Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,892,327 times

Advertisements

Nor Cal, Pacific NW aren't cold like the Great Lakes, but they never really get warm either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 AM

77 posts, read 466,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
...and Minnesota gets up to 90 in the summer, so does that make MN a 'hot' state?

Nobody moves to Cali because there are 'cooler' tempuratures there.
If I moved from here to there (which I am contemplating) that is one of the big reasons

Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanandneedtobeloved View Post
I just copied the list from somewhere cuz I was too lazy to type it out. i fixed it though.

But yeah um, it's obvious North Dakota is a 'cold state' and Florida is a 'hot state' but how would you classify say, Kentucky or Colorado?
It was down in the 20's and 30's for quite a while here this winter and I have seen it in the teens so while I understand you are just making broad generalizations, even the most southern of states does not just have one temp.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:10 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
IBTW, 99% of people dont move anywhere because of the weather unless their retirees.
I would be part of that 1%
Couldn't stand the cold in NY, hopped on the plane with no place to stay and no job.
Been here for 21 years now.

Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
I would hanker a guess.... I would declare a state hot or cold depending on how many months of said temp.

Here's where it gets tricky. I have a friend in South California, and when it gets down into the 40's they are complaining how cold it is. At that very same time, I'm living at the IL/WI border and it's -20F out. I think THEIR definition of cold is rather silly.

I have a friend in Kansas who says their winters are about Dec, Jan, Feb. My IL/WI border winters are more like Dec, Jan, Feb, March.

Oct, Nov is typical Autumn. April, May is typical Spring.

Soooo.... June, July, August is our only real summer months. Sept can be an Autumn or a Summer month, depending on various years.

My region has a typical 3 month summer. Other regions have a typical 5 month summer. Other regions might be more like 7 months.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:59 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,074,989 times
Your list is a gross oversimplification. The altitude and terrain varies widely within many states, including those on both the east and west coasts. For example, the highest and lowest spots in the lower 48 states (Mount Whitney and Death Valley) are less than 100 miles apart.

The Dakotas and upper plains including Canada, stay over 100 degrees for much of the summer.

Boone, North Carolina stays well below zero in winter, and has skiing, combined with very cool summers.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,677,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charger62790 View Post
If I moved from here to there (which I am contemplating) that is one of the big reasons
We get a lot of people who relocate here from South Texas or Atlanta that will say the same thing.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times
TN most definitely has 4 seasons and yes- believe it or not- does get cold in the winter. I think there needs to be a "temperate" selection.I would not classify TN as HOT.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:37 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Nor Cal, Pacific NW aren't cold like the Great Lakes, but they never really get warm either.
That's not true at all...For most of the areas right on the coast, yes it's pretty mild year round--but inland it gets hot in summer and into fall--and in Northern California and the NW north of San Francisco hardly anyone lives on the coast, most of the population lives inland.

The northern Sacramento Valley all the way up to Redding averages close to a high of 100 F for the summer months, as does Yakima, WA and Central Washington. In the Umpqua and Rogue Valleys in Southern Oregon the average highs are in the 90s from June to September. Even Portland and most of the Willamette Valley gets into the 80s for most of the summer. Most people would consider that warm.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:45 PM

287 posts, read 738,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That's not true at all...For most of the areas right on the coast, yes it's pretty mild year round--but inland it gets hot in summer and into fall--and in Northern California and the NW north of San Francisco hardly anyone lives on the coast, most of the population lives inland.

The northern Sacramento Valley all the way up to Redding averages close to a high of 100 F for the summer months, as does Yakima, WA and Central Washington. In the Umpqua and Rogue Valleys in Southern Oregon the average highs are in the 90s from June to September. Even Portland and most of the Willamette Valley gets into the 80s for most of the summer. Most people would consider that warm.
Ditto. Including warm springs in oregon, averaging 97 in july and august (located on eastern side of cascades, in northern central oregon)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.