U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-10-2011, 04:08 PM
Status: "get me out of the central coast!" (set 15 days ago)

3,892 posts, read 6,403,584 times

Advertisements

I have been curious on the difference between all these. Since there is not a universal definition for what defines a city and town.

And I am not sure people can define these because it differs for each state. All though, a think a universal definition would help even though every municipality and community already have names.

In the dictionary, and in certain public agencies I know we use urban, suburban, and rural for describing areas.

I used to think that any un-incorporated area would be considered a town. And incorporated communities are typically cities.

Now, I have some questions I been wondering.

Some cities (5,000-8mill) that have strong economies seem to be draw people from over and different cultures. In this sense, I think smaller cities around 50,000 population create a "global" feel. You have alot of people who have lived there a long time and then alot of people who have moved there from out of the area. Does the fascination of people moving to smaller cities fascinate everyone else where as in old days people used to stay in their towns and the explorers would travel to cities?

I have also wondered do we need cities that sour to 8 million people? Why not split large cities into several cities? If we didn't have large cities, would the small towns seize to exist? It seems that many small towns would not be so large if they didn't have job companies from larger cities opening up. I think this day and age, we have so many cities growing and popping up because they get business and people coming from all over. You have colleges that draw people from across the nation and from other nations.

Anyways, just some thoughts I had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.