U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM

14,809 posts, read 17,244,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockyluvr View Post
I am looking for the same thing, JK. It seems to be tough to find. I have been to Wilmington, NC once. I was not impressed.

I would love to find a place with low humidity, on the water, plenty of outdoor activities, sunshine, little or no snow, and a reasonable cost of living. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.
Bullhead City might fit the bill. It is inexpensive, warm and dry and is very close to that big dam (whatever one it is, I can't recall now - please don't make me google).

I have often thought I would like to move there, myself (except if I ever move again, it will be to the ocean.)

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM

5,518 posts, read 6,208,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Bullhead City might fit the bill. It is inexpensive, warm and dry and is very close to that big dam (whatever one it is, I can't recall now - please don't make me google).

20yrsinBranson
Davis Dam.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 PM

4,810 posts, read 4,892,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Very high heat is fine - we live in Phoenix now - but don't like humidity.

Love the fishing, boating, beaches and feel of Galveston and parts of SW Florida, but the humidity is brutal in the summer. Fishing has become a late in life interest for us - inshore, near shore or freshwater.

The NW gets too cold and rainy for us.

We would choose San Diego except for the high cost of real estate and taxes.

No family issues to keep us anywhere specific.

Where would you go?
I would say plenty of Inland locations of California fit the factors you are looking for such as Redding, and Sacramento.
They both get warm/hot sunny weather with lots of sunshine and low humidity for a large chunk of the year.
They also have a reasonable cost of living and are affordable, especially compared to San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego.
They also have some great outdoor recreation opportunities close by such as fishing.

Plus, it seems like you are already interested in California since you said you wanted to live in San Diego if it wasn't so expensive. Redding and Sacramento are in California too but are affordable and have a reasonable cost of living in comparison to San Diego.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:10 PM

5,805 posts, read 5,309,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I would say plenty of Inland locations of California fit the factors you are looking for such as Redding, and Sacramento.
They both get warm/hot sunny weather with lots of sunshine and low humidity for a large chunk of the year.
They also have a reasonable cost of living and are affordable, especially compared to San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego.
They also have some great outdoor recreation opportunities close by such as fishing.

Plus, it seems like you are already interested in California since you said you wanted to live in San Diego if it wasn't so expensive. Redding and Sacramento are in California too but are affordable and have a reasonable cost of living in comparison to San Diego.
The cost of living and all the taxes really knocks California out of the water for most middle-class early retirees. At least, for this one.

Any other suggestions? North Carolina has some possibilities, as well as a reasonable tax structure. We researching NW Arkansas, but think that weather extremes may be a bit more than we want to deal with.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM

2,803 posts, read 2,549,179 times
Default I live in Phoenix, I know what you are looking for

Medford or Ashland Oregon. Sunny, and warm. TONS of fishing, no humidity to speak of, and very low cost of living, not only that but very beautiful. Natural and man made lakes all over the place. The fact that it is between two major mountain ranges means you miss most of the rain. Also close to the ocean.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 PM

338 posts, read 561,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Medford or Ashland Oregon. Sunny, and warm. TONS of fishing, no humidity to speak of, and very low cost of living, not only that but very beautiful. Natural and man made lakes all over the place. The fact that it is between two major mountain ranges means you miss most of the rain. Also close to the ocean.
These are good choices. My son lives up in Bend.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:06 PM

939 posts, read 1,149,742 times
JK, you started a great thread. I am looking for the same thing and I just reached the conclusion that I have to have two places one for winter and one for summer. Basically be a snowbird. I think some place up north next to one of the great lakes would be great for the summer, mild and lots of finishing and now prices are pretty low. When the winter starts, I would head south, Florida or AZ are not bad at this point. I live in NC and I see a lot of Floridians move here because of the heat. I moved to NC from CA because of the cost of living but the heat and humidity are killing me, my whole summer is indoors, so I am not sure if you will like that. Most of the East Coast and Midwest will me hot and humid in the summer and cold in the winter. I have been to Bend and it's a nice town but it's just tucked in the middle of the state, drove by Medford, didn't get to see it but to me I think it is a better option, closer to CA and closer to the ocean.

Last edited by happehart; 07-29-2011 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Computer problems

Old 07-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
But what about the winters? Isn't there snow up there?

Old 07-31-2011, 12:58 AM

2,803 posts, read 2,549,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
But what about the winters? Isn't there snow up there?
Rarely in Medford

Old 07-31-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
These are good choices. My son lives up in Bend.
JimMac, you and I seem to turn up in each others search for this fishing heaven quite regularly! We seem to be looking for very similar climates, costs of living, and the fishing opportunities. I think you are looking for a small town experience, whereas we would prefer a small or large city or suburb environment.

If I am correct, why did you eliminate this area of Oregon from your retirement options?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.