Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:18 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You beat me to it! Your list is almost 100% what I was getting ready to post. The only addition I was going to make was that I have lived in the South and the lack of seasons, rude people, and miserable mud holes they call lakes made it so I have a hard time even visiting there anymore.

I can live anywhere in the US I want because both my job and my wifes are ones that are needed anywhere in the Country. I live in the North (Great Lakes region to be specific) because the schools are the best for my kids, the wages are higher than the South while the COL is lower than a lot of places. Real 4 seasons without any one of them overpowering the others. You can get a LOT of house for the money.

If the OP is referring to the Northeast more than the overall "North" they are still wrong in their stereotypical view.

For Observation... I lived in Maine for 20 years, couldn't wait to get out and back to the Midwest. Nice place to visit, but VERY hard to make a living. Sounds like you haven't got a real clue about the "North" and are basing your views on very wrong stereotypes. Maybe get out of your little bubble and visit without your preconceived ideas and prejudices.
They're obviously living up to the stereotype of "yankee" hating.

You couldn't pay me to move back to Kentucky or Alabama. I'm Minneapolis bound and still have so much love for Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland, Cinci, Milwaukee, Madison... You know... REAL CITIES.

The only "real" city in the south is Atlanta, and even it is on the edge of being yet another clone of the next strip mall and McMansion filled metro area.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBryant View Post
Is the Northeastern U.S. becoming uninhabitable? Or as some people have put it, only people who cannot afford to move will stay there?
You're joking, right? After ending my career in the south, we could have gone anywhere in the country. We left for the northeast that day and never looked back. Why? Because we find EACH of these are better here:

Quality of Life
Education
Housing
Weather
Recreation and Entertainment
Culture (not on your list but on mine)

Yes the cost of living is somewhat higher here, but you get what you pay for, right?

As for racism being over in the south? You be the judge:

Columbia, SC:

All sizes | South Carolina State House | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshlabotnik/5249769539/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Carolina/Carolina border:

All sizes | South of the Border | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbadragon/5230104745/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Athens, AL:

All sizes | Athens, Alabama KKK (Ku Klux Klan) Rally and Counter-Protests September 2007 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregskibinski/1394069102/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 04-17-2011 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: correct typo

Old 04-17-2011, 05:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:

It seems like the Southeast is the place to be now, and everyone seems to be moving there for a "better life". Is the Northeastern U.S. becoming uninhabitable? Or as some people have put it, only people who cannot afford to move will stay there?
Well, the US is a huge country, and isn't just limited to a North and South region...What do you mean when you refer to the North--just the Northeast?

On the West Coast, when educated, successful people talk about possibly relocating to the other side of the country they might think about the Northeast cities--Boston, New York, DC, etc...or maybe Chicago. I can guarantee you that outside of a few locations(Atlanta, Research Triangle, Austin) the South never comes up as a place that people would desire to relocate to, at least that's been my experience living in the West.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
The Northeast (specifically the Bos-Wash corridor) has among the best quality of life in the world. It's a fantastic place to live if you have the money.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
You're joking, right? After ending my career in the south, we could have gone anywhere in the country. We left for the northeast that day and never looked back. Why? Because we find EACH of these are better here:

Quality of Life
Education
Housing
Weather
Recreation and Entertainment
Culture (not on your list but on mine)

Yes the cost of living is somewhat higher here, but you get what you pay for, right?

Columbia, SC:

All sizes | South Carolina State House | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeshlabotnik/5249769539/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Carolina/Carolina border:

All sizes | South of the Border | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/rubbadragon/5230104745/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

Athens, AL:

All sizes | Athens, Alabama KKK (Ku Klux Klan) Rally and Counter-Protests September 2007 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregskibinski/1394069102/sizes/z/in/photostream/ - broken link)

This is not fair. First off how is the South of the Border thing racist??? Any reference to ethinic groups is racist?? Political correctness has gone too far. Now for the confederate flag, that is a symbol of the south and of states rights. Racist groups USE the flag, just as they use the USA flag for thier agenda. That does not make the flag racist. I respect the cause of states rights, and believe much of the confederate cause was correct and honerable. (no I dont defend slavery either) Many Americans support states rights, and small goverment and that is what the confederacy stood for. They have the right to fly it. Now the pictures of the Klan could be from anywhere. In the midwest the KKK is strong as well, but they are considered northern places. I grew up 2 miles from the grand wizzard of the kkk in Michigan, so the klan is everywhere. In fact during the 1920s the govenor of Indiana was klan so you cannot suggest the south is the only place racist groups show up. From my experience with the south I believe they are in fact less racist than other places. Blacks and whites have lived close to each other for hundreds of years there, and in recent decades seem to be comming to terms with race issues better than most places. Chicago and Detroit are some of the most racially segregated places in America. In fact if I had to pick the most racist part of America I would have to admit that my region, the midwest has that dubious title. The tired old stereotypes of the south need to be given a rest.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:01 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Only people who stay up north...

1. Brainwashed idiots who think we all play banjos
2. People who live in Chicago, Boston, Philly, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Milwaukee, or NYC because those are good cities, or Maine cause its nice
3. People who can't leave because there family has trapped them there
4. People who are scared of the unknown
5. People who are making money there an can't leave

Still many people are coming down from those cities and Maine. I'm saying other than being ignorant or being trapped there I can definitely understand why you would want to stay there, because despite the cold and the prices and everything else, there still great places providing your not poor, than your life there sucks, especially in the winter.

If you live in Detroit, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Shoot... Just choose any midwest or northern city that I didn't just post up there and your single, and have no family in the area, or no unique job offer you can only get there, WTF is wrong with you? Are you on the run from the federal government? Are you an illegal immigrant?
That's funny......I moved to the "great" Southeast(Florida) from Pennsylvania and IF the housing values ever stabilize here......I can't wait to sell and to move back to Pennsylvania.

The grass always looks greener on the other side but I found out that is NOT true!!!!

Old 04-17-2011, 10:16 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,685,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
This is not fair. First off how is the South of the Border thing racist??? Any reference to ethinic groups is racist?? Political correctness has gone too far. Now for the confederate flag, that is a symbol of the south and of states rights. Racist groups USE the flag, just as they use the USA flag for thier agenda. That does not make the flag racist. I respect the cause of states rights, and believe much of the confederate cause was correct and honerable. (no I dont defend slavery either) Many Americans support states rights, and small goverment and that is what the confederacy stood for. They have the right to fly it. Now the pictures of the Klan could be from anywhere. In the midwest the KKK is strong as well, but they are considered northern places. I grew up 2 miles from the grand wizzard of the kkk in Michigan, so the klan is everywhere. In fact during the 1920s the govenor of Indiana was klan so you cannot suggest the south is the only place racist groups show up. From my experience with the south I believe they are in fact less racist than other places. Blacks and whites have lived close to each other for hundreds of years there, and in recent decades seem to be comming to terms with race issues better than most places. Chicago and Detroit are some of the most racially segregated places in America. In fact if I had to pick the most racist part of America I would have to admit that my region, the midwest has that dubious title. The tired old stereotypes of the south need to be given a rest.
Amen brother

God forbid people would actually realize that the South is more integrated nowadays than the Northeast or the Midwest. Good grief. People just can't let go of their brainwashing when they were children. That flag isn't racist one damn bit and I know plenty of local blacks that don't even pay attention to that flag.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:18 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
i am glad you don't live here. people who ultra-sensitive about race, and have no humor about it, will probably not enjoy living in the south.

Last edited by le roi; 04-18-2011 at 05:31 AM..

Old 04-18-2011, 06:27 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i am glad you don't live here. people who ultra-sensitive about race, and have no humor about it, will probably not enjoy living in the south.
What is humorous about the KKK or other anti-non-white thinking?

People who have a shred of decency and pride will probably not enjoy living in the south after comments like that.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,738,692 times
Quote:
The Southeast isn't racist anymore...
I would very strongly beg to differ. Maybe you don't see blatant, public racism, but I can assure you it's alive and very much kicking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.