Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:13 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Majorities don't stand up for themselves because they're scared the minority will call racism, and no one wants that label.
Hi annie - I was addressing another poster. I'm curious to read his or her specific examples where minorities "walk all over the majority."

That said, are you speaking from a personal experience where you were afraid to stand up for yourself for fear of being labeled a racist? I am curious about these times when majorities don't stand up for themselves because I haven't actually seen that too terribly often. Unless I'm exposed to examples, I'm not sure I buy into this concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 03:22 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post

Care to give examples of minorities walking all over the majority?
Dual cultures in one nation. Such as the Arabic immigration to western Europe. The fact that they are going there in itself isn't a problem but they aren't assimilating to the culture. The same could be said for some of the illegal immigrants in the United States. Multiculturalism in my opinion is destined to fail. Assimilation has worked for the United States since our beginnings. Hell our culture was founded on the idea of assimilation, but it seems like assimilation is not an accepted practice anymore.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Hi annie - I was addressing another poster. I'm curious to read his or her specific examples where minorities "walk all over the majority."

That said, are you speaking from a personal experience where you were afraid to stand up for yourself for fear of being labeled a racist? I am curious about these times when majorities don't stand up for themselves because I haven't actually seen that too terribly often. Unless I'm exposed to examples, I'm not sure I buy into this concept.
How about affirmative action? How is affirmative action fair to anyone? It's unfair to the majority because they are discriminated against and it's unfair to the minority because it makes them strive less for achievement in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
How about affirmative action? How is affirmative action fair to anyone? It's unfair to the majority because they are discriminated against and it's unfair to the minority because it makes them strive less for achievement in my opinion.
It's an opinion and it's a fair topic to raise. Are you aware how AA works, however? It is not a quota system. It simply requires that employers who do business with the federal government make equal outreach (i.e., take affirmative actions) to encourage women and minorities to apply for work. These companies then pick the best qualified candidates from that diverse slate, regardless of race or gender. In fact, it would be illegal to hire a woman or a minority because of their gender or race.

It was put into place because many companies were only seeking the applications of white males.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
It's an opinion and it's a fair topic to raise. Are you aware how AA works, however? It is not a quota system. It simply requires that employers who do business with the federal government make equal outreach (i.e., take affirmative actions) to encourage women and minorities to apply for work. These companies then pick the best qualified candidates from that diverse slate, regardless of race or gender. In fact, it would be illegal to hire a woman or a minority because of their gender or race.

It was put into place because many companies were only seeking the applications of white males.
That's all well and good but proof of a violation of that law is, also, based on opinion.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
That's all well and good but proof of a violation of that law is, also, based on opinion.
Not sure I understand your post. I explained the law, which is fact, not opinion. Are you saying you have proof of Affirmative Action being violated? Could you elaborate, please?

If you have been a victim of a violation of this law, you can file a claim and receive compensation, and the company which violated it is subject to some pretty hefty fines, sometimes into the millions. Claims have been settled with both men and women and with people of all races, including whites.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Not sure I understand your post. I explained the law, which is fact, not opinion. Are you saying you have proof of Affirmative Action being violated? Could you elaborate, please?

If you have been a victim of a violation of this law, you can file a claim and receive compensation, and the company which violated it is subject to some pretty hefty fines, sometimes into the millions. Claims have been settled with both men and women and with people of all races, including whites.
No I'm saying that it would be hard to prove a violation of the Affirmative Action. If a company has only Asian & White employees does that mean that they discriminate against all other races? If you say yes, how can you prove it? Things like that.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:52 PM

24 posts, read 50,552 times
I find it interesting that a lot of you feel the same way about the UK. I'm currently in London as I am applying for Uni's here and it's so international. I really want to live in America in a big city like chicago or new york. If i can live down in London for 3 years I'm sure i could cope with them.

I'd love an apartment in UWS.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
No I'm saying that it would be hard to prove a violation of the Affirmative Action. If a company has only Asian & White employees does that mean that they discriminate against all other races? If you say yes, how can you prove it? Things like that.
Look, YOU brought up Affirmative Action as an example of a way in which "minorities walk over the majority" and now you're asking ME to prove how a company discriminates if only has whites and Asians in the eyes of that law. With respect, it seems to me you don't know how AA works. Why don't you do a little research?

Until then, I continue to see the overwhelming number of politicians (national to my local dogcatcher), judges, corporate CEOs, university presidents and Hollywood media moguls are white and male like me. I'm personally not feeling particularly oppressed by minorities. If you are a white male and are feeling oppressed and "walked on" by minorities, I hope it gets better for you.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:45 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:

I'm a black male so no. But I run into white people who are nervous and scared to say certain things around me or act a certain way. I haven't walked over anyone though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.