Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 11:33 PM

16,505 posts, read 26,123,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post

* There's a significant Cajun / Acadian cultural region in Louisiana. The region does not cover the entire state, but it does cover its most famous city (New Orleans). This difference is still distinct enough as to be palpable; Cajuns are generally Catholic, while the rest of the South is ardently Protestant, usually Baptist. I think it was Pope John Paul II who was quoted as saying that New Orleans is the most Catholic city in the country; and, from one person I talked to (not saying that one person is a reliable source), the Catholicism practiced there is definitely more of an active Catholicism (unlike Rhode Island or Connecticut, which have a more nominal Catholic population); confession lines still exist. And a strongly Southern Baptist city would certainly not celebrate Carnival each year (though I do believe there exist Carnival celebrations on the MS coast - but is that Baptist or Catholic?)!

Also, there is still a small French-speaking contingent in Louisiana; compare this to the rest of the south, which is mainly either (Great) British or African in heritage.

New Orleans isn't in the Acadiana region of the state, that's south central to SW Louisiana. MS and AL coasts are a mix of catholic and baptist. And many people in Acadiana speak Cajun French as there aren't many transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 07:23 AM

23,333 posts, read 43,805,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
You are so off about the northern halves of these states, Georgia has 220 peaks over 4000 feet, last time I checked MS is flat as a pancake a few small hills and AL has very low ridges and can hardly be called mountains.
It doesn't appear that he was including GA in his particular comparison. You are correct, though; NE AL is more accurately described as having low (and iron ore-rich) ridges and hills than as mountainous. Regardless, it is a lovely region; the drive from Chattanooga to Birmingham on I-59 is a favorite of mine.
Topographically, I've long considered Birmingham to resemble a downscaled Los Angeles; like LA, the downtown area is on a flat plain, and in both cities you begin to encounter the affluent neighborhoods as you begin to rise up into the hills.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:44 AM

7,641 posts, read 18,056,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
New Orleans isn't in the Acadiana region of the state, that's south central to SW Louisiana. MS and AL coasts are a mix of catholic and baptist. And many people in Acadiana speak Cajun French as there aren't many transplants.
Thank you for dispelling my misconception.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,619,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Excuse my ignorance.

I haven't ever been to any of these places. I don't know much about them.

So, that brings me here to get some real-life insight. Some cool stories, anecdotes and secrets. What seperates these states? Is is geography or socio-economic differences?

Please people don't get all offended. I just am a curious guy trying to learn more. I'm sure there are tons of people out there who have no idea what the difference between Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan is, and that's fine because I wouldn't expect people to unless you've lived and visited
Georgia has Atlanta, Louisiana has New Orleans. Those cities are topics unto themselves.

Outside those two cities, the states are pretty similar if you ask me.

Mississippi and Louisiana have more french influence than Alabama or Georgia, and they also have stronger native american influence that lasted longer.

Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi have much more upland "bible belt" territory than Louisiana. Culturally "Appalachian", although not necessarily in the geographic sense.

Also, as I understand it, south Louisiana / New Orleans has a different racial history than the rest of the south. I'm not a historian so don't quote me on this, but I understand that it was almost like a 'safe haven' for mixed race people, compared to the Mississippi delta or the black belt of Alabama.

Last edited by le roi; 05-06-2011 at 08:29 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,619,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Mississippi doesn't have doesn't that clear separation since most of the state tends to look the same, except maybe near the coast.
i don't agree. the delta looks drastically different from the hilly northeastern part of the state.

Old 05-06-2011, 01:58 PM

3,636 posts, read 10,699,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't agree. the delta looks drastically different from the hilly northeastern part of the state.
Agreed. I traveled from Memphis to Oxford a few months ago, I was so surprised at how hilly it was in Northern MS. A lot more hilly than Memphis

Old 05-06-2011, 03:19 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,986,087 times
Northern Mississippi is quite hilly actually as is N Ala and Ga. Well Ga has mountains to be sure and Al has well developed ranges and ridges. N La is flatter than the others but still the land rolls once you get west of Monroe coming from the east. If there were no trees on any of this land it would look midwestern.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Georgia has Atlanta, Louisiana has New Orleans. Those cities are topics unto themselves.

Outside those two cities, the states are pretty similar if you ask me.

Mississippi and Louisiana have more french influence than Alabama or Georgia, and they also have stronger native american influence that lasted longer.

Alabama, Georgia, and Mississippi have much more upland "bible belt" territory than Louisiana. Culturally "Appalachian", although not necessarily in the geographic sense.

Also, as I understand it, south Louisiana / New Orleans has a different racial history than the rest of the south. I'm not a historian so don't quote me on this, but I understand that it was almost like a 'safe haven' for mixed race people, compared to the Mississippi delta or the black belt of Alabama.
It was sort of a safe haven. Many Creoles or mulattos populated New Orleans and even ran the city if I'm not mistaken. With all of the immigration from the ports, the mulatto population was significant. That still is the case today, race relations are good in New Orleans, compared to even some cities outside of the south.
Acadiana is similar as the Cajuns were oppressed and didn't want to exercise that type treatment to people. Creoles are also in Acadiana.
North Louisiana definitely is more of the bible belt but with south LA's natural influence, they have some of our flair as well.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:13 AM

1,937 posts, read 4,690,366 times
Here is the difference right here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Georgia 9,687,653Alabama 4,779,736Louisiana 4,533,372 Mississippi 2,967,297

Old 05-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdwell View Post
Northern Mississippi is quite hilly actually as is N Ala and Ga. Well Ga has mountains to be sure and Al has well developed ranges and ridges. N La is flatter than the others but still the land rolls once you get west of Monroe coming from the east. If there were no trees on any of this land it would look midwestern.
North La is similar to the latitude equivalent to MS it's just that MS has much more hills as it goes farther north. Louisiana has one peak that's very low. But we have very nice rolling hills in the northern Florida parishes that no one knows about, and it's in southern Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.