U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 09:30 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,496,515 times
Default Where to retire? warm weather, low humidity, great fishing, reasonable cost of living

Very high heat is fine - we live in Phoenix now - but don't like humidity.

Love the fishing, boating, beaches and feel of Galveston and parts of SW Florida, but the humidity is brutal in the summer. Fishing has become a late in life interest for us - inshore, near shore or freshwater.

The NW gets too cold and rainy for us.

We would choose San Diego except for the high cost of real estate and taxes.

No family issues to keep us anywhere specific.

Where would you go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 06:50 AM

11,449 posts, read 10,625,155 times
Check out Wilmington, NC. It has a mild four season climate, outdoor recreation galore and is quite affordable. Wilmington, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-19-2011, 02:16 PM

96 posts, read 78,481 times
I am looking for the same thing, JK. It seems to be tough to find. I have been to Wilmington, NC once. I was not impressed.

I would love to find a place with low humidity, on the water, plenty of outdoor activities, sunshine, little or no snow, and a reasonable cost of living. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 PM

29,031 posts, read 32,988,763 times
Maybe Yuma AZ, Las Cruces NM, Albuquerque NM......?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:29 PM

23,311 posts, read 14,934,101 times
Arizona has a number of lakes and streams, as well it’s close to Ut, Co, and NM for fishing in their states. Don’t forget it’s also close to San Diego CA for ocean fishing as well, and just south is Rocky Point in Mexico. The weather is warm and it’s a good retirement area for the most part.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Yuma AZ, Las Cruces NM, Albuquerque NM......?

Ummm, not to be rude - but water? Fishing? I think not.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Arizona has a number of lakes and streams, as well its close to Ut, Co, and NM for fishing in their states. Dont forget its also close to San Diego CA for ocean fishing as well, and just south is Rocky Point in Mexico. The weather is warm and its a good retirement area for the most part.
true - sort of. The places you call "close" are 4-6 hours drive. Frankly, that's not my definition of close.

I've lived in the Scottsdale, east valley area of AZ for 20+ years. Yes, we hace fishing. Urban lakes (man made and stocked in the winter), reservoirs like saguro, canyon, Bartlett, Roosevelt - they call them lakes, and they have fish. But the fishing is slow - at best Most of the really addicted anglers sneak onto the golf courses or other private lakes until they get chased off.

We like AZ for many reasons - but water, year round climate and fishing? Nope.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM

23,311 posts, read 14,934,101 times
^^ Sorry I missed your comment we live in Phoenix now.

How about the Lake of the Ozarks area in MO. The weather isnt that bad in the winter time.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 AM

29,031 posts, read 32,988,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Ummm, not to be rude - but water? Fishing? I think not.
Aren't there rivers that run right next to or through those cities?

Old 07-08-2011, 05:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,660 times
Default I know this is a little late but thought it would help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^ Sorry I missed your comment we live in Phoenix now.

How about the Lake of the Ozarks area in MO. The weather isnt that bad in the winter time.

I have lived at or within 30 miles of the Lake of the Ozarks my whole life and I would like to live somewhere like the original poster is looking for too. I hate to say...it is not here. We have terrible humidity in the summers and have had severe ice and snow storms that have left us without power for weeks. Every winter isn't terrible but some are awful. We have nice spring and fall weather, but it never seems to last more than a few weeks before heat or cold take over.

Now, the people are welcoming and friendly and the cost of living seems cheap compared to many other areas of the country. You can buy a pretty good size lake home right now for $250,000 and something smaller and out-of-date for quite a bit less, even under $200,000 with lake access. Off the lake, you can buy 3bed3bath for around $100-160s.

Last but not least, the "lake" is gross. They close the beaches a lot for bacteria and whatnot because the lake has a lot of sewage runoff. Most people that live here, won't swim in it, only boat.

We were considering North Carolina too. After deciding the SW was too hot, even tho dry. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.