U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-04-2011, 11:04 AM

275 posts, read 297,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You are so off about the northern halves of these states, Georgia has 220 peaks over 4000 feet, last time I checked MS is flat as a pancake a few small hills and AL has very low ridges and can hardly be called mountains.
I excluded Georgia out of this list.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM

11,067 posts, read 9,139,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Louisiana is Southern but to me has always felt a little different than the other three. It has more of a French influence and the food and religion are different than in the other three, as evidenced by the Cajun and Creole cultures. New Orleans is the largest city and is a place many describe as the most unique city in America. It has a very rich tradition of music, architecture, food and art and if you have never been I highly reccomend a visit. The French influence is very strong there and there are more Catholics than in other Southern states. Laws are based on the French Napoleonic Code rather than the English Common Law which is the basis of laws in other states. The Gulf of Mexico and the Mississippi River are very important culturally and you can really see this in the food such as gumbo and jambalaya which often contain oysters and crawfish. Petrolium/oil is a big part of the economy. Shipping is another important part of the economy.

Hope that helps differentiate four similar but unique states.
Napoleonic Code isn't really what the laws are based off of, never really have been. It's something for tourists, like vodou/vodun/voodoo religion. English Common law is pretty much what we use. All of south Louisiana is majorly catholic, which is much different that the other states. The northern half of LA resembles more of the other states, just different names.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:01 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,047,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Napoleonic Code isn't really what the laws are based off of, never really have been. It's something for tourists, like vodou/vodun/voodoo religion. English Common law is pretty much what we use. All of south Louisiana is majorly catholic, which is much different that the other states. The northern half of LA resembles more of the other states, just different names.
The Napoleonic Code does indeed have a strong influence in Louisiana, more so than in any other state. Thus you generally can't get reciprocity to practice law in Louisiana the way you can in other states. It is not completely different, but there are important differences and it is not "something for tourists".

Is Louisiana under Napoleonic law? - By Daniel Engber - Slate Magazine

Old 05-04-2011, 02:16 PM

11,067 posts, read 9,139,162 times
Of course more than any other state, because we are the only state with it, but we don't live a different life because of it. Yes but when tourists hear it, they think its an obvious difference in life just because we're under Napoleonic code. Just like they're are people who practice Vodou in New Orleans, but its mostly catered to draw tourists.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:02 PM

149 posts, read 148,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You are so off about the northern halves of these states, Georgia has 220 peaks over 4000 feet, last time I checked MS is flat as a pancake a few small hills and AL has very low ridges and can hardly be called mountains.

He isn't "so off" by any means. Alabama has just as many 2000+ peaks as Georgia has 4,000+ peaks. The North parts of both states are very "ridgey" and have plenty of "peaks". They both have diverse land scapes with mountains giving way to piedmonts, to fall line hills to Gulf Coastal Plain. The main obvious difference is Georgia has mega metro Atlanta. Otherwise, the states are very similar.

Po-boy said it best. Louisiana, btw, is easily the most unique state of the four. South Louisiana is a fascinating culture of its own.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:38 PM

9,742 posts, read 8,764,532 times
Louisiana has had to rebuild itself after hurricanes. Alabama now has to rebuild itself after tornadoes. Georgia had to rebuild itself after General Sherman said "hi." Mississippi just has to rebuild itself, period.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:48 PM

1,942 posts, read 2,349,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 205 View Post
He isn't "so off" by any means. Alabama has just as many 2000+ peaks as Georgia has 4,000+ peaks. The North parts of both states are very "ridgey" and have plenty of "peaks". They both have diverse land scapes with mountains giving way to piedmonts, to fall line hills to Gulf Coastal Plain. The main obvious difference is Georgia has mega metro Atlanta. Otherwise, the states are very similar.

Po-boy said it best. Louisiana, btw, is easily the most unique state of the four. South Louisiana is a fascinating culture of its own.
No, AL does not have that many 2000 foot peaks, and anyway Mt. Cheaha is only 2413 feet, and is prominence above the surrounding terrain is 1258 feet.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,294,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Excuse my ignorance.

I haven't ever been to any of these places. I don't know much about them.

So, that brings me here to get some real-life insight. Some cool stories, anecdotes and secrets. What seperates these states? Is is geography or socio-economic differences?

Please people don't get all offended. I just am a curious guy trying to learn more. I'm sure there are tons of people out there who have no idea what the difference between Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan is, and that's fine because I wouldn't expect people to unless you've lived and visited
I've never been to any of the states (except for a three-hour layover in Hartsfield International Airport), but right off the bat I know that:

* There's a significant Cajun / Acadian cultural region in Louisiana. The region does not cover the entire state, but it does cover its most famous city (New Orleans). This difference is still distinct enough as to be palpable; Cajuns are generally Catholic, while the rest of the South is ardently Protestant, usually Baptist. I think it was Pope John Paul II who was quoted as saying that New Orleans is the most Catholic city in the country; and, from one person I talked to (not saying that one person is a reliable source), the Catholicism practiced there is definitely more of an active Catholicism (unlike Rhode Island or Connecticut, which have a more nominal Catholic population); confession lines still exist. And a strongly Southern Baptist city would certainly not celebrate Carnival each year (though I do believe there exist Carnival celebrations on the MS coast - but is that Baptist or Catholic?)!

Also, there is still a small French-speaking contingent in Louisiana; compare this to the rest of the south, which is mainly either (Great) British or African in heritage.

* I've heard that Atlanta is so "infiltrated" by Yankees it doesn't really have a "Southern" ambiance anymore. Of course, I'm sure driving outside the metropolitan area will place you firmly in the Deep South, though. But Atlanta is a very international city, something which probably can't be said of Birmingham or Columbus.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:48 PM

2,717 posts, read 2,315,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Mississippi doesn't have doesn't that clear separation since most of the state tends to look the same, except maybe near the coast.
Mississippi looks distinctly different in the Delta compared to the rest of the state. North Mississippi has some gentle rolling hills and mixed forest land while south Mississippi looks different in that is mostly flat and is towering pines. If somebody dropped me into any of these three areas blindfolded and then let me look around and told me I was in a part of Mississippi I could easily tell them which part.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:42 PM

818 posts, read 474,145 times
With the exception of Louisiana which has the culturally unique New Orleans, the other 3 are the same, you cant even tell the difference culturally between MS, AL, and GA with backward religious zealots and pick up truck culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.