Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 05:27 PM

159 posts, read 279,885 times

Advertisements

Cross off Detroit and Gary......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 05:57 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
The problem is most people can't distinguish between black liberals and "stuff white people like" liberals.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:21 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
If you want "black, irreligious, and liberal" there might not be that many. I would guess DC as coming closest. Not saying it does, that's just my guess. Granted DC has plenty of fine churches, and I found people there pretty okay with me being Catholic, but it doesn't look too high in Baptists or Pentecostals and has same-sex marriage. I find that often when people talk against a place being "religious" what they mean is "Evangelical or Pentecostal Protestant." A place full of Methodists and Episcopalians who don't really evangelize is not so much their concern. (Although real hardcore atheists might mind even then) DC I think has a good deal of black professionals who might be religious, but probably not as strict or fundamentalist.

http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...entecostal.gif
http://www.valpo.edu/geomet/pics/geo...on/baptist.gif

If you just mean "black and socially liberal", allowing for socially liberal church folk, it might be easier. If you mean "Black and Left-wing" (on economic issues, racial equality, and the death penalty), probably most majority-black cities would work.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:15 AM

95 posts, read 258,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
This part kinda pisses me off considering that blacks once where and still are victims of discrimination. So some people want respect and equal treatment but aren't willing to treat others (ex. gays) with that same equal respect. Just doesn't make sense to me.
Yeah like Norcal dude said, some of all races will and won't accept gays, it's not just blacks. What about ppl like Chuck Norris? And when I said alternative ways of life, I wasn't just referring to homosexuality.

Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
What type of liberal are we talking about?

If it's the stereotypical liberal (left-wing but "live and let live" when it comes to social issues), then I think the stereotypical liberal cities like Seattle, San Fran, etc. would be best.

If it's the left-wing Christian type (like the types I'm around) then anywhere with a large black population would be fine.

Blacks are largely left-wing, so in the end, it will be based on whether you prefer being around Christians or the liberals Fox News hates.
Count me in!

Frankly, I'd think that the best place for Black Liberals would be the same place that's best for any Liberal. That's just my opinion.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:21 PM

141 posts, read 381,867 times
D.C. was the first to come to mind for me. Especially because D.C. and its surrounding area has a very large educated and affluent black population. And of course, the city itself is pretty liberal.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:28 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Sounds to me like you are holding the black community to a different standard. Accept that some people will accept gays and others will not. Black people do not all think and act the same. Seems to be a concept many find hard to grasp.
I hold blacks (victims of discrimination) to a higher standard of accepting others then the typical bible belt, middle aged white person that opposes gay marriage. Blacks know what it feels like to be discriminated against so i'd assume ALL of them would really be accepting of others with differences.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,207,108 times
I highly doubt that many blacks below the age of 40 have experienced any actual discrimination.

Last edited by Nivalis; 04-10-2011 at 09:07 PM..

Old 04-10-2011, 09:46 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
I hold blacks (victims of discrimination) to a higher standard of accepting others then the typical bible belt, middle aged white person that opposes gay marriage. Blacks know what it feels like to be discriminated against so i'd assume ALL of them would really be accepting of others with differences.
It's not really the same though. One is about how you're born and the other is about behavior. Specifically a behavior rejected by most Western religions. (historical Christianity, Orthodox Judaism, Islam, Baha'i, Zoroastrianism)

You may not be aware of this, but many early workers in the Civil Rights movement tried to say that they were not for interracial marriage. In most cases that was because they feared supporting interracial marriage would harm the overall cause, but some likely just didn't think it was a good idea. How you feel about race doesn't necessarily say anything about how you feel about sex.

Still I've heard that generally black churches are a bit more "hate the sin, love the sinner" than white Evangelicals. I know for many gays all that just blurs into "I hate you" but I think that's unfair and I think more perceptive gay people know it's unfair. If someone says "I'll love you anyway, but I hate that you eat meat and favor vegetarianism be officially preferred" it's clearly not the same as "Meat is murder, I hope you get reincarnated as a slaughterhouse animal!"

Old 04-11-2011, 05:45 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeaman0 View Post
The best I could come up with would probably be Oakland. What about Washington D.C? Is D.C. liberal? I know there's alot of blacks there. Both cities have alot of blacks and good public transit. Thoughts?
Better question is where can a black man simply be a man and respected as a man on equal basis with all other men regardless of race? No city comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.