Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 10:38 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times

Advertisements

When I think Mid Atlantic I've always thought of the coastal towns of New Jersey down to Chesapeake Bay as the epicenter of it. Sure NYC is on the northern portion of it, and NoVa is on the southern portion of it... but I definitely wouldn't call NYC part of New England either. Picking between the two, I'd pick Mid Atlantic. NYC if anything could just be it's own region, like Ile de France.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 01:35 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
In contrast, Baltimoreans and Washingtonians label themselves as "Mid-Atlantic" to indicate they're not southern. But at the same time, there's a recognition that they're not northern either. They view themselves as a transitional region that's sandwiched in between the North and South, hence why the "Mid-Atlantic" label is more prominent there. That's why I've always associated the Mid-Atlantic with DC and Baltimore. They seem to claim this as their region--to the exclusion of all other regions--rather than a subregion.
That's been my perception as well--areas that were more historically aligned with the South and still have a few traces of that historical Southern influence, but are now more culturally, politically, etc. aligned with the Northeast. A true mix of both regions, not purely one or the other.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,212,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisvishr0 View Post
There aren't many rural blacks in the DC area (in the exurbs of DC in MD, at least). No one here says Y'all (except the people who have come from the south). Most people in the DC area (especially in the MD suburbs) are not baptist (check this map: File:Church or synagogue attendance by state GFDL.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). DC does not have a slow pace of life. Living in the DC area, I had never had sweet tea in my entire life until my trip to New Orleans last year. Here, it's "iced" tea like in the rest of the Northeast. There is plenty of attitude in DC. And no one talks about religion too much. I agree that the DC area isn't exactly "Northern" or "Northeastern" but it's definitely not "Lower Mid-Atlantic" in your definition of it. I'd shift the definition of the Lower Mid-Atlantic down to below Fredericksburg, VA. That's when the Tidewater culture starts to kick in.

EDIT: I posted the wrong map, sorry. This is the one I was referring to: File:Religions of the US.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
+1 Agreed.

Old 09-15-2013, 06:19 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
Hmm... How about from VA Beach to NYC... VA Beach and NYC are the border areas where you are entering a different region? I.E. "the south" and "new england" going into CT.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times
Quote:
There aren't many rural blacks in the DC area (in the exurbs of DC in MD, at least).
I don't think he was talking about the exurbs of Maryland. He was talking more or less about Southern MD, the Eastern Shore and Southern DE. Besides, I don't see rural blacks in the exurbs of Atlanta or Charlotte either.

Quote:
No one here says Y'all (except the people who have come from the south)
Yes they do. Some people say "y'all" and some people say "you guys." It really depends on where they're from. It's hard to say it's only "the people who have come from the south" because people in DC come from everywhere. One of my friends went to Richard Montgomery and he alternates between "y'all" and "you guys" all the time. And he's Asian. Never do you hear "youse" in the DC area.

Quote:
The people in the DC area (especially in the MD suburbs) are not baptist (check this map: File:Church or synagogue attendance by state GFDL.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ).
I already did a post on this in a different thread. Nearly half of the Catholics in Maryland are of Hispanic or Filipino descent. If we just look at white Catholics vis-a-vis white Baptists, there are more of the latter. If you excluded Hispanics and Filipinos in Philadelphia, New York or Boston, there would still be more white Catholics than Baptists. And by a very wide margin.

Quote:
DC does not have a slow pace of life.
I believe he said "slower."

Quote:
There is plenty of attitude in DC.
Not imho. People in DC are rather formal and polite for the most part (even if it's phony). You don't get too many aggressive, confrontational, loud-mouthed characters like
Angel Garcia or Frank Rizzo. And you don't see a relentless, remorseless media and sensationalist tabloids that publish headline like this.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:17 PM

Here is classic Philadelphia "attytood" btw. I want to put Angel Garcia and Roger Mayweather in a room together. That would be far more entertaining than anything we'd see in a ring between Danny and Money Mayweather. He's now at the top of my list for favorite Philadelphians. He still ranks below Mike Tyson, however, who I consider to be the funniest man who ever lived.

Angel Garcia Goes Off On Lucas Matthysse Says He Is A Bum - EsNews Boxing - YouTube

Old 09-15-2013, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I wonder if Puerto Ricans are the largest Hispanic ethnic group in Baltimore like it is in New York City, Philadelphia and Boston.
Well, all we have to do is look it up. Here are the stats for Baltimore City:

Central American: 8,437
Mexican: 7,786
Puerto Rican: 3,120

Allentown, PA, which has about 1/6 of Baltimore's population, has 29,822 Puerto Ricans alone. That's larger than the total number of Hispanics in Baltimore City and nearly as many Hispanics as all of Baltimore County.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:24 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times
For me, the northeast begins north of Trenton and east of the Delaware River. South of Trenton and west of the Delaware River is Mid-Atlantic. Philly and the surround areas have much more in common with DC, Delaware, and Maryland. In North Jersey and NYC, people are just different. The similarities between Philadelphians and New Yorkers are way overstated. I know many people from Philadelphia as much of my extended family grew up there, and they are nothing like New Yorkers. Blame the media for always portraying Philadelphia and New York as if they were the same. The changes in accent and attitude are most drastic between Philadelphia and New York, while there is less significant difference in this as you go from Philly to DC. When my cousin, from Philadelphia, moved to New York City, a bit deal was made about how different people there are and how much of an adjustment it would be--the attitudes, accents, etc. Certainly not the same as if he'd just moved to Baltimore or DC.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
For me, the northeast begins north of Trenton and east of the Delaware River.
For me, the Northeast begins just north of Quebec City and west of the St. Lawrence River.

Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I agree with this for the most part. However, I feel that there are some subregions of the country that people identify with as strongly as they do their "region." New England is the most obvious example. Someone in Boston may actually identify with New England over the Northeast. The Pacific Northwest, I suppose, would be another. But the "Mid-Atlantic" simply does not have as strong an identity (at least outside of NoVA/DC/MD). The "Northeast" certainly takes precedence in NYC and Philly. That's usually the first response you'll get from people living in these cities. I would say "East Coast" probably comes in second.

In contrast, Baltimoreans and Washingtonians label themselves as "Mid-Atlantic" to indicate they're not southern. But at the same time, there's a recognition that they're not northern either. They view themselves as a transitional region that's sandwiched in between the North and South, hence why the "Mid-Atlantic" label is more prominent there. That's why I've always associated the Mid-Atlantic with DC and Baltimore. They seem to claim this as their region--to the exclusion of all other regions--rather than a subregion.

As you said, New York and Pennsylvania were the "Middle Colonies" during colonial times, but I'm not sure if too many people really group states that way anymore.
I agree with the bolded - personally I would say Northeast before Mid Atlantic - but to me it doesnt have to be an either or and I still see the Northeast as the combo of the Mid Atlantic and New England
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.