Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 01:41 PM

31,943 posts, read 34,484,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Nope. Not this either. I'm talking about something that could actually get played on the Freestyle hour on Hot 97 (NYC).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 01:43 PM

10,086 posts, read 9,880,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
^^Uh, no. I'm talking about something like this. Jadakiss is not gonna flow over that beat. Be serious, man.

Cassidy & Jadakiss - Can I Talk To You - YouTube
LOL. Jada worked for the same dude that Los is signed to now, so of course he would. Los sounds more like Gucci mane?? Lol..OK. Maybe we hear things differently.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
LOL. Jada worked for the same dude that Los is signed to now, so of course he would. Los sounds more like Gucci mane?? Lol..OK. Maybe we hear things differently.
That doesn't mean anything. Ness (from Philly) and Choppa (New Orleans) were both signed by Bad Boy. Yet they have two completely different styles.

Soooo...I'm still waiting on that Baltimore/Swizz Beats/Just Blaze/Jay-Z collaboration. Where's it at?

Old 09-20-2013, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Nope. Not this either. I'm talking about something that could actually get played on the Freestyle hour on Hot 97 (NYC).
Do you know how incredibly irrelevant HOT97 right now?? They're Playing more Southern Artist anyway. MR Cee crying about being caught with a tranny is the only thing HOT 97 is known for at this point.

Old 09-20-2013, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Do you know how incredibly irrelevant HOT97 right now?? They're Playing more Southern Artist anyway. MR Cee crying about being caught with a tranny is the only thing HOT 97 is known for at this point.
I'm talking about the freestyle hour. That's the one hour the DJ gets to ditch the commercial garbage and play what he wants.

So again, who are these DC/Baltimore artists that are moving mixtapes on 125th Street? On Broad and Erie? On Blue Hill Ave?

Old 09-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
That doesn't mean anything. Ness (from Philly) and Choppa (New Orleans) were both signed by Bad Boy. Yet they have two completely different styles.

Soooo...I'm still waiting on that Baltimore/Swizz Beats/Just Blaze/Jay-Z collaboration. Where's it at?
Soooo... Baltimore has to sound just like NYC or else they're southern? Makes no sense at all, but it's whatever. We'll disagree and leave it at that.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Soooo... Baltimore has to sound just like NYC or else they're southern? Makes no sense at all, but it's whatever. We'll disagree and leave it at that.
Nooooo.....Baltimore just doesn't make anything "northern." And artists like Comp could be easily mistaken for someone from Birmingham (that's where my wife thought he was from).

Beanie Sigel, Jadakiss, Peedi Krakk, Styles P, Dipset, Benzino, etc. all make music that's characteristically northern (brazen, aggressive and abrasive over hard ass beats). Baltimore doesn't have that sound. Believe me, a song like "Whole Lat" is not going to come out of Philadelphia, NYC or Boston no matter how ubiquitous the "Down South" sound becomes.

WTF does "Whole Lat" even mean? You speak Southern/Bawlmerese, right?

Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
It's bad enough you have to bring up rappers nobody's even heard of. Los doesn't even have an album and just got signed last year.

When Beans dropped "the Reason" and when Free dropped "Philadelphia Freeway" under the Roc-A-Fella label, what came out of Baltimore during that time? Comp's "Whole Lat" and B. Rich is what. And Comp is clearly more well known than Los (who?) since he's been in the B-more rap game for a minute. He even has a Wiki page (the fact "Los" doesn't have one speaks volumes).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comp_(rapper)

Old 09-20-2013, 02:26 PM

799 posts, read 1,422,403 times
Wiki's definition of east coast hip hop is from VA Beach and up, rappers like Pusha-t,Wale,Fat Trel and Mad Skillz if you know who he is lol are not southern type rappers and they all are from Virginia and D.C., i don't think hip hop is a good way to label a place but i see where you're coming from.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
Wiki's definition of east coast hip hop is from VA Beach and up, rappers like Pusha-t,Wale,Fat Trel and Mad Skillz if you know who he is lol are not southern type rappers and they all are from Virginia and D.C., i don't think hip hop is a good way to label a place but i see where you're coming from.
The Wiki page was created by one person. Hardly authoritative. And no, I do not know who most of these no-name rappers are (except for Wale and Pusha-T).

Onyx, DMX, Eve, Styles P, Jay-Z, Nas, Beanie Sigel, Jadakiss, Fabolous, N.O.R.E. and Method Man are that "Up North" ish. Wale is not. Wale's sound (and the DC hip hop sound in general) has always been on the southern side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.