Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 06:26 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Sorry if I come off offended. Perhaps I am a wee bit. You see, we St. Louisans who love our city are sometimes a little touchy. It comes from always having to be on the defensive about our STL, due to the crime rankings, headlines about population loss, etc. (We can certainly sympathize with Detroit!) When Anheuser-Busch was swallowed up by a European corporation, it took away something that was part of STL for ages, and that really smarted. When our airport lost its "hub status", that hurt too.

But--through all of this, one of the things that we could still boast proudly was "We're the Gateway to the West, home of the world-famous Gateway Arch!" And now comes a thread that explores stripping the Gateway City of its long-held moniker. What's next? Suggesting other cities where the Arch might look better?
To be honest, not many St. Louisans will find this thread very complimentary.
+1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 06:28 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Sorry if I come off offended. Perhaps I am a wee bit. You see, we St. Louisans who love our city are sometimes a little touchy. It comes from always having to be on the defensive about our STL, due to the crime rankings, headlines about population loss, etc. (We can certainly sympathize with Detroit!) When Anheuser-Busch was swallowed up by a European corporation, it took away something that was part of STL for ages, and that really smarted. When our airport lost its "hub status", that hurt too.

But--through all of this, one of the things that we could still boast proudly was "We're the Gateway to the West, home of the world-famous Gateway Arch!" And now comes a thread that explores stripping the Gateway City of its long-held moniker. What's next? Suggesting other cities where the Arch might look better?
You should be watching the game, that should make you feel better. Especially after that homer by Freese last night.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:32 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
You should be watching the game, that should make you feel better. Especially after that homer by Freese last night.
Freese just made his first run of the night!
Go Cards!

Old 10-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Has anyone mentioned Albany, NY yet? That's pretty much where New England ends and the West begins.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,606,006 times
Denver.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:01 PM

14,010 posts, read 14,995,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Has anyone mentioned Albany, NY yet? That's pretty much where New England ends and the West begins.
and NY, NY is where the south begins.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:10 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times
Quote:

But that's not what anyone is trying to do. Well actually there were a couple people, but that's definitely not the point of the thread. St. Louis will always be the Gateway to the West (as well as one of my favorite cities). If it helps, don't think of the thread as trying to relocate the Gateway to the West, but rather as trying to find the place where the American West really begins. That doesn't mean St. Louis isn't still the "official" city (even though, as I said, and as I think you could probably admit, there are a few too many very non-Western cities west of St. Louis), it just means there's another reference point. I really have nothing against St. Louis - like I said, it's one of my favorite cities (where else will you find anything like the City Museum?) - it's just an interesting thing to think about. Where is the dividing line between West and Midwest? It's kind of ambiguous. Do the Great Plains still count as Midwest? Can a state be half in and half out of the West? See, it's not about bashing St. Louis, it's just an interesting geography exercise.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:35 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Its funny you say that because Albany is where the Great Western Turnpike begins!

Seriously, it appears that the concept of "Gateway to The West" has changed over the years. I been thinking about this thread and while I picked St Louis, I can see totally why some people are saying Denver. Denver is centrally located between N and S and has no other larger cities around at the eastern edge of the Rockies to compete with it.

Btw, CONGRATS to St Louis for coming back this year and winning the World Series!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 AM

4,363 posts, read 4,559,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
But that's not what anyone is trying to do. Well actually there were a couple people, but that's definitely not the point of the thread. St. Louis will always be the Gateway to the West (as well as one of my favorite cities). If it helps, don't think of the thread as trying to relocate the Gateway to the West, but rather as trying to find the place where the American West really begins. That doesn't mean St. Louis isn't still the "official" city (even though, as I said, and as I think you could probably admit, there are a few too many very non-Western cities west of St. Louis), it just means there's another reference point. I really have nothing against St. Louis - like I said, it's one of my favorite cities (where else will you find anything like the City Museum?) - it's just an interesting thing to think about. Where is the dividing line between West and Midwest? It's kind of ambiguous. Do the Great Plains still count as Midwest? Can a state be half in and half out of the West? See, it's not about bashing St. Louis, it's just an interesting geography exercise.
I understand now, thanks for explaining.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:00 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,923,687 times
Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio. Where the "West" begins, or Western South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.