Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times

Advertisements

Some of the best, most down to Earth people in the World I've met are from the country. People in the city think their **** don't stink for some reason. Why is that?

I'd like to see a city person do some of the things a country person does like plow a field or slop the hogs.

Watch the movie Son in Law with Pauly Shore if you ever want some good laughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 08:35 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
I was fishing at Larto Lake in Central Louisiana with my family this weekend. Ive always enjoyed the south in general but particularly the really laid back absolutely content lifestyles. You saw all these simple camps and homes along the lake and in nearby small towns, but you could feel the contentment and satisfaction that people had living there. They obviously dont care about the Joneses or the crazy rat race. I love the aura that these simple homes give. I think country folks just allow city folk to say what they want, because in the end, it doesnt actually matter one bit.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:07 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,377,931 times
Country folks tend to be very close minded, segregated, uneducated, unworldly, gullible, with very little true knowledge about political science but yet hold big opinions about *certain* politicians. Of course, these are gross generalizations and stereotypes, but they do bare some truth. My wife and inlaws are from the country. They are wonderful people but its hard to talk to my father-in-law about anything serious other than construction or guns. We are just from two different worlds.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:32 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Granted this is just my personal experience, but I've found that more often than not, it's the country folk putting down the city folk, much like this thread. Again, just my personal experience in "real life", not the internet, so take that for what it's worth.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
Country folks tend to be very close minded, segregated, uneducated, unworldly, gullible, with very little true knowledge about political science but yet hold big opinions about *certain* politicians. Of course, these are gross generalizations and stereotypes, but they do bare some truth. My wife and inlaws are from the country. They are wonderful people but its hard to talk to my father-in-law about anything serious other than construction or guns. We are just from two different worlds.
You paint with a wide brush, my friend.

I have a friend or two from a big city, but I also grew up over 120 miles away from the nearest city. So it's actually more of a fact of isolation than being "closed minded".

I'd say there are some city people that do put themselves on a pedestal above country people, but in the end I think it honestly works both ways.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 AM

430 posts, read 1,059,013 times
Quote:
very close minded, segregated, uneducated, unworldly, gullible, with very little true knowledge about political science but yet hold big opinions about *certain* politicians.
That statement can be said about both sides. And to an extent, true about both sides.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:26 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,712,998 times
Quote:
this describes the majority of city, suburban and country folks I have met. Singling out country people is not fair.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Some of the smartest people I've ever met were old timers with an 8th grade education. What they lack in book smarts they damn well made up for with common sense. And they weren't from a big city either.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:42 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Granted this is just my personal experience, but I've found that more often than not, it's the country folk putting down the city folk, much like this thread. Again, just my personal experience in "real life", not the internet, so take that for what it's worth.
Who's putting who down, Tennessee?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:44 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
I don't think that they do. My "country" relatives spend a lot of time complaining about "city" people, for that matter. In general, though, there seems to be a lot of cross-over. Almost all of our "country" relatives have spent time living in a bigger city, and/or have children who do. They might prefer to live in a small town or in a rural area, but that doesn't mean that they aren't familiar with cities or haven't visited them. Same thing for people living in a city. Besides, plenty of people living in cities actually come from small towns. I enjoy visiting the country, but prefer living in the city. That doesn't mean that I don't appreciate that others feel the opposite.

I think it is condescending to romanticize people living in smaller communities or on farms as simple folk. I think that attitude glosses over the very real problems facing many in rural communities these days; there are a lot of people out there, for example, who lead "simple" lives, but some of that simplicity is due to rural poverty. My own small-town relatives are doing well and don't fall into the poor category (and live in a relatively prosperous rural area, at least compared to other parts of the country), but they still have to string together multiple jobs to get by. It's tough for many of the younger adults to find the jobs to raise a family, so the population is aging as the kids move elsewhere in search of work. I love visiting, but their lives aren't really all that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.