Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2011, 09:15 PM

42 posts, read 75,343 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,
Well I have been looking around this forum constantly since I signed up. It has so much information I am so glad I came across it. So my boyfriend and I are planning on moving within a year (I am hoping by the end of this year). I am almost done with school and we will both hopefully be working from home until we find a permanent home. We will be moving from California (I hate saying I'm from California). We are so tired of the expenses here and want to experience something new anyways.

What we are looking for is
-west or central US we are willing to look on the east coast just a little far from what we are used to but willing to move.
-lots of sun (we don't mind slight snow, a few days a year) but are really looking for year round sun and warm temps.
-affordable we don't care about a big house. We are more than willing to live in a mobile home on land if it is in good condition
-land, we would like a little bit of land like an acre, we love to grow our own fruits and veggies, would love to find somewhere that has long
growing seasons.
-smaller town, doesn't have to be too small were just not into the city living but doesn't have to be country living either.
-we also love outdoor activities. Would love hills, mountains, lakes, or rivers.

So far we have visited Boise, Id. Love it but the winters are a little longer than we might want. We are going to visit northern Arizona (valley verde, sedona area) this summer and are hoping we like that. I doubt we will find our perfect place but I hope we find something close.

Thanks for all your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2011, 10:51 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I visited a friend in Las Vegas, New Mexico, who loves it there, and it seemed like a really nice, livable town.

I think Grand Junction, Colorado, is beginning to get expensive, but everyone I've ever met who had lived there loved it. Durango is getting very shi-shi, but in between there is Cortez, which might be worth checking out.

Consider Alpine, in west Texas, a nice college town near the mountains.

The climate in (don't laugh) western Kansas is beautiful in winter, a few heavy blizzards, but the rest of the days sunny and mild. Not many hills, mountains, lakes of rivers, though.

Lots of outdoorsy stuff to do around Springfield, Missouri, which has the lowest cost of living in the USA. I lived a couple years in Salem, Missouri, and I would highly recommend it, for all the things you are looking for, if you don't mind a town that small (4,000).

Old 04-12-2011, 10:01 PM

42 posts, read 75,343 times
Thanks for the response. I will definitely be looking into all of those!

Old 04-15-2011, 09:15 PM

14 posts, read 42,206 times
Northern Arizona has pretty cold winters and really lacks in social life, activities.Grand Junction is nice but not allot of work right now. Not much for rental housing, known for being one of the tightest rental markets in nation.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:10 PM

25 posts, read 65,225 times
Hi myladeybugg,

How about Nixon, Nevada? I've never been there, but it seems to fit a lot of your criteria. The only thing is the town is kind of small.

I wasn't sure if you could grow fruit in Nevada, but apparently you can. Also, Pyramid Lake is not far from Nixon.

Hope that helps!

Old 04-23-2011, 03:30 PM

25 posts, read 65,225 times
Ooops! Nixon is in the Pyramid Lake Reservation. Sorry about that! Somewhere in Nevada still may be a good place to relocate to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.