U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:04 AM

95 posts, read 215,774 times

Advertisements

The best I could come up with would probably be Oakland. What about Washington D.C? Is D.C. liberal? I know there's alot of blacks there. Both cities have alot of blacks and good public transit. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 01:41 AM

13,217 posts, read 17,945,732 times
"Black liberals" is up there with "Canadian hockey fans" on the scale of redundancy.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,650,467 times
What type of liberal are we talking about?

If it's the stereotypical liberal (left-wing but "live and let live" when it comes to social issues), then I think the stereotypical liberal cities like Seattle, San Fran, etc. would be best.

If it's the left-wing Christian type (like the types I'm around) then anywhere with a large black population would be fine.

Blacks are largely left-wing, so in the end, it will be based on whether you prefer being around Christians or the liberals Fox News hates.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:13 AM

159 posts, read 216,368 times
D.C. or Atlanta

Old 04-08-2011, 05:26 AM

12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times
It would seem that Washington DC is a favorite .

Other than that smart-ass comment, I really don't know a real answer.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:34 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,651,818 times
ny and dc on the east coast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
"Black liberals" is up there with "Canadian hockey fans" on the scale of redundancy.
well...yeah...but its nice to be surrounded by other liberals.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:47 AM

1,090 posts, read 1,625,651 times
Quote:
I would actually have to disagree on this one. Most blacks are not liberal in the "San Francisco" way (no offense to San Francisco). Many blacks are actually socially conservative on many issues. We are just strong advocates for a strong social safety net, worker's rights and an involved central government (for obvious historical reasons). Most blacks are not "liberal", because of their support for gay issues, save the whales, or any other "left wing" idealogy.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:15 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
I'd say NYC, DC, Boston, maybe parts of Chicago or Philly and sleepers could be Denver and Minneapolis.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM

1,709 posts, read 2,650,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I would actually have to disagree on this one. Most blacks are not liberal in the "San Francisco" way (no offense to San Francisco). Many blacks are actually socially conservative on many issues. We are just strong advocates for a strong social safety net, worker's rights and an involved central government (for obvious historical reasons). Most blacks are not "liberal", because of their support for gay issues, save the whales, or any other "left wing" idealogy.
Economic liberal but social conservative (in informal US discourse, just a disclaimer to ward off the libertarians, lol), then.

On second thought, blacks who are liberal both economically and socially would be better off in socially liberal cities that have large black populations like NY and DC (maybe anywhere along the Boswash corridor, but I don't know if there are differences between blacks in the different cities along it). I can't really think of anywhere else like that; I would assume that Atlanta would have a mix of social liberals (black gay population is big there) and social conservatives (since it's still in the South afterall).

Midwestern cities typically have poorer black populations and those in the middle class are more likely to still have conservative values since they would likely have recent Southern roots.

Blacks in the west would be too scattered for someone specifically looking for other blacks to be around, but I would definitely look there if that's not a problem for the OP.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM

95 posts, read 215,774 times
Quote:
Yeah I agree with goat314. Most African Americans are liberal when it's comes to racial issues, since we're often the targets of discrimination, but most are conservative in alot of ways. Most are very religious, don't support alternative ways of living, and think the family is important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or