Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 12:30 PM

167 posts, read 875,151 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Well my husband is in the Coast Guard and he will be transferred next summer. So we are trying to figure out where we want to go next. We are in northern FL right now. Anyway I have a 5 year old son with autism and I would like to go somewhere that has good autism services/schools for him. We had been thinking about california but with the earthquakes, landslides, fires, etc, were not so sure anymore. I would like to go somewhere that is scenic and has nice weather (not too hot or cold)! We have been to a few places along the east coast like maryland & NC (also SC). I just thought the west coast might be a nice change. I know it has to be somewhere on the coast at least! Anyway I appreciate any advice on this. Thanks everyone

Jen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:20 PM

167 posts, read 875,151 times
anyone have any info on this??

Old 04-13-2009, 09:09 PM

10,163 posts, read 20,701,071 times
Lincoln Massachusetts has one of the best in the nation. If you are able to get an assignment to Boston, see if you can live on Hanscom AFB, the schools on base have great services, you won't be disappointed.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 7,610 times
whatever you do, DO NOT go to AZ! AZ has the most restrictive and narrow guidelines for autistic children to get services and less than 10% receive any! I live here and the mental health system and autism resources are dismal. I'm going to move to MD perhaps as the facilitator at the group meeting I went to today said MD and NJ were good places to go. MD has the world renowned Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore and they take Medicaid if you don't have health insurance.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:03 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,605,854 times
I know Northern Virginia has good services, albeit pricey. But they are going to be pricey anywhere proper care and education is being brought forth.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
My mom has been an aide to autistic children in both NY and FL. NY by far. The autistic kids are mainstreamed in Florida and expected to pass the state tests In NY they're in programs in other schools called Boces, where people that are trained specifically with autism work in small class sizes. No comparison.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 PM

92,011 posts, read 122,107,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My mom has been an aide to autistic children in both NY and FL. NY by far. The autistic kids are mainstreamed in Florida and expected to pass the state tests In NY they're in programs in other schools called Boces, where people that are trained specifically with autism work in small class sizes. No comparison.
True and if you need good schools when they are in the pre-school ages, there are some good ones in NY too. My daughter actually goes to one in the Syracuse area. Jowonio School

In my area, I know some say school districts like Baldwinsville, Liverpool, Westhill and East Syracuse-Minoa have some good programs and in the Syracuse City SD, Ed smith Elementary in the University area is supposed to be pretty good too.

This might help too: CNY ASA - CNY Autism Society of America
The Inclusion Institute at Syracuse University
FEAT of CNY :: Families for Effective Autism Treatment of CNY, Syracuse and surrounding areas.
Learning to live with high-functioning autism | syracuse.com
Readers offer lots of advice for children with autism | Family Life Blog - syracuse.com

Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,836,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
True and if you need good schools when they are in the pre-school ages, there are some good ones in NY too. My daughter actually goes to one in the Syracuse area. Jowonio School

In my area, I know some say school districts like Baldwinsville, Liverpool, Westhill and East Syracuse-Minoa have some good programs and in the Syracuse City SD, Ed smith Elementary in the University area is supposed to be pretty good too.

This might help too: CNY ASA - CNY Autism Society of America
The Inclusion Institute at Syracuse University
FEAT of CNY :: Families for Effective Autism Treatment of CNY, Syracuse and surrounding areas.
Learning to live with high-functioning autism | syracuse.com
Readers offer lots of advice for children with autism | Family Life Blog - syracuse.com

Yep...although I'm not autistic, I needed a lot of special ed services growing up. I really don't think I would have made it this far in life had I not gotten the excellent services I did in my school district. You can't even tell nowadays that I once couldn't even talk.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:43 AM

43 posts, read 159,947 times
Western NY has a lot of offer in the way of services for students with special needs. (The down side would be the weather.) The Rochester area has excellent services as well as a Coast Guard station. The station is in Irondequoit which is also home to a wonderful school for children with Autism. ( Stepping Stones Learning Center)

Old 05-10-2010, 11:32 PM
tig

4 posts, read 32,323 times
Northern VA is a bait and switch. They brag about their services for autistic students, but when you enter your child into their into their system, they are not even trained in any teaching methods for autistic students at all, especially for MS and HS. The claim is that they have ABA services at all levels. When I put my autistic child in a Fairfax public school, they didn't even know what a BCBA is or anything about ABA methods. Sad, sad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.