Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 17,281 times

Advertisements

I am currently on the search for a new place to live. My long time boyfriend and I are looking for a place to start fresh. I currently live in Basehor, KS but also spend part of my time in Eureka, CA (where he lives). However, finding a place to live isn't so easy!

We are both 25 years old. I have a disability, an auto-immune disease and cold weather just does not end up well for me. I enjoy Kansas in the spring, summer and early fall however the winters kill me. In Eureka the winters are mild but the summers just don't get warm (which the heat and warmth and sunshine always makes my body feel better). Also, the cost of living is very high in Eureka.. in Kansas the cost of living here is very affordable.

I grew up in southern Scottsdale, AZ and found the cost of living to probably be relatively moderate down the line - not at the high end of the list and not low either. The winters there are perfect and the summers are tolerable. I am considering looking back to central AZ as an option but want to give my boyfriend other options as well! Southern California seems to meet my criteria in weather and entertainment in the city but from everything I can tell the cost of living is through the roof high. I am unsure on details of states like Florida, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada.. or if there are other states that I just don't know a lot about that don't have snow and extreme cold weather in the winters but also do warm up in the spring and summer time.

I have seen forum threads with great recommendations but not one that's looking for what I am! Please give me some options of cities with mild winters, warm summers, a good cost of living and a city that's not TOO small that still has things to do.

What Is Important to me:
Weather: Nice, warm weather all year
Good Neighborhood: Someplace safe, clean, pleasant to look at - nothing extremely run down
Entertainment: Access to movie theaters, malls, parks, restaurants etc that a couple in their mid twenties could do and meet others.
Cost of living: A moderate medium to low cost of living that is affordable in renting, groceries, utilities etc
Healthcare: Along with access to entertainment doctors office's and a nice hospital has to be local

I hope in this thread I've given an idea of what I'm looking for, thank's for the time and help!

Thanks for any help you all can offer!

Last edited by Aislenn; 05-02-2011 at 01:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 PM

92,017 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Albuquerque was the first place that came to mind. Perhaps San Antonio or Austin in TX. Maybe even Corpus Christi or El Paso too. What about Las Cruces or Tucson?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:38 PM

177 posts, read 403,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aislenn View Post
I am currently on the search for a new place to live. My long time boyfriend and I are looking for a place to start fresh. I currently live in Basehor, KS but also spend part of my time in Eureka, CA (where he lives). However, finding a place to live isn't so easy!

We are both 25 years old. I have a disability, an auto-immune disease and cold weather just does not end up well for me. I enjoy Kansas in the spring, summer and early fall however the winters kill me. In Eureka the winters are mild but the summers just don't get warm (which the heat and warmth and sunshine always makes my body feel better). Also, the cost of living is very high in Eureka.. in Kansas the cost of living here is very affordable.

I grew up in southern Scottsdale, AZ and found the cost of living to probably be relatively moderate down the line - not at the high end of the list and not low either. The winters there are perfect and the summers are tolerable. I am considering looking back to central AZ as an option but want to give my boyfriend other options as well! Southern California seems to meet my criteria in weather and entertainment in the city but from everything I can tell the cost of living is through the roof high. I am unsure on details of states like Florida, New Mexico, Texas, Nevada.. or if there are other states that I just don't know a lot about that don't have snow and extreme cold weather in the winters but also do warm up in the spring and summer time.

I have seen forum threads with great recommendations but not one that's looking for what I am! Please give me some options of cities with mild winters, warm summers, a good cost of living and a city that's not TOO small that still has things to do.

What Is Important to me:
Good Neighborhood: Someplace safe, clean, pleasant to look at - nothing extremely run down
Entertainment: Access to movie theaters, malls, parks, restaurants etc that a couple in their mid twenties could do and meet others.
Cost of living: A moderate medium to low cost of living that is affordable in renting, groceries, utilities etc
Healthcare: Along with access to entertainment doctors office's and a nice hospital has to be local

I hope in this thread I've given an idea of what I'm looking for, thank's for the time and help!

Look into Florida areas like the Lauderdale, West Palm, Vero Beach, and Orlando.

The rent average for a 1bedroom in Lauderdale runs $850, West Palm $770, Vero $600, Orlando $700. I don't know bout the hospitals in Vero or Orlando but the ones in but, Broward General & St Marys are pretty good with the services & their patients. Broward has Sawgrass MIlls Mall, Broward Mall, Coral Square Mall, The Swap Shop, Las Olas Shops, The Festival Flea Market Mall, Pembroke Lakes, and Galleria Mall. Palm Beach has Boca Towne Center, Wellington Mall, Gardens Mall, Boynton Beach Mall(this is my fav because Sonics is right behind it)and City Place is downtown West Palm. There are also numerous restaurants & eateries you can choose from. For groceries shopping just head to Club Walmart or Target. PLEASE avoid Kmart at all costs. Publix has a great selection of food but, are expensive but, the customer service is exceptional. Cable/Internet we have Comcast/U-Verse/Direct-TV/Dish. Round a few days before Thanksgiving there will be some cool breeze and then right after the temperature drops to about 65 and right before Christmas it drops to 45-50 then February it start to get hot but during the mornings expect 68-75 degree temperature by midday ya looking at 80 degrees. Hope this helped some good luck!

Old 05-02-2011, 04:59 PM

26,825 posts, read 43,300,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aislenn View Post

What Is Important to me:

Check out beautiful Merritt Island, Florida. The weather is great year-round and without the freezes that briefly strike the interior of the state typically.
The town is in the middle of desirable Brevard County on the Atlantic Coast just one hour from Orlando and minutes to the beaches. It's safe and clean with easy access to malls, theaters, restaurants and two hospitals. The cost of living is fairly low as well. It has the younger population you're looking for, 1/4 of the population is single and under 45.

Merritt Island, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Merritt Square Mall :: 777 E. Merritt Island Cswy, FL, 32952 :: (321) 452-3270
Cobb Theatres / Merritt Square 16 / Merritt Island FL / 32952
Merritt Island Restaurants
Better Care for a Better Community - Wuesthoff Health System

Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM

2 posts, read 17,281 times
Thanks for all the city recommendations so far, It'll be great to have a lot of options to sort through. It's really nice to get opinions from people in the area with what costs and accessibility and weather is like!

I am adding the cities listed in replies so far and looking those up this evening.. I also have on a list of cities I have already looked up.. Scottsdale, AZ - Tempe, AZ - Mesa, AZ - Wilmington, NC - Jacksonville, FL - Tampa, FL - Palm Coast, FL.

Keep any suggestions coming, I more than welcome them!

Guccidiva and Kyle I really appreciate the descriptiveness of your recommendations - it gives me a great view of the area's! Also it's encouraging to see the rent ranges of $600 to $700 in Florida, I had worried that the cost of living would be much higher there.

Ckhthankgod - Tuscon, AZ from what I recall doesn't 'have quite as much as the Phoenix Valley area and rent isn't really much cheaper, also if I remember it got warmer in the summers so I didn't include that on my list. I'll look up the other cities you mentioned.

Old 08-28-2015, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,806 times
I currently live in San Diego - (paradise on the mainland) - the weather is mild and wonderful and the city is beautiful, but the cost of living is high. I've lived in Austin, New Orleans, Jacksonville, NC., spent time in Florida and have been to many other places in the U.S. and around the world. As far as places with low costs of living go, I've never found one that didn't have a serious trade off - usually the weather or some other unpleasantness. For example, Austin has hot summers that last for 6 months, (high 90s to over 100 degrees), and terrible allergy conditions during Dec, Jan and Feb.
New Orleans has serious humidity during several months of summer. Jacksonville has high humidity and rain, rain, rain.
Florida has the humidity, but also is F-L-A-T, nothing to look at, and more rain. People in this forum have mentioned places in Arizona. Well, except for Flagstaff, Arizona is hell in summer.
I didn't mean for this post to be negative. But the reality is, if you want a place with wonderfully pleasant weather most of the year, you'll have to pay for it. I know, I've been seeking the great weather, low cost of living for a long time. Haven't found it yet. At least not in the U.S.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:06 PM

707 posts, read 740,878 times
I second Albuquerque and El Paso. Albuquerque is a mile high, so if you are turned of by bitter, but not super snowy, winters, El Paso is the warmer of the two, sometimes giving even phoenix a run for its cacti.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:32 PM

356 posts, read 698,406 times
Florida is probably your best bet for warm weather and low COL, if you can stand the humidity. Arizona is also a good option - but can your boyfriend take the summer heat after living in Eureka? I have family outside of Phoenix and Tucson and can't bear to visit them in the summer.

Have you considered Sacramento? Summers are warm and dry but not anywhere near as oppressive as Arizona, and winters are mild and snow-free. Decent entertainment, great restaurants, lots of outdoor activities, excellent health care options. You're also not terribly far from Eureka (5 hours or so). Cost of living is fairly low for California, but higher than Kansas, Arizona or Florida. What is your budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.