U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which State and why?
GEORGIA 12 31.58%
NEW JERSEY 3 7.89%
NORTH CAROLINA 6 15.79%
SOUTH CAROLINA 0 0%
TENNESSEE 1 2.63%
TEXAS 16 42.11%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,939 posts, read 3,994,445 times
Reputation: 1249

Advertisements

Georgia might be in running for Sears headquarters, reports say *| ajc.com


By Rachel Tobin

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Sears Holdings Corp. said Monday it may leave a Chicago suburb with its 6,200 jobs, and media reports put Georgia in the mix as a possible relocation site.


Which state if any would they pick and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,939 posts, read 3,994,445 times
Reputation: 1249
Ga, has the busiest airport in the world, port of Savannah and Brunswick, UPS headquarters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:21 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,752,313 times
Reputation: 7282
It's going to Houston.

Houston and Chicago established a contract that when the merger between United and Continental happened; Chicago could become the companies HQ and in exchange for that; Houston would get Sears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,939 posts, read 3,994,445 times
Reputation: 1249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's going to Houston.

Houston and Chicago established a contract that when the merger between United and Continental happened; Chicago could become the companies HQ and in exchange for that; Houston would get Sears.
Do you have that in writing, the article says nothing about that whatsoever??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Metro Atlanta, GA
449 posts, read 821,838 times
Reputation: 373
I really think that it's going to come down between Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas. All three cities can offer what Chicago offers in terms of business amenities at a lower cost of doing business. All three cities are major airline hubs as Chicago is. All three cities arguably have a better climate than Chicago. When it comes down to the employees, all three cities can offer comparable housing for less money than Chicago.

Looks like whoever puts up the most money in terms of incentives, wins this battle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,752,313 times
Reputation: 7282
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Do you have that in writing, the article says nothing about that whatsoever??
I made that up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 11:56 AM
 
11,200 posts, read 22,439,386 times
Reputation: 10957
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRS86 View Post
I really think that it's going to come down between Atlanta, Houston, or Dallas. All three cities can offer what Chicago offers in terms of business amenities at a lower cost of doing business. All three cities are major airline hubs as Chicago is. All three cities arguably have a better climate than Chicago. When it comes down to the employees, all three cities can offer comparable housing for less money than Chicago.

Looks like whoever puts up the most money in terms of incentives, wins this battle.
Which will more than likely just be Illinois in the end anyway. Sears had a 20 year exclusive deal with Illinois, and that contract spelled out all sorts of tax issues, etc.

That deal is up next year, so just like every other company does everywhere when their deal is up, they say "Well.....it's been fun but we're looking at other possibilities" so they put it out there for the state to draw up another contract of incentives.

It's more pomp and attention-getting at this point. The governor has already addressed Sears saying they'll set up meetings soon.

The louder you yell and the more you scare a state that you're thinking of leaving - the more you hope the state will pony up for incentives. Most companies leave areas because of mergers. It would take a lot of initiative for a company to pull up everything and just bail somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,425 posts, read 55,324,307 times
Reputation: 15498
Well, Illinois just gave Motorola a $100 million tax break not to relocate its mobile division HQ to California so I wouldnt be surprised if they also gave Sears(one of Chicago's most storied companies) incentives to remain in IL.

These companies have learned to hold us hostage havent they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 12:10 PM
 
11,200 posts, read 22,439,386 times
Reputation: 10957
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, Illinois just gave Motorola a $100 million tax break not to relocate its mobile division HQ to California so I wouldnt be surprised if they also gave Sears(one of Chicago's most storied companies) incentives to remain in IL.

These companies have learned to hold us hostage havent they?
That's 100% what Sear's is doing. They had a $200+ million tax deal with the state that's up next year. They're just looking now to extend that for another 15 years by threatening to leave. People think the state's increased corporate tax rate is why they're leaving, but they haven't and won't pay that tax anyway because of all the deals and the way it's set up. In actuality, a majority of companies in Illinois pay nothing on the corp. tax.

They'll ask, and the state will give it to them. Just like Caterpillar, Motorola and Continental Tire within the past month. They all barked, got a bone from the state and now they're happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2011, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,425 posts, read 55,324,307 times
Reputation: 15498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's 100% what Sear's is doing. They had a $200+ million tax deal with the state that's up next year. They're just looking now to extend that for another 15 years by threatening to leave. People think the state's increased corporate tax rate is why they're leaving, but they haven't and won't pay that tax anyway because of all the deals and the way it's set up. In actuality, a majority of companies in Illinois pay nothing on the corp. tax.

They'll ask, and the state will give it to them. Just like Caterpillar, Motorola and Continental Tire within the past month. They all barked, got a bone from the state and now they're happy.
San Francisco just gave Twitter a huge tax break to stop them from relocating to the suburbs and a bunch of other companies are now complaining that its not fair.

In other words, unless they operate for free, they'll never be satisfied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top