U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 09:47 AM

2,109 posts, read 5,142,794 times

Advertisements

The title is self-explanatory. Basically my story is about the same as millions of other people: We currently live in a highly overpriced metro ( San Francisco) and want to someday move to a more affordable metro where there is work in our field ( tech). That means 2 or 3 cities that are currently very "hot" places to move to as it would seem. Look on these sites and you'd think half the country is moving to Austin or Raleigh.

The only thing about it is that I sometimes worry that by the time we actually make that move, by the time we do so those area will have basically turned into the very place we moved away from: Overpriced, overcrowded, gentrified, etc etc. We would like to live in a somewhat interesting non-cookie cutter neighborhood. But... so does everyone else and especially people with money. There are already neighborhoods in both Austin and Raleigh with house prices that rival SF.

But getting beyond home prices, I wonder if these places will by the very fact that so many of those moving in are from places like SF, NY, and Chicago etc turn into something akin to those places. I have no room to talk. I too am one of "them". But still- I'm sure this thought has crossed other people's minds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM

4,352 posts, read 7,448,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
But still- I'm sure this thought has crossed other people's minds.
Everyday, especially when I read these forums, although not so much where I would be moving from (Michigan), but where other people are moving from. My dh wants to move to a smallish town in the extreme outerlying area of the Atlanta metro in a couple of years. Me, I'm not so sure. Whenever I read the Atlanta forum here on C-D, it seems like half of NY and NJ are moving to Atlanta. Nothing against NY'ers or NJersians, but they are coming from a place where life is hectic, expensive, and crowded. Will that result in metro Atlanta becoming more and more that way as time goes by? Gosh, I hope not! I see the same thing on the SC forum. It makes me wonder who will be left in NY and NJ in another decade!

Last edited by canudigit; 04-11-2011 at 11:53 AM..

Old 04-11-2011, 02:35 PM

4,250 posts, read 9,740,693 times
I think often the locals in places like that are more afraid that the place will turn into where the transplants are coming from, than the transplants are, if that makes sense.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:56 PM

6,420 posts, read 10,891,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
I think often the locals in places like that are more afraid that the place will turn into where the transplants are coming from, than the transplants are, if that makes sense.
I think it's more true with the smaller cities/metros than the larger ones. If 250,000 people move to Raleigh-Durham, it's going to make a much more significant impact on the place than say 250,000 to New York or Los Angeles.

Plus, locals are going to notice more of a change from "how things were" 30-40 years ago that transplants won't...unless the transplants end up staying permanently. So it only makes sense that locals are going to be more afraid of that.

I can get where silverbox is coming from, though. If you are moving to "get away from" certain problems that your current city has (i.e. traffic, pollution, high cost of living, etc), and you pick one of those "in" cities like Raleigh or Austin (or any number of others), you might soon find that you and all of the other transplants have "turned" the city into what you were looking to escape.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:02 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,813,459 times
no one ever thinks they are the problem. especially cracks me up when transplants complain about transplants - like the gates should've been locked once they've graced their new town with their presence! LOL

I digress - bottom line - NO PLACE is the same as it was 30-40 years ago. I can sit and whine about how my childhood city is a mere shell of what it used to be, then I'd have to sit and hear people in my current town whine about how it was BEFORE *I* moved there. Whatever - move where you want to! Be respectful, kind and you'll get it in return.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:07 PM

4,250 posts, read 9,740,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no one ever thinks they are the problem. especially cracks me up when transplants complain about transplants - like the gates should've been locked once they've graced their new town with their presence! LOL
I've heard that called the "drawbridge mentality."

Old 04-11-2011, 09:07 PM

86 posts, read 212,047 times
I keep looking, actually googled it tonight "Hidden Gems" in regards to real estate and little towns suburb to larger cities nationwide that may be up and coming for this exact reason. We moved from Florida to Madison, WI in 2006 and without a doubt this is a great place to live. In Florida we lived in a nice area but the schools are just awful... No recess at all in 1st - 5th grade... Physical Education only two times a week. Wisconsin schools have this and more. Music Lessons with instruments. Foreign Languages. Our eldest son, age 16 thrived here. He has straight A's, Varsity runner for Cross Country and VP of his class. We never regret making the move for that...

THE PROBLEM. Winters are way too long and we feel so unhealthy when we live here. We bought the skis (we live only two miles from a ski hill) but at anything -5 degrees it's just not fun!!! We have the cross country skis, same problem. We work from home and can live anywhere in the country -- which living in Madison makes it even worse in the winter. When you work from home your in your house all day, then at night when the kids are home from school, we're still home. It's like being on house arrest haha!

So for over two years now we have researched moving to Raleigh, Austin possibly Denver (a lot of sunshine, not so cold) but now Denver is out we're just to fearful of the snow and being homebound.

We wish there was a hidden gem out there that someone could tell us about. We're so afraid of moving to Raleigh and hating it because it is overcrowded and hasn't had time to catch up with the growth. We love to swim so somewhere we can swim would be great. Then comes in we have to rent for a year until we can find the right place.

Sorry for rambling -- Both cities seem amazing!

Old 04-11-2011, 11:00 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,423,177 times
People down here who are familiar with both Austin and San Antonio, generally say that San Antonio has already become a nicer town than Austin. (Or, Austin has slid below SA.) In particular, Austin traffic is just absolutely terrible.

Let's put it this way: A lot people in Austin say San Antonio is nicer, but not vice versa. Of course, you could always choose San Marcos, a really lovely college town in between.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:30 AM

2,109 posts, read 5,142,794 times
Quote:
I would agree with this. I guess where I'm coming from is that I've watched the small Tennessee city I'm from transform at a breakneck speed into something that doesn't really even faintly resemble what it looked like even 10-15 years ago. Its the exact same type of growth you'd find elsewhere in the Southeast: Sprawl on top of sprawl. On the other hand its affordable. But after having seen this I'm not sure I'd care to move back.

I'm one of "those people" who moved out of there. I'm one of those millions that moved to Cali and probably helped turn California into what its become: Overcrowded and unaffordable. I've experienced firsthand during the housing bubble what its like to literally get priced out of the housing market. The quality of life here in comparison to TN is poor. So after having experienced this I have a distinct desire not to have to experience that kind of atmosphere in some other city. Thus my perhaps unrealistic fear that wherever we move might turn into what we're getting away from.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM

3,697 posts, read 3,298,606 times
Wow... this thread describes the whole state of Florida. "Old Florida was wonderful..." New Florida.. not so much.....

Why do people move somewhere, and then immediately start trying to change it into what they just left? If you can't live without NY pizza, then why move and start complaining. Either deal with it or start your own pizza place....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or