U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 PM

126 posts, read 444,000 times

Advertisements

Which cities have the best independent coffee shop scenes (lots and lots of choices)? Portland and Seattle are obvious, but what about elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:52 PM

3,773 posts, read 6,932,399 times
I live in Jacksonville,Florida where the Maxwell House plant is located ,thats definitely a big coffee shop.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:44 AM

45 posts, read 160,296 times
Yikes! Maxwell House? That's not exactly coffee, is it? I mean why not throw in Folders and Sanka as well.

I think the two biggies were mentioned- Portland and Seattle, and just because Seattle is home to Starbucks has nothing to do with the fact that these two cities contain literaly hundreds of other coffee shops to choose from.

It's probably a little on the ridiculous side, but you really can't drive more than a few blocks without passing a drive-up coffee place. That's true for most places in Oregon and Washington. A few years ago we drove down to the Grand Canyon and were surprised that we couldn't find any drive-up coffee places in Nevada, Utah, or Northern Arizona. We had to get our coffee every morning from a gas station. I know, boo-hoo, but when you're used to getting coffee anywhere at any time, it's a little strange.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:10 AM

5,467 posts, read 14,272,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elainebenes View Post
It's probably a little on the ridiculous side, but you really can't drive more than a few blocks without passing a drive-up coffee place. That's true for most places in Oregon and Washington. A few years ago we drove down to the Grand Canyon and were surprised that we couldn't find any drive-up coffee places in Nevada, Utah, or Northern Arizona. We had to get our coffee every morning from a gas station. I know, boo-hoo, but when you're used to getting coffee anywhere at any time, it's a little strange.
Not sure about northern Arizona, but Phoenix, and Tempe in particular has a surprising amount of independent coffee shops. There's actually a whole website called the Arizona Coffee Podcast that reviews these joints. Not saying Phoenix is coffee mecca, but there are actually a lot of choices out there.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 AM

19,487 posts, read 50,807,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Not saying Phoenix is coffee mecca, but there are actually a lot of choices out there.
Nothing like sippin coffee on a 115 degree day. That'd be like eating ice cream in a blizzard. lol

Im gonna go with Chicagoland area. Between Dunkin Donuts, Caribou, LaVazza, Starbucks, etc, etc, theres more than enough coffee places to satisfy anyone. Most have drive-thrus, which are disgustingly packed every morning with soccer moms in Audi's and BMWs. I guess when you buy a Beemer or a Benz you get a free lifetime coffee card to Starbucks.

I avoid those joints like the plague, biggest buncha preppies you ever did see hang out at those places, strangely. If I need coffee, I LOVE the new McDonalds iced coffee. Its cheap, its fast, and I get to avoid all the fakes that cram their Lacoste-wearin butts into Starbucks.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 AM

4,774 posts, read 9,708,587 times
There are lots of independent places in New York. Granted there is a starbucks on pretty much every corner in Midtown, the independent coffee shops and tea houses are in most of the chic residential neighborhoods and around the universities. If you ask me, a 75-cent cup of coffee from the on-street bagel carts is fine enough.

But I'd say the Pacific Northwest is most well known for its coffee distributors, although the rest of the nation is just as addicted to the stuff.

Last edited by lammius; 08-01-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 08-01-2007, 12:56 PM

5,231 posts, read 9,502,281 times
Lots of independent coffee shops in St. Paul and Minneapolis (cities--suburbs are mostly Starbucks/Caribou/Dunn Bros. chains) Within a 2 mile radius of our house in St Paul there are 10 independent coffee shops (and lots of chains which we ignore).

Old 08-01-2007, 02:24 PM

25,404 posts, read 31,843,072 times
Philadelphia has Wawa, a convenience store where you can stand in front of more than a dozen pots of coffee of different flavors, and make your own blend.

This morning I blended hazelnut decaf with french vanilla. Yummy.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:40 PM

23 posts, read 100,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Philadelphia has Wawa, a convenience store where you can stand in front of more than a dozen pots of coffee of different flavors, and make your own blend.

This morning I blended hazelnut decaf with french vanilla. Yummy.
haha, wa squared is the best!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 PM

11,682 posts, read 21,273,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeeboy View Post
haha, wa squared is the best!!!
i totally agree, wawa rocks. love their shorties!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.