Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM

26 posts, read 98,258 times

Advertisements

I'm a single woman in Atlanta, and I'm seriously considering relocating to Silicon Valley in order to meet a man who is intelligent, not overly religious, decent-looking, fairly well-groomed, and nice (he must have a job, of course) . I've heard there are lots of single straight men in Silicon Valley/SF Bay area as well as in NYC. So, I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to move west or north.

Even if the male to female ratio is higher in Silicon Valley, I was wondering if there are more single men in the NYC area, just in terms of sheer numbers because of the larger population in general. Does anyone know how many single straight men there actually are in Silicon Valley? As opposed to actual numbers in NYC? I'm 34 years old, so I'm looking for men from age 32 to 38-ish.

If I were to move to Silicon Valley, are there any single men in their thirties left over there? Here in Atlanta, it seems everyone, and I mean EVERYONE in their thirties is married with a kid or two. Trust me, I've looked. Men marry young in the South compared to the coasts. If I stay on here, my only hope is to wait for the married men to start getting divorced. Does anyone know if men in their thirties are plentiful in SV?

Finally, if I do move to SV, where do I want to be to meet single men in the 32 to 38 age range? That is, what part of SV, precisely in what city or suburb? I know where I live will eventually boil down to where I find a job, but I'd like to find a job close to these areas.

Finally, since many of these men are techies who work crazy hours toiling away in their cubicles, where and when can I actually meet them? Do they ever leave their cubes to go get lunch and dinner at a restaurant, deli, or sandwich shop? If so, where do they go? Do they go to any particular gyms, bowling alleys, coffee shops, or sports bars? If so, where in SV are these places? If you're a single guy in SV, maybe you could give me some pointers about where to hang out.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:59 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
What about cities with a strong military presence too? Cities like Seattle, San Diego, Denver, The Tidewater area of VA, Minneapolis, Austin and San Antonio might work?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 PM

546 posts, read 1,176,997 times
I think there was some post here on CD long ago that said that in NYC there are many more single females in NYC versus single males, so you'll have lots of competition in NYC for a man since there are lots of single women there. I don't remember Silicon Valley or San Fransico area, but I do remember than on the west coast in general including LA and I would think Silicon Valley too there are many single males and a low amount of single females so I think your chances for finding a good man in California would be good.

Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
I'd second Denver. It has a large number of professional single men coupled with a lower cost of living than California, not to mention far less attitude.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:40 PM

704 posts, read 1,792,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'd second Denver. It has a large number of professional single men coupled with a lower cost of living than California, not to mention far less attitude.
I never understood the misconception that Denver is a good city for singles. It's an area that is full of families who moved here in the 90s, and a handful of singles centered on a handful of urban neighborhoods. That's about it.

That said, Denver is a fine city to live irrespective of your marital status. But part of what makes it a nice place to live is the family atmosphere that might make a single person feel a bit out of place.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:04 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
An example of why I said to consider military towns is Jefferson County NY, which has 108.5 males for every 100 female. Fort Drum, an Army base is there. Watertown is the closest city, but it is close to the 1000 Islands and Sackets Harbor.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:33 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
I never understood the misconception that Denver is a good city for singles. It's an area that is full of families who moved here in the 90s, and a handful of singles centered on a handful of urban neighborhoods. That's about it.

That said, Denver is a fine city to live irrespective of your marital status. But part of what makes it a nice place to live is the family atmosphere that might make a single person feel a bit out of place.

Actually it's not a generalized misconception though your view certainly is according to actual facts/statistics. See below:

There are 250,906 households in Denver, of which 23.2% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 34.7% are married couples living together, 10.8% have a female householder with no husband present, and 50.1% are non-families. 39.3% of all households are made up of individuals and 9.4% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.27 and the average family size is 3.14. Age distribution is 22.0% under the age of 18, 10.7% from 18 to 24, 36.1% from 25 to 44, 20.0% from 45 to 64, and 11.3% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 33 years. For every 100 females there are 102.1 males.

Source: US Census

Old 05-17-2011, 02:52 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,813,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post

I guess that's why every other young single person out here in Southern California is considering a move to Denver. When I am back as a Denver landlord I rent almost entirely to young, ultra fit, educated, attractive singles. Highlands Ranch is one thing----Denver proper is another Denver is without any question a destination for singles.

Last edited by Scott5280; 05-17-2011 at 03:43 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 AM

15 posts, read 27,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by single_gal_siliconvalley View Post
I'm a single woman in Atlanta, and I'm seriously considering relocating to Silicon Valley in order to meet a man who is intelligent, not overly religious, decent-looking, fairly well-groomed, and nice (he must have a job, of course) . I've heard there are lots of single straight men in Silicon Valley/SF Bay area as well as in NYC. So, I'm wondering if it would be a better idea to move west or north.
Thank you!
You don't have to leave Atlanta, there are a few guys here that fit very well your description .... (*** ME ***) , We just don't know where to find equally gal that want a relationship and not just "some fun". I tried dating here and despite having a good job, apartment, car, educated, well groomed I still end up heartbroken. Maybe i am just going to the wrong places..

Anyways,..to answer your question Santa Ana, Santa clara area are good, i got a few friends there, it is more expensive than ATL, but if you can pull it off good luck =) (sorry to see you go)

Old 09-09-2011, 05:33 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,946,544 times
If you're just looking to increase your chances by seeking a higher male to female ratio, then why don't you seek out a social or professional setting in which such is the case. Join a professional organization with more men, or a social club, sport, or meetup group in which the members are more highly male. There are also still many career fields and/or specific companies/employers where a typically evenly split work force is still majority male. I recommend to seek that out in any location you choose since then you will not only increase your chances of being around more men than women, but also you will have a common interest from the start. Moving to a specific city or metro sipmply because of male to female population stats seems like a long shot compared to seeking out specific places/meeting locations in any city where more men are likely to be found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.