U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM

1,749 posts, read 1,521,459 times
1980's

LA and NYC

1990's

LA and NYC

2000's

LA and NYC

2010's?

LA and NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 02:00 PM

1,942 posts, read 2,102,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Tunechi View Post
2010's: D.C. and ATL continued...
Agreed......................

Old 04-11-2011, 02:25 PM

7,710 posts, read 8,726,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
2010-2020:

Oklahoma City
Omaha
Souix Falls, SD
Fargo, ND
Rochester, MN
Des Moines
Madison
Denver
Salt Lake City
Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Raleigh (again)
I see a shift toward the Plains and some continuation in already-hot growth spots, but to a higher degree. The bigger boom cities of last decade may slow down a bit this decade. Just my vision.
To that, I'd add Austin (again). Those two cities/metros are projected to be #1 & #2 in growth rates through the next two decades.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:37 PM

4,883 posts, read 4,170,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_Aficionado View Post
Harris Interactive 2010 Ranking

1. NYC
2. San Diego
3. Las Vegas
4. Seattle
5. San Francisco
6. Los Angeles
7. Tie: Atlanta/Nashville
9. Denver
10. Boston

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > New York City, San Diego and Las Vegas Top List of Cities People Would Like to Live In or Near
I'm not sure how much weight I would give that poll...but I'm actually pretty shocked that Nashville made the top 10....especially considering how small we are compared to all the other cities (well, except maybe Vegas).

Old 04-11-2011, 03:17 PM

9,391 posts, read 6,101,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
I'm not sure how much weight I would give that poll...but I'm actually pretty shocked that Nashville made the top 10....especially considering how small we are compared to all the other cities (well, except maybe Vegas).
Harris Interactive: Harris Polls > New York City, San Diego and Las Vegas Top List of Cities People Would Like to Live In or Near

Yeah, I don't know about how much I trust that list...Especially since according that site New York also tops the list of cities people say they wouldn't want to live in...As well as Boston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco being on both lists too.

1-New York, NY
2-Detroit, MI
3-Los Angeles, CA
4-Chicago, IL
5-Houston, TX
6-Miami, FL
7-Washington, DC
8-San Francisco, CA
9-Dallas, TX
10-Phoenix, AZ and New Orleans, LA (Tied)

Last edited by Deezus; 04-11-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 04-11-2011, 03:22 PM

3,738 posts, read 4,554,926 times
The 80s? NYC?

NYC was a giant criminal dump in the 80s with crack. Nobody wanted NYC

Old 04-11-2011, 03:24 PM

965 posts, read 1,047,273 times
2010s

1: The Old Reliables:

NYC
SF
LA
San Diego
Atlanta
Dallas
Houston
Boston
Chicago
Seattle

2: The Up & Comers:

Charlotte
Raleigh
Austin
Ft Worth
Columbus
Nashville
Orlando
Indianapolis

3: The Off-Most-Radars, But-Keep-Yer-Eye-On-'Em:

Omaha
Huntsville
Boise
Richmond VA
Albuquerque
Madison WI
Charleston SC
Wilmington NC
Fargo
Des Moines

1. Needs no explanation.

2. Cities that were backwaters just a few decades ago, that have transitioned into major cities. To varying degrees, they've had a history of leadership with strong future-orientations, so even if they slow down a bit over the next decade, they have a phenomenal amount of momentum (and hype) built up, and even a casual look at each of them reveals that momentum has become a force unto itself.

3. Cities that are today what the #2 cities were say 20-30 years ago. They're still comparatively small, but they have decent economies (for the most part), and growth rates have slowly, but steadily increased over the last few decades. They're at least a decade or two from the critical mass point of the #2 group of cities - some will make it, and some will not, but their infrastructure, human capital, and general amenity level (universities, r&d, transportation networks, strong unique industries) is considerably higher than most of their peer (similarly sized) cities.

Interesting question. In each decade, there are also some cities that decline. Some are able to reverse it, while others seem to just go over a cliff. I wonder what of the cities that fared badly during the last decade or two might be poised for a comeback, and which ones are not? Most of those cities are in the NE and eastern Great Lakes, but with the real estate crash, there are also a number of Florida and Southwest cities that might (or do) fall into that category. I think the most dramatic example of a reversal that I can think of is Charleston SC - once one of the 10 largest cities in the US (Pre-Civil War), only to stall, and then lose population on and off for decades, with essentially zero real growth for something like 100 years. And then - in 10 years, it made up it's lost population, and in the 30 years since, has doubled its' previous peak, which might be a unique accomplishment.). Washington DC has similarly undergone a dramatic resurgence.

What will be the next city, and why?

Old 04-11-2011, 04:39 PM

4,883 posts, read 4,170,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Yeah, I don't know about how much I trust that list...Especially since according that site New York also tops the list of cities people say they wouldn't want to live in...As well as Boston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco being on both lists too.
That's the sort of love-hate relationship that Americans tend to have with popular places.

In sports terms, it's kind of like the Yankees being the team with the most fans, but also the team that everyone else tends to hate.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:05 PM

1,983 posts, read 1,623,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
Philly is understandable. But Pittsburgh and Nashville? Those are random additions in my opinion.
I disagree. I have read many, many lists ranking cities in magazines, etc, but don't recall ever seeing Chicago or Philadelphia mentioned favorably. Chicago was much more popular in the early part of the 20th century. I remember the news headline saying "Wharton graduates "just say no" to Philadelphia" because it seemed they nearly all moved away after graduating.

Pittsburgh on the other hand I have seen ranked as the #1 most liveable U.S. city by some magazines.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:05 AM

993 posts, read 579,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, the extreme climate and the social culture of most Plains cities is just not desirable for many people. They will only grow due to job increases only, and not because people just "want to live there."
Fargo has the worst climate on that list and has grown by 12% or more each decade and being a large college town it is fairly progressive. That said I don't really consider Fargo or Sioux Falls to be Plains cities, they are much more Midwestern. A true Plains city would be Bismarck, which would certainly reflect both the extreme weather and social culture you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.