Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I see this everyday and it saddens me to the core.
I recently sat through a church service.

A bunch of people were talking to the intangible creation of a bunch of sexist, racist drunks over 2000 years ago and picking apart the scripture said drunks wrote to suit their own agendas.

The Bible says you can't eat pork in the same cluster of rules that bans gay marriage. Ha! Read a book, look at the world, learn how it was created and how it works.

It may sadden you to the core, but it's called progress.

However I agree with you on some other points... Sprawl and the likes has gone way too far and has robbed so much character from this nation.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:40 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
Does that mean a melting pot or assimilation is "Monolithic"? Of course it eventually creates one culture but it is the combination of those many different cultures into one unique culture. I don't think that it's a bad thing either.

Melting Pot
-noun
2. a country, locality, or situation in which a blending of races, peoples, or cultures is taking place.

Multiculturalism
–noun 2. the preservation of different cultures or cultural identities within a unified society, as a state or nation.

Source: Dictionary.com

just because a group of people are "unified" under a flag or nation doesn't mean those cultures are really "coming together".
You completely miss my post the world isn’t black or white, or head or tails. If you pay attention the definition which you post don’t even conflict.

It’s one thing to tell people to learn a national language or something it’s other thing to tell people they can’t speak another language or something, that’s just plan out bigotry. Question can a Christian and Muslim be best friend? Yes. Does this mean a Christian has to go a mosque or a Muslim has to go to a Church? No, Is that segregation? No? Why? Because the Christian and Muslim can still get together and be friends or whatever. Your view is other most be like me in order for me to get alone with them, unless we have same view on everything were not coming together. Again blaming other groups for your own intolerance. You trying to push xenocentrism to keep your ethnocentrism and avoiding polycentrism altogether.

You know what’s the problem with don’t ask don’t tell? It push gays to assimilate like straights in order to please bigots. One more time blaming other groups for there own intolerance. Whether is race, sex orientation, gender or what ever it doesn’t matter, How can integration exist if diversity doesn’t?

Old 04-26-2011, 08:44 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
So if so many Swiss supposedly wish for foreigners to better "integrate", does that make them a successful multicultural society? Also, if Switzerland was "multicultural", how would you "integrate"? Wouldn't you already be integrated by default if you were in a multicultural society?
Do you want to try to re-phrase that in proper English? This 2006 study on xenophobia you unearthed doesn't prove whatever it is I think you're trying to say. I'd suggest you re-read it.

I stand my my post: Switzerland, a muti-cultural society (according to your supplied definition below*) in which historically French, German and Italian peoples come together as a functioning nation yet retain their cultural identities, is one of the most economically successful countries on earth. (Reference: From the CIA World Factbook: "Switzerland is a peaceful, prosperous, and modern market economy with low unemployment, a highly skilled labor force, and a per capita GDP among the highest in the world." https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/sz.html)

Quote:
Multiculturalism
–noun 2. the preservation of different cultures or cultural identities within a unified society, as a state or nation.
Have you ever been to Switzerland? I am lucky enough to have been there twice, spending time in each of the three language regions. They are distinctly different and yet somehow Swiss. Multi-cultural societies are endlessly fascinating. I also had a Frech-Swiss boss boss for three years from whom I learn a lot about the country. She contends this multi-culturalism is one of the keys to her country's success.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
You completely miss my post the world isn’t black or white, or head or tails. If you pay attention the definition which you post don’t even conflict.
There's a lack of logic to many of this person's postings. I wouldn't try to figure it out because the posts twist and turn and when confronted with facts that bring this illogic to light, the next posts ignore those facts or the arguments simply change. Just make your point, and you'll see that many people agree with you.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
I honestly don't know where to start.

I know this might sound bad but when you say "socially conservative, Christian dominated society". . .It makes me happy that I claim no religion. It's not that I don't believe there's a God but it's people like you, who have a "religion" and judge others as if you're God. You are sick and you need help. It's one thing to have an opinion, diversity may not be your thing. But when you slander the thought and say,

It shows your ignorance. It shows what you've been taught in your "religion". I'm sure God agrees with you.

Please stay in Indiana. Never leave.

We do have one thing in common though, currently we can't stand the U.S.

Would you like to why I can't stand it? In short it's because of people like you.

I'll elaborate a little for your immature brain (regardless if you're over 30). I don't like it when people discriminate, i.e. race, sexual preference etc. I can't stand prejudiced people. I definitely dislike people who can't mind there own business. I can't stand bullies. My list can honestly go on for ages.

Lol at you "hating". . . anything. I thought in your bible it says it's wrong to hate?

If I offended any other Christians or Religious people, just know that is not my intentions.
It does say that in the Bible. Jesus teaches not to hate anyone or judge people. My view is this. The faith is good. I love my faith. I won't admit to any perfection. No one is perfect. This means me too. I sin too. There are many good people who adhere to Jesus' teachings regarding true unconditional love and not judging people. However, the ones who do judge, who do hate, they are the most vocal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.