Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:55 PM

157 posts, read 339,875 times

Advertisements

Hello, What do you think is a good state to live where:

There is low crime
good school
safe neighbors
smaller town/ city feel
good jobs (teaching)
and lots of snow, or at least average amount

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 12:37 AM

154 posts, read 705,202 times
i don't know about teaching jobs, but reading the rest of it, it seems like syracuse would be a good fit for you!

Old 06-28-2007, 10:08 AM

774 posts, read 1,849,597 times
Default Great Question

Great question Kate.

I wish you'd have made it a more general question so that we could read what others thought overall. (Tons of people dislike snow. I like it ... but by far, not everyone.)

But you didn't include one of the biggest questions that troubles the American soul? What about Race? And what about Class?

Old 06-28-2007, 03:45 PM

49 posts, read 184,444 times
Default Best place?

Northern Wisconsin is what you're looking for. Specifically North of Highway 29.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:29 PM

157 posts, read 339,875 times
how is it in wisconsin, what is it like?

Old 06-28-2007, 07:33 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,581,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerinaver View Post
Hello, What do you think is a good state to live where:

There is low crime
good school
safe neighbors
smaller town/ city feel
good jobs (teaching)
and lots of snow, or at least average amount

thanks.
Northwestern NJ!!!! Pick yourself up off the floor. It's extremely safe, excellent schools, wonderful friendly people, small town feel (my particular town has about 17K pop, and I swear sometimes I feel I know all of them -we also made a list of 100 safest towns in the US), great teaching oppys where you can make close to 6 figures, and we get more snow than NYC (i'd say on average close to twice as much). I liken this area to more New England-y than NY/NJ metro.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:24 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,531,231 times
/\ That part of N. Jersey is gourgeous. Alot of the Midwest does well in those regards. Take a look at Minn., Wisc., and Iowa.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:32 PM

653 posts, read 3,399,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katerinaver View Post
how is it in wisconsin, what is it like?
One of the few remaining states with some degree of sanity and civility within it's boundaries. Higher taxes and 6 months of cold weather(minimum), have thwarted any big population explosions. Some very interesting cities in the state---Madison and La Crosse are wonderful cities, my favorites. The Fox River Valley is nice, allbeit somewhat a bastion of conservatism. The Greater Milwaukee area is a mixed bag. Suburbs all fairly decent, some nice pockets within the city itself, other areas less than desireable. Northern Wisconsin still fairly quiet, peaceful and serene for the most part. Madison has a definitive air of liberalism within. Madison and it's environs are scenic, clean and the city boasts of low unemployment rates along with a low overall crime rate. My top pick will always be La Crosse, if for no other reason, just because of it's most beautifull location on the Mississippi River. (Coulee Country) Employment options in La Crosse , however, somewhat limited. Previous poster made mention of anywhere North of highway 29 would be nice. I would have to agree, with the exception of Madison and La Crosse, which are south of 29. If you want to go way up north, check out Marquette Michigan. Some might laugh, but Marquette is very unique and interesting.

Old 06-28-2007, 11:52 PM

76 posts, read 442,849 times
Upstate NY. Check out all the highly affordable, beautiful historical homes on websites like HistoricProperties. Any of the (beautiful) NY homes listed on there will be in a gorgeous, safe, small snow-filled town.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:27 AM

2,915 posts, read 3,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ K View Post
Upstate NY. Check out all the highly affordable, beautiful historical homes on websites like HistoricProperties. Any of the (beautiful) NY homes listed on there will be in a gorgeous, safe, small snow-filled town.
I agree!! I love all of New York especially all those picturesque little beach towns on the finger lakes and lake ontario
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.