Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 AM

3 posts, read 32,935 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow is Holy Good Friday.

Do any American's get off from work other than non-retail?

Please let me know if you get off (either paid/unpaid without requesting by your own) & where you work.

Thank you so much and Happy Easter!

PS! Good Friday is a holiday in most of Europe, Canada, South & Central America, Australia, New Zeeland, parts of Asia - but not in the U.S.

However, Good Friday is state holiday in 11 states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,108,256 times
The stock market's closed so I'd assume most in the financial sector have the day off. That includes me. And yes, I do get paid.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:44 AM

458 posts, read 1,222,827 times
Considering that Good Friday is not a national holiday, I would imagine that most people will be working.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:05 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bseynoo View Post
Tomorrow is Holy Good Friday.

Do any American's get off from work other than non-retail?

Please let me know if you get off (either paid/unpaid without requesting by your own) & where you work.

Thank you so much and Happy Easter!

PS! Good Friday is a holiday in most of Europe, Canada, South & Central America, Australia, New Zeeland, parts of Asia - but not in the U.S.

However, Good Friday is state holiday in 11 states.
My company in Atlanta is closed tomorrow. The owner of the company is Catholic.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:10 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Hi Riveredge!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
ok, but I'll bite.

NJ, do NOT have off. I am non retail.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,518,230 times
I got school off, kinda. Some schools close around here some don't, I'm in college and it's the same for them, some do some don't. Officially my school doesn't take the day off but almost none of the kids show up and the teachers know that so almost none of them show up and most cancel class. I have only two teachers who were weird enough to think someone might actually show up and not cancel, a guy from China and a Jew, go figure lol. I won't be there, and no one else will.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:29 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
In St Louis, (still a major Catholic town) Ameren, the big electric utility, all but non-essential folks have the day of with pay.
Other businesses are following suit.
In my hometown of Sainte Genevieve Missouri, an hour to the south of STL, and overwhelmingly Catholic, just about all businesses will be closed with pay.
Even those businesses that remain open will be closed from 12-3pm.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Even in the 1950s, Good Friday was not a school holiday. We went to school in the morning, and got off at noon, and didn't come back in the afternoon. Easter Monday was also a school holiday, returning to classes Tuesday. There was no Spring Break in those day, the extra day and a half for Easter was the only vacation in the spring.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
"
In the United States Good Friday is not a government holiday at the federal level; however individual states and municipalities may observe the holiday. Good Friday is a state holiday in Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Indiana, Kentucky (half day), Louisiana, New Jersey, North Carolina, North Dakota, Tennessee and Texas (optional). State and local government offices and courts are closed, as well as some banks and postal offices in these states.
Some private businesses and certain other institutions are closed on Good Friday. The financial market and stock market is closed on Good Friday. However, the vast majority of businesses are open either full or half day on Good Friday. The postal service operates, and banks regulated by the federal government do not close for Good Friday."
Good Friday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Along the same lines...Easter Monday:
"
Though not largely observed in the United States, the day remains informally observed in some areas such as the state of North Dakota, and some cities in New York, Michigan, and Indiana. Easter Monday was a public holiday in North Carolina from 1935 to 1987. Texas and Maryland schools often have two holidays on Good Friday and Easter Monday."
Easter Monday - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.