U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 10:10 AM

8,521 posts, read 13,548,634 times

Advertisements

Lord knows there are plenty of South threads, and plenty of White threads, but I wonder how these groups of people view their counterparts in different regions? Is there as much of the North/South thing going on here? Or do most Whites tend to identify well with each other as far as region goes?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:19 PM

3,806 posts, read 4,999,345 times
White people in general don't identify as some "white" group. White supremacists do, but they're about the only folks who do so in a normal situation. I don't feel I have much in common with white people from up north at all.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:12 PM

12 posts, read 12,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
White people in general don't identify as some "white" group. White supremacists do, but they're about the only folks who do so in a normal situation. I don't feel I have much in common with white people from up north at all.
No, you just live in the same country, speak the same language, probably have the same religion, look very similar, your ancestors came from the same continent and have a Western heritage going back millennia. Nothing at all.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:40 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,847,782 times
This one has already been done: Southern Whites Vs. Northern Whites

Old 05-06-2011, 08:21 PM

674 posts, read 881,521 times
I don't know why there is such a fascination with race/location/poverty/wealth/education/location on this board.

How does this differ from racism in the sense that race is still the most important issue being discussed as if it matters?

Distinguishing between race as if it's an important factor relevant to such general discussions does little to close the gap between the idea of race vs. race and the blatant fact that we're all people, individuals and should be treated as such.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 PM

3,806 posts, read 4,999,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck Findley View Post
No, you just live in the same country, speak the same language,
It's a huge country, and the urban areas don't have a lot in commmon with the rural ones.

Quote:
probably have the same religion,
Depends on how you slice it. Given that the north is a hotbed for Catholicism and the so called "mainline" Protestant denominations while the South is a hotbed for fundamentalist and evangelical Protestant denominations I'd say its likely we'd disagree on a lot.

Quote:
look very similar,
So? We're humans. Our thoughts define us not our looks.

Quote:
your ancestors came from the same continent and have a Western heritage going back millennia. Nothing at all.
And north and south broadly speaking look on this fact differently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.