear Crocs and drive Priuses with tons of eco-awareness, anti-fascism bumper stickers and are hella into organic food and speak like Molly Ringwald from 1980s movies.

Dont know if that means they are Liberal, but Im guessing probably.

Im going to go out on a ledge and say that in my years growing up almost exclusively around Black people(and Asians btw), most Blacks I knew then as kids and now as adults are more aligned with Barack Obama's version of Liberalism, which is fiscally Liberal but that translating into being socially Liberal is actually tempered by their very strong religious convictions-something that I adore btw.

I hope that doesnt offend anyone, this is just the experience of a person of another color(Polynesian) who was basically brought up(and cared for and embraced and welcomed) by Black people who to this day are among my closest and dearest friends. Way more than many of my own relatives.

Anyway, I dont think Blacks realize how influtenial they have been on the children of Immigrants who came to the US and couldnt afford to live anywhere but the hood(such as my family) and now as an adult, I am so grateful for having the Black persective in my life. Its part of who I am and affects everything from the music I love, to the food I love, to my politics, to how I relate to the plight of others.

Even though Oakland's demography has changed and is no longer the "black city" it used to be as you can see below:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m...g?t=1302317953

The influence on Blacks on Hispanics, Asians, Middle Eastern, Polynesians and every other immigrant group in Oakland remains quite evident.

Anyway...my 2 and a half cents.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:41 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,636,973 times
Detroit.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:02 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Detroit.
It doesn't have good public transportation though.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:06 AM

5,517 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I hope that doesnt offend anyone, this is just the experience of a person of another color(Polynesian) who was basically brought up(and cared for and embraced and welcomed) by Black people who to this day are among my closest and dearest friends. Way more than many of my own relatives.

Anyway, I dont think Blacks realize how influtenial they have been on the children of Immigrants who came to the US and couldnt afford to live anywhere but the hood(such as my family) and now as an adult, I am so grateful for having the Black persective in my life. Its part of who I am and affects everything from the music I love, to the food I love, to my politics, to how I relate to the plight of others.

What a lovely eye-opener to read. So often we hear and read about the conflict and hostility between different immigrant groups and black people. Its refreshing to hear about the cooperation and love instead. I suspect your experience is probably more common than most people think. And experiences like yours when repeated will do a lot to make this country a way better place.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:40 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,592,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post
Yeah I agree with goat314. Most African Americans are liberal when it's comes to racial issues, since we're often the targets of discrimination, but most are conservative in alot of ways. Most are very religious, don't support alternative ways of living, and think the family is important.
This part kinda pisses me off considering that blacks once where and still are victims of discrimination. So some people want respect and equal treatment but aren't willing to treat others (ex. gays) with that same equal respect. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:43 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,159,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
This part kinda pisses me off considering that blacks once where and still are victims of discrimination. So some people want respect and equal treatment but aren't willing to treat others (ex. gays) with that same equal respect. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Sounds to me like you are holding the black community to a different standard. Accept that some people will accept gays and others will not. Black people do not all think and act the same. Seems to be a concept many find hard to grasp.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:04 PM

68 posts, read 178,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
That post bothered me too. Blacks 30 and under, especially black females are likely to be just as socially liberal as their white counterparts. I've noticed a substantial increase in the black gay population who is out and open as well, as the stigma is fading in the black community. However, the overwhelming social conservatism of blacks who are 50 and over greatly overshadows this.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:23 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,598,964 times
America's 25 Most Liberal Cities:

1 Detroit, Michigan

2 Gary, Indiana

3 Berkeley, California

4 Washington, D.C. Dist. of Columbia

5 Oakland, California

U.S. Cities With the Most Tech Jobs: No. 19 City for Tech Jobs: Oakland - BusinessWeek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.