Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
No it won't.

Chicago doesn't want to be NYC - which smells like New Jersey - which smells like NYC - which smells like New Jersey and so on
Hahaha. And New York and New Jersey don't want to be Chicago regardless of what Chicago smells like.

No seriously, I think there is more to New Jersey than people realize. You are probably thinking of the smell of the oil refineries which are unfortunately right near Newark Airport and the NJ Turnpike. But far far more of New Jersey has the pine smell of the Pine Barrens or the fresh mountain air of the Jersey Highlands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:55 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Hahaha. And New York and New Jersey don't want to be Chicago regardless of what Chicago smells like.

No seriously, I think there is more to New Jersey than people realize. You are probably thinking of the smell of the oil refineries which are unfortunately right near Newark Airport and the NJ Turnpike. But far far more of New Jersey has the pine smell of the Pine Barrens or the fresh mountain air of the Jersey Highlands.
I won't lie. I was trollin'.

I actually enjoyed myself in some parts of NJ, particularly around the Rutgers campus. The guido stereotype does apply sometimes though, and I find that creepy.

NYC and Chicago are two different cities though. While often compared... Chicago is the poster child for hard-working Midwestern blue-collar pride while NYC is looked at as more of a national center of commerce and media. Two different types of cities with two different sets of industries with two different types of people, both with loads of diversity and infinite levels of awesome.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:22 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I won't lie. I was trollin'.

I actually enjoyed myself in some parts of NJ, particularly around the Rutgers campus. The guido stereotype does apply sometimes though, and I find that creepy.

NYC and Chicago are two different cities though. While often compared... Chicago is the poster child for hard-working Midwestern blue-collar pride while NYC is looked at as more of a national center of commerce and media. Two different types of cities with two different sets of industries with two different types of people, both with loads of diversity and infinite levels of awesome.
True- Seems to me more NYC residents are concerned about the population more than anyone else.

No one in hundred years will even care , were all going to be dead and gone.
So Chicago lost a little population and New York gained
Does it change our lives - no very little if at all.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:38 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
True- Seems to me more NYC residents are concerned about the population more than anyone else.
The topic of the thread is Brooklyn, not New York City as a whole. And I guarantee you that we don't obsess over population...which goes double for the population of Brooklyn vs. some other city in the United States.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:04 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,337,664 times
Most likely ..

Old 04-27-2011, 06:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
How can you just not 'buy' census results? Is it just an estimate-census discrepancy thing? What I can't get is how many people will blindly assume that an educated guess must be correct, but an actual count of the population that says something different, that's the one that must be wrong? It seems mad to me.
because the census is wrong, their estimations for California population and how they got those numbers are ridiculous. I trust the state Department of Finance's numbers over the census, especially because they didn't get their numbers from surveys and door-to-door interviews.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:56 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,490,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
bk will always be part of nyc. no type of wishful thinking will change that.
the ppl of bk are proud of their borough, just like any of us from any borough here but none of us want to split from nyc.

if anything we'd rather split from upstate...
Why? NY has some great cities upstate. I understand that NYC is the show pony that everyone comes to see, but I've met some of the best people from Buffalo, Rochester, and Syracuse. That's the salt of the earth up there. You need those folks to keep New York grounded and rugged.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattClyde View Post
because the census is wrong, their estimations for California population and how they got those numbers are ridiculous. I trust the state Department of Finance's numbers over the census, especially because they didn't get their numbers from surveys and door-to-door interviews.
I don't buy the numbers of the DOF or any state, or city agency when it comes to their estimates and numbers. Agencies like that have an interest in inflating the numbers somewhat because as everyone points out, there's something to gain for states and cities depending on your population numbers. That's why I don't trust them, not in NY, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, anywhere.

I do think local agencies are good for giving you an idea of how the population in an area actually is, minus some fluff. But I "trust" the census because they're (in theory) neutral and they count everywhere the same way with the same methods the best they can. I do buy that the Census could definitely undercount and overcount places because it's impossible to get a perfect count, but not by the huge differences some people are claiming. I still "trust" their numbers more because of who they are, if you want the "real" numbers then you probably have to look between the Census counts and the local agencies estimates, but I think taking the local numbers at face value is pretty stupid. There's an obvious bias.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:43 PM

28 posts, read 51,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
The topic of the thread is Brooklyn, not New York City as a whole. And I guarantee you that we don't obsess over population...which goes double for the population of Brooklyn vs. some other city in the United States.
Chicago is a deeply insecure place...of course when it gained population in the 2000 census, champaign corks were poppin'...now that it lost 200k people in the 2010 census, the census is flawed.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 PM

28 posts, read 51,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Chicago pop. = 2,695,598

Brooklyn pop. = 2,567,098

That's a difference of less than 130,000. Can Brooklyn close the gap by Census 2020?
With Chicago currently losing 20k+ people a year, there is no doubt Brooklyn will surpass it in population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.