Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 07:07 PM

765 posts, read 2,127,780 times

Advertisements

Is the Eastern Midwest considered flyover country to people from the East and West coasts? Or is it just the areas further inland than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 07:11 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Umm some people in NYC think Philly is fly-over country. Cleveland, yes

Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM

818 posts, read 1,386,926 times
My colleagues and I once talked about this, seems the definition is very lax. Originally it meant flyover country anywhere that is not LA or NYC, because they are the two largest cities in the country on opposite coasts. Then the term was used primarily for east coast and west coast and more recently indicates any city not on a coast. Tampa, NOLA, Houston etc all on the periphery of a "dead zone" which means not all 4 sides surrounded by farm lands typical "flyover scenery" are exempted as well.

IMO using the term and anyone who does really shows how much of a douche that person is. I have biases of regions I dont like for example the deep south and central Florida but it typically shows inhumane and very abrasive behavior to refer to anyones hometown in such demeaning manner to portray a person with having an inferior life is the same as telling a person they are not human.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:48 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Being that Cleveland is the easternmost large midwestern town Im sure coastal types would consider it flyover country.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM

10,744 posts, read 23,798,187 times
Pretty much between the Apalachians and the Rockies (excluding Texas and Chicago) have always been below the radar for me. If I were to visit the coined term "Flyover Country" (coined in the 2004 election I believe), I'd probably go to Minnesota. I've wanted to see the Twin Cities for a while, but never made it a priority. Never thought much about Cleveland though. If I were to go to Ohio though I'd probably pick Cleveland over Columbus and Cincinnati. I hear Cleveland has a Little Italy, an alright downtown, and Lake Erie would be somewhat of a draw for me.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:52 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,226,528 times
Yes. I'm not saying I view it with the term's negative connotations, I'm just saying it fits the definition based on its geographical location.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:58 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Many people overlook and dismiss those states that are often called "flyover country" They are missing out on alot. If you have never seen the Lake Michigan beaches, or Mackinaw Island you have missed out. If you have never seen the pictured rocks or Wisconsin Dells you are missing out. If you have never seen the door peninsula, the apostle Islands you have missed out. If you have never seen the majestic Mississippi River or the Ohio river you are missing out. If you have never seen the beauty of Missouri and Arkansas Ozark region you have missed out. Never seen the Black hills or the badlands?? your missing out. I have been to 46 of the 50 states and some of the most interesting places are in "flyover country"

Old 05-09-2011, 08:38 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
If I want "flyover country", I'll just be the poor sap that gets dispatched on a load that has to go all the way up the 5 freeway from So-Cal.

The San Joaquin Valley puts me to sleep like the 70, 80, 90, or 94 going through the Plains.
However, I will say that the Plains states are less of a burden to deal with due to no weak, 55mph truck speed going through there.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I've sometimes heard the word "Ohidaho" used as a synonym for "Flyover Country" or "everything in the middle." That term seems to suggest that Ohio is "one of those flyover states"

Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Pretty much between the Apalachians and the Rockies (excluding Texas and Chicago) have always been below the radar for me. If I were to visit the coined term "Flyover Country" (coined in the 2004 election I believe), I'd probably go to Minnesota. I've wanted to see the Twin Cities for a while, but never made it a priority. Never thought much about Cleveland though. If I were to go to Ohio though I'd probably pick Cleveland over Columbus and Cincinnati. I hear Cleveland has a Little Italy, an alright downtown, and Lake Erie would be somewhat of a draw for me.
Side note: Cleveland Little Italy rocks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.