U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM

35 posts, read 42,462 times
Default best places for four seasons

Hi. My wife and I are looking to relocate from Memphis, TN. We are tired of the hot, humid weather and lack of four seasons. Here we have summer and winter. We would like to find a place with four seasons, but where the summers and winters aren't too hot/cold. We want the spring flowers and the beautiful fall foliage. When we picture Halloween for instance, we don't want it to be 65 and humid. We would like it to be crisp and have leaves all around us both in the trees and on the ground. We have been looking in places like Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, but aren't sure about the winters. We are also looking at Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, with an interest in Colorado as well. Any feedback on the weather in these areas would be appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:06 PM

14,023 posts, read 9,402,675 times
Tehachapi, CA would fit your list, but it may be too far west for you.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:31 PM

30,544 posts, read 35,411,756 times
Upstate NY can work, but it can snow pretty good during the winter. Perhaps the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, which gets less snow out of the major Upstate NY metros. Maybe the Harrisburg or Pittsburgh areas in PA too.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:11 AM

12,077 posts, read 11,665,063 times
Lately the weather pattern for much of Pennsylvania has not been what you're looking for in terms of fall weather. Summer lasts through September and into early October, and with Fall lasting just a few weeks where the leaves simply seem to die and fall off the trees versus the magazine like images one would associate with that season. Call it global warming or part of a new weather cycle, but I feel you might want to look further to the north for a place with an actual fall season. I think you're on the right track with either New England or the Upper Midwest.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:06 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,235,134 times
Atlanta truly has beautiful 4 seasons, Spring and Fall here are stunning, just enough winter, and Summer is Summer.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:18 PM

978 posts, read 1,293,407 times
really Atlanta,that one is funny. Why not try Western Massachusetts,we have distinct seasons with beautiful scenery,mountains and lakes and rivers with the ocean being an hour to two hours away. It is within driving distance to Boston , NYC and all the northern new england states. COL is a little higher than the south east but not to the levels of Boston or NYC.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:59 PM

35 posts, read 42,462 times
Default replies

Thanks for all the replies. Stillkit, cali is a little too far west, and not really our cup of tea, at least not to live there. It is beautiful though. Ckhthankgod upstate new york is a good thought. We are going to do a little research on it. Schools and crime are a concern, so we will have to look into that. We have heard mixed reviews on pitt and Harrisburg but we will continue to look at Pennsylvania. KYLE19125 if that is the case then new england might be our best bet. Brent6969 while we both love Atlanta, I don't think we could live there. Summers are worse than Memphis. Westernmass I actually love the idea of western mass. I have heard good things about the area and we would love being that close to so many different things. Thanks again for the feedback.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:20 PM

30,544 posts, read 35,411,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redelephant1703 View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Stillkit, cali is a little too far west, and not really our cup of tea, at least not to live there. It is beautiful though. Ckhthankgod upstate new york is a good thought. We are going to do a little research on it. Schools and crime are a concern, so we will have to look into that. We have heard mixed reviews on pitt and Harrisburg but we will continue to look at Pennsylvania. KYLE19125 if that is the case then new england might be our best bet. Brent6969 while we both love Atlanta, I don't think we could live there. Summers are worse than Memphis. Westernmass I actually love the idea of western mass. I have heard good things about the area and we would love being that close to so many different things. Thanks again for the feedback.
If you go with the Capital Region(aka-the Albany area), look into school districts like: Guilderland, Niskayuna, Bethlehem, South Colonie, East Greenbush, Saratoga Springs, Shenendehowa, Voorheesville, Schuylerville, Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake, Ballston Spa, Averill Park and if you like or don't mind an urban SD, Troy City SD and Lansingburgh SD, both in Troy have graduation rates above state and national averages.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,443,825 times
Kansas City is a very nice four season weather area. Also, it's a lot prettier than people think. Much hillier than Memphis. Probably not as hilly as nashville but close in some areas. Just to give you an idea. Also, it gets a lot more sun in the winter than some of those areas around the great lakes.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:24 PM

1,942 posts, read 2,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redelephant1703 View Post
Brent6969 while we both love Atlanta, I don't think we could live there. Summers are worse than Memphis.

OH NO WAY.....ATL is way more moderate due to elevation, sorry but you are wrong on this one, Memphis is a hell hole in the summer....MUCH HOTTER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.