U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-15-2011, 10:10 AM
 
197 posts, read 158,601 times
Reputation: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i'm against it and not because i'm some "bible thumper." i just find it hard to believe we went from some stupid fish to a human, and where in that evolution did we lose our reptile scales and grow hands and a brain capable of performing calculus? and why are we the only beings, friggin former reptiles, who evolved into genius beings creating the likes of the mona lisa, rome, athens, paris, london, the parthenon, the coliseum, stonehenge, etc? and so einstein's ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg grandpa's a friggin fish. wow. does that mean some of my distant cousins are still swimming around the atlantic ocean?
You know, when I was 10 I was wondering about all these things too. It wasn't until a few years later when I learned things like age of our planet, time span between most primitive life forms, earliest humans, and earliest civilizations then it all made sense to me.

Also I was finally able to answer the question that boggled me for a long time, how come I can't go to the zoo and see an ape turning into a human.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 AM
 
197 posts, read 158,601 times
Reputation: 140
Here's an article. It was written in 2009 but I'm sure things didn't change much in 2 years.

It doesn't have a breakdown by regions, but

Quote:
Belief drops to 24% among frequent church attenders
So, Captain Obvious suggests that in Bible Belt parts of the country percentage of those who deny evolution is always gonna be much higher than in secular regions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC NoVA
1,106 posts, read 1,117,448 times
Reputation: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
You know, when I was 10 I was wondering about all these things too. It wasn't until a few years later when I learned things like age of our planet, time span between most primitive life forms, earliest humans, and earliest civilizations then it all made sense to me.

Also I was finally able to answer the question that boggled me for a long time, how come I can't go to the zoo and see an ape turning into a human.
i understand all of that. i still just can't believe it. it's not my choice, i just can't. i aced biology, i simply gave the teachers the answers they wanted to hear even when i didn't agree and that went for all subjects. one of my teachers would constantly rave on about multiculturalism, peace, change, hope, homeless people not being able to apply for jobs because they don't have an address (which is completely false).

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 05-15-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 08:17 PM
 
1,592 posts, read 1,636,319 times
Reputation: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i understand all of that. i still just can't believe it. it's not my choice, i just can't. i aced biology, i simply gave the teachers the answers they wanted to hear even when i didn't agree and that went for all subjects. one of my teachers would constantly rave on about multiculturalism, peace, change, hope, homeless people not being able to apply for jobs because they don't have an address (which is completely false).
dude it's not that hard to ace middle school biology, it doesn't mean you're an expert or anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 09:29 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
4,204 posts, read 3,817,121 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
i'm against it and not because i'm some "bible thumper." i just find it hard to believe we went from some stupid fish to a human, and where in that evolution did we lose our reptile scales and grow hands and a brain capable of performing calculus? and why are we the only beings, friggin former reptiles, who evolved into genius beings creating the likes of the mona lisa, rome, athens, paris, london, the parthenon, the coliseum, stonehenge, etc? and so einstein's ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg grandpa's a friggin fish. wow. does that mean some of my distant cousins are still swimming around the atlantic ocean?
I concur. One need not be a "bible thumper" to come to such a conclusion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 09:31 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
4,204 posts, read 3,817,121 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I support it, since I seem to encounter Sub-Hominids frequently in my day-to-day life. Just look at how many you find on this forum.
Although, LovinDecatur makes an excellent case for evolution given the multitude of sub-hominids spewing hate/nonsense.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 09:34 PM
 
Location: OKIE-Ville
4,204 posts, read 3,817,121 times
Reputation: 2125
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
the what seemed to be endless course on it in biology class, of which i aced, was more than enough. i just don't believe it. i don't have to believe it. i can't take seriously the supposed "fact" that i have distant cousins swimming around the potomac river, no matter the the little pieces of genetic relation they may find in a different living thing to another living thing. i'd expect two different living things to have some similarities, that doesn't mean i believe i'm related to an alligator or anything less than a human. we probably looked different 10,000 years ago, but that doesn't mean i think we were a reptile with hundreds of blades for teeth swimming around gobbling fish whole. and no amount of educational insults toward me will change my belief. i was a straight-a student in one of the best education systems in the country. call me an idiot, tell me to take some theoretical class in the very thing i don't believe in, but i don't believe it. i sat through the teacher going on about it and began not to believe it.
>>>>>
and no amount of educational insults toward me will change my belief. i was a straight-a student in one of the best education systems in the country. call me an idiot, tell me to take some theoretical class in the very thing i don't believe in, but i don't believe it. i sat through the teacher going on about it and began not to believe it.
<<<<<.

True. They usually resort to ad hominem attacks when they can't prove anything.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM
 
9,801 posts, read 7,955,914 times
Reputation: 5926
Evolution is not an issue of belief. It is a scientific fact which is not disputed in mainstream scientific circles.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 PM
 
4,986 posts, read 5,119,190 times
Reputation: 4550
Well I don't believe Florida is considered the "deep south" but I was born and raised there and now live in Texas. I've moved and traveled across the entire east coast. Mid-west. Been to Canada, France. I've made a ton of friends from the liberal west and all across the world. If there is any bible-thumper that's cultured and educated, it's me. And all I have to say is that I don't believe in evolution. I used to though. When I was a child, biology class of course always taught evolution. I really didn't care. No one I knew did. It was just another subject to us. And we were a class of all kinds of races, culture, and religions. It wasn't until a while back I started to get deeper in the word of God and science studies I started connecting the dots between creationism and world geography. Since I'm typing on a cell phone, I'm not going to go into extreme detail. But ill give you a little sample of what I discovered. The Bible says God created us out of the dust of the Earth and that dust is what were going to turn back to when it's all said and done. Think about what your body is made of. Most of the chemicals and elements found in the body are inside the Earth. And then think about cremation. When you burn a dead human being to ash. The end result of your entire body and the the chemicals and elements (that are found in the Earth) of what your body is made of, burnt up completely. This confirms what God was talking about when he said he created us out of the "dust" of the Earth.

And there's much more where that came from. I urge people to look up evidence for creationism. If people looked and studied beyond what the so-called "experts" were saying about something God said differently, they'd discover there's a ton of information confirmed by the Bible that they never reveal to you in science studies and biology classes.

Now don't get me wrong. I'm not speaking out against evolution. I'm not trying to create a revolution. I just know what my God tells me in his word. You just have to use some common sense and basic science to understand. People who speak out and say there is no evidence for creationism are very funny to me because they ARE the living evidence and there's a whole world of research done on creationism out on the web and in books just like evolution. You just have to spend some quality time researching along with the connection from the Bible to connect the dots.

Now let's establish some facts. I'm not from the deep south. I'm a native Floridian now living in Texas. I wasn't raised in a bible-thumping home or family. My whole family has pretty much liberal views when it comes to the Bible and all that. Yes, I accepted Christ as my savior. No, I never rejected the theory of evolution. Until I got older, wiser, and more serious with my relationship with the Lord. I've taken biology classes. Heard and read all the evidence and cases for evolution in the world. And I've come to the conclusion it's not true. Not one bit of it. I know everything my God said in that Bible is true and told and I believe it. People can believe what they want to believe. I'm not judging. I don't care what you or your friend chose to believe. If your cool, I'm cool. No animosity here. What I don't understand or condone is people pigeonholing the southern region of the United States of America as "ignorant" or "bigoted" just because a majority follow a particular religious belief or some do not accept evolution. You can find many people across the nation and world who do not believe in evolution. What's your point? It's not exclusive to one area of the U.S. and the country as a whole. If you think so, then perhaps you are the one that is ignorant. I really have a hard time understanding these questions and why they are asked in the first place if you know (as an educated person) that some people accept evolution and some don't. Believing in one or the other doesn't make you any more educated or higher class. You can use the same argument for abortion. Some believe in it. Some don't. That's not exclusive to the "Bible belt". That's worldwide.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-16-2011, 05:19 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 6,207,066 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticGermanicPride View Post
the what seemed to be endless course on it in biology class, of which i aced, was more than enough.
Obviously it wasn't.

But hey, if you're going to believe what you want to believe no matter what the evidence overwhelmingly demonstrates, then that's on you. And no one has insulted you in this thread for your beliefs, so don't feign the whole innocent martyr routine.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top