U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 03:55 PM

12 posts, read 18,242 times

Advertisements

We LOVE all the lush tress, waterfalls etc but no so sure I can live in the grey all the time. We are considering Spokane and now possibly vacouver but open to suggestions. I know Spokane has great weather but down side is that its kind of far from Seattle and coast. We want mountains mostly but would love to be able to get to coast with in 2 hours or so. I have heard Wenatchee is nice but the pics looks barron and I don't see the trees that I am longing for! I WANT HUGE CHRISTMAS TREES everywhere!! We love Multnomah area as well but I am afraid the rain will be a problem. We want a smaller town than 4 million of Houston but not too tiny...I know I am picky but we are leaving Houston after 33 years and all we have even known so I want to be certain...Anyway any suggestions would be great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 05:16 PM

292 posts, read 638,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtxgal View Post
We LOVE all the lush tress, waterfalls etc but no so sure I can live in the grey all the time. We are considering Spokane and now possibly vacouver but open to suggestions. I know Spokane has great weather but down side is that its kind of far from Seattle and coast. We want mountains mostly but would love to be able to get to coast with in 2 hours or so. I have heard Wenatchee is nice but the pics looks barron and I don't see the trees that I am longing for! I WANT HUGE CHRISTMAS TREES everywhere!! We love Multnomah area as well but I am afraid the rain will be a problem. We want a smaller town than 4 million of Houston but not too tiny...I know I am picky but we are leaving Houston after 33 years and all we have even known so I want to be certain...Anyway any suggestions would be great!!!
Theres a huge difference between Pacific Northwest rain and Houston rain. Houston rain is HEAVY DOWNPOUR most of time whenever it rains, but its brief I suppose. Throw in hail, T-storms, heavy winds, etc. We don't get that, if ever, only once or twice a year. Rain here is constant, but its soooo LIGHT, you don't even need umbrella or even pull up the hoodie. It might feel like it rained everyday because there isn't enough time between showers for road to dry up. During winter and spring, it is humid (at cool 45-55 degrees) so drying might take a bit little time if there isn't any sun. Spring time is huge difference than winter, because during spring time, theres lots of afternoon sunshine with lots of partly clouds, scattered isolated clouds with mizzle (mist drizzle rain) Winter time, it can be very gray all day but we do get a stretch of crispy cool and clear sunny days in winter. It is NOT 9 months of rain and gray. But it IS 3 months of majority "gray, wet, mild" and 3 months of "unstable spring weather" I described above. All of these are for Western Washington and Western Oregon. Eastern side is wayyyyy different, you might think you are in other country due to landscape, climate difference. Summer time, is stretch of sunny blue skies from sunrise to sunset, mild 70-80 degrees with occasionally heat waves up to the 90s. Rain and gray comes to FULL stop for 3 months starting mid June to Early July till late September to mid October. We get 25% sunshine in winter and 85% sunshine in summer. Air is soooo clean here, you won't believe how clean it is.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:50 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,669,417 times
You might take a look at Bend, OR. Or, Cascade Locks or Hood River, OR. Or Chehalis, WA. Maybe Chelan, WA would suit you.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:01 PM

5 posts, read 11,434 times
Just curious..... Did you move? We are looking at moving from the Austin area to Vancouver. I am looking from a perspective of a southerner as far as weather change etc... Thanks!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:37 PM

57 posts, read 125,463 times
I'm a southerner in Seattle, and I love the weather! The summers are so beautiful and perfect (for what I like), and I actually like the chilly, wintry-ness of the city Nov-April. Just make sure you get some thick socks, good boots, and a thermos of spiked cider, and you'll be good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.