U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:13 AM

786 posts, read 1,604,829 times

Advertisements

That's basically it. Whenever I read crime stats which are only at city level, and they are pretty high, I tend to almost write off the whole city, but really, that's stupid. I know most cities have certain places you probably don't wanna go and lots of areas which are perfectly safe and I'd like to know which cities are mostly safe.

Often I read people who want to defend their cities (which are perceived as dangerous) saying 'x, x and x are safe neighbourhoods', but that doesn't help if the majority of the city IS dangerous. I want to be able to move around a city and not be wary of most areas.

If anyone knows any cities which are like this and the areas of that city which are the dangerous ones, that'd be swell. I want stuff based on stats only. Anecdotal evidence isn't really helpful unless it's alongside stats based info

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 AM

976 posts, read 1,883,544 times
st. louis, easily. the majority of the city is perfectly fine, save for a few terrible neighborhoods.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:31 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,035,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
st. louis, easily. the majority of the city is perfectly fine, save for a few terrible neighborhoods.
As much as I dislike St. Louis, This is true.
Saint Louis is about as safe as any city gets.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:50 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,060,310 times
Although Boston's murder rate is already quite low, it could easily be single digits per year if it weren't for a few blocks.

Really, same will be true for just about any US city.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM

56,758 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Although Boston's murder rate is already quite low, it could easily be single digits per year if it weren't for a few blocks.

Really, same will be true for just about any US city.
Especially in the NE and MW, where most of the serious crime is relegated to select urban neighborhoods.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:19 AM

Ok, thanx people, but can you tell me which neighbourhoods are the bad ones in these cities?

Old 04-28-2011, 10:54 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,130,042 times
As far as San Francisco goes, look at this map of the 200 or so murders to occur in SF in 2007 and 2008:

the worst parts of the city obviously are where you see the largest concentrations of murders (red markers = murders, black = double murders and one triple murder, blue = justified homicides). These areas would be: the tenderloin, Fillmore, much of the Mission, part of Potrero Hill, parts of SOMA, Lakeview, Visitacion Valley, and the excelsior, and part of Bernal Heights. And the worst parts of those areas are the public housing projects (except for those areas with no projects, like the Tenderloin, Excelsior, and Lakeview which only has one mini-project), and in some cases the only truly bad part(s) in a hood are the projects and immediate surroundings themselves (such as in the Fillmore, Bernal Heights, Potrero Hill).

Old 04-28-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
As far as San Francisco goes, look at this map of the 200 or so murders to occur in SF in 2007 and 2008:

the worst parts of the city obviously are where you see the largest concentrations of murders (red markers = murders, black = double murders and one triple murder, blue = justified homicides). These areas would be: the tenderloin, Fillmore, much of the Mission, part of Potrero Hill, parts of SOMA, Lakeview, Visitacion Valley, and the excelsior, and part of Bernal Heights. And the worst parts of those areas are the public housing projects (except for those areas with no projects, like the Tenderloin, Excelsior, and Lakeview which only has one mini-project), and in some cases the only truly bad part(s) in a hood are the projects and immediate surroundings themselves (such as in the Fillmore, Bernal Heights, Potrero Hill).
That's kind of annoying. The Downtown would not be an area I'd wanna avoid.

What cities have most of the serious crime in residential or warehouse districts?

Old 04-28-2011, 11:19 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,060,310 times
The majority of Boston's homicides accur in neighborhoods off Blue Hill Ave in Dorchester and Mattapan. They're residential neighborhoods ~5 miles south of downtown. As a tourist, you'd have no reason to be down that way. Infact I've lived here my entire life, and have only been down that way once.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
The majority of Boston's homicides accur in neighborhoods off Blue Hill Ave in Dorchester and Mattapan. They're residential neighborhoods ~5 miles south of downtown. As a tourist, you'd have no reason to be down that way. Infact I've lived here my entire life, and have only been down that way once.
That is the kinda news I was looking for. Thanx very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or