Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2011, 08:02 PM

161 posts, read 561,004 times

Advertisements

Which SE city currently has the best economy?

Consider the SE to be:

Anything below the VA/NC and KY/TN border and east of the Mississippi River
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,723 times
charlotte nc

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
If one factor's lower unemployment rates (which is a positive sign of overall health of the economy) the Little Rock, AR metro would come in first with 7.1%, followed by the Durham-Chapel Hill, NC metro and Lake Charles, LA metro at 7.3%. Durham-Chapel Hill would get my vote given the diversity of employers as well as it's proximity to Raleigh and all of it's offerings. Charlotte is doing pretty horribly, at 10.7%.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 04-19-2011, 07:08 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,311,236 times
Lafayette, La is at 6.3% right now according to that chart. Currently a 5 star hotel complex and a large Haliburton branch are being built which should provide for a few hundred more jobs as well. Its west of the Mississippi River however.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 AM

13,340 posts, read 39,831,776 times
Kiplinger just came out with their 11 "comeback cities" for 2011, and here are the ones in the Southeast:

Chattanooga
Nashville
Orlando
Jacksonville
Charlotte

11 Comeback Cities for 2011 - Kiplinger

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 04-19-2011, 05:27 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,082,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Kiplinger just came out with their 11 "comeback cities" for 2011, and here are the ones in the Southeast:

Chattanooga
Nashville
Orlando
Jacksonville
Charlotte

11 Comeback Cities for 2011 - Kiplinger
Good for them because they are comeback cities but they were all hit particularly hard by the recession. For instance, areas like the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) are still doing better than most of these comeback kids, especially Charlotte.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,297,634 times
I'd like to add on that Knoxville seems to be holding its own right now. The unemployment rate for Knox County (non-seasonally adjusted) was at 6.8 percent, the 2nd lowest county rate in the state. As a metro area, Knoxville is faring better than most of Tennessee.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:55 PM

161 posts, read 561,004 times
It was not until recently that I realized just what bad shape most of the SE states are in.

When they talk about the worst states, you always here about Michigan, Nevada, and California. But Michigan is actually doing better than quite a few SE states. Except for a few isolated cities, it looks really bad in the SE. The recovery their seems slower than other regions.

Why is the SE doing so bad? When we think of the Midwest, we think about the loss of all the manufacturing jobs. I thought the SE was more diverse. I guess not?

Old 04-20-2011, 05:00 AM

27,007 posts, read 43,601,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota79 View Post
It was not until recently that I realized just what bad shape most of the SE states are in.

When they talk about the worst states, you always here about Michigan, Nevada, and California. But Michigan is actually doing better than quite a few SE states. Except for a few isolated cities, it looks really bad in the SE. The recovery their seems slower than other regions.

Why is the SE doing so bad? When we think of the Midwest, we think about the loss of all the manufacturing jobs. I thought the SE was more diverse. I guess not?
I think because many who lost jobs in the Rust Belt prior to the overall recession fled to the Southeast. When everything hit bottom the Southeast was disproportionately affected due to the massive influx of population. Meanwhile the Midwest has leveled out due to fewer unemployed folks out looking for jobs since many had left. Lastly, the Southeast has a much less diverse economy in my opinion. With the exception of some larger cities (Atlanta, Miami) most of the Southeast has a large service sector economy.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 AM

8,012 posts, read 10,589,775 times
You should consider your particular skill set and qualifications. Look on the job boards of the cities and see whether the majority of the jobs are or college degreed, high-tech jobs.

Many of the areas that are experiencing "come-backs" are also expensive to live and require that you have a decent job with a good salary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.